Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna
Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna Reviews: 140 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: A complete 10-160 wire antenna constructed to handle extreme weather
More info: http://www.k1jek.com

You can write your own review of the Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna.

KJ7MX Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2019 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had the antenna up a week but so far I'm really impressed. I have it up in an inverted vee configuration with the center at 30' and the ends around 15'. I run it through the MFJ 912 4:1 balun located outside the shack underneath the deck. There was about 25' of left over twin lead which I wrapped in a 4' loop underneath the deck. The balun is grounded to an 8' ground rod.

I replaced a GAP Titan that I'd been running for about 7 years, so that is my baseline of comparison. The GAP did well when the bands were better a year or two ago, but the noise level was extremely high - rarely less than S8 or S9. In addition it was sending more and more RFI back into the shack to the point it was screwing up my computer, the cable tv box, and of course my radios. I was no longer able to use my linear or my outboard mfj electronic keyer. I tried a 3kw 1:1 balun on the coax line and it burned it up running 400 watts.

With that said I put the Cobra Ultralite Jr. up in about an hour, came down to the shack, turned on my TS-830 to 40m and crossed my fingers. The first thing I noticed was that I was hearing static crashes from a distant thunder/lightning storm in the midwest. The band just sounded "odd" until i realized my noise level had been so dang high with the GAP vertical that it drowned out the static crashes! I was hearing more stations on 40 than I had ever heard, and for the first time in 7 years I was hearing the band the way it was supposed to be. Next test was to check transmit loading. My MN-2000 tuner was able to dial it down to 1:1 on all bands except 80m below about 3.650, where it will only tune it to 2.5:1. 75M tunes to 1:1. Next was to fire up the AL-80A and check the RFI. Previously 40m with the linear would light up the computer, computer speakers, and lights, and somehow turn my Astron 35amp 12v supply off. I gave it the smoke test with 600 watts and no RFI! I mean NONE! I checked every single band with the linear and found a very slight noise from the computer speakers on 20m. Slight as in if you weren't listening for it, you wouldn't hear it. So the RFI is 99.9% cured.

Next was to check my signal on the SDR stations. I'm in WA State and the Cobra put me 2 s units above the noise in Utah, where my GAP always had me barely readable in the noise. For the first time I was able to hear myself in GA, PA, and DC on 40m.

One last example is that I frequently check into the Noontime Net on 7283.5. There has always been some sort of broadcast carrier that sits on that freq that forced use of a notch filter. With the Cobra, that carrier is gone. Not down in the noise, but gone. The signal strength of the various net control stations are about the same, however the noise level is now between S4-S6 instead of S8-S9+.

So far I'm very impressed with the Cobra in comparison to what I was using. No RFI, noise level has decreased 4-5 S units, and I'm getting as good or better reports than I did with the Titan. The only drawback is that I can't get the SWR down below 2.5 on 80m CW band. I'll be raising the height by 20' at all points, so maybe that will help some. I had to take the Titan down to install the center pole for the Cobra and was going to relocate the Titan to another corner of the yard. Now, it's going to be relocated to the local dump.

KB5RU Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2018 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Very Good for limited space  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Sr. model and it allows me to get on 160 in a limited space. It works as advertised and loads on all bands thru 10 with the at-auto tuner by palstar.

N4QEX Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2017 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Four Plus Durable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a Cobra UltraLite Multiband antenna I purchased new up at 60 feet for over 8 years. It works well and is easily the most durable dipole I've ever had. Easily a best buy for durability and at least as good as any other of similar length for performance! Highly recommend.

W3JRD Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2017 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the junior. It out performs my Hustler 6BTV and my G5RV. It is a great antenna. The customer service is unheard of these days. After experiencing a little issue during installation, I called the phone number listed on the instructions. This was around 5:30 ET on the Friday before Easter weekend. Two rings and the owner/maker answers the phone. He gladly provided some tips and encouraged me to call back if I had any problems. Most importantly, and like I said earlier, the antenna is superior to anything else I own. Highly recommend.

K3MAW Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2017 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Great general purpose antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna after a friend recommended it. The difference was he has the JR and I have the SR. I really wanted something that would fit in my lot that would get me on 160 and would be easy to put up and maintain. In the three years or so the only problem with the antenna system was a broken dacron rope that caused one end to come down, this certainly was not the antenna's fault. I found that my tuner will find a match from 6m to 160m. I have DXCC phone and cw on several bands using 100w with this antenna from the east coast. I have been very pleased.

KC8HXO Rating: 4/5 Oct 3, 2016 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Great choice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used "Goop" to seal all connections, and it might even strengthen them somewhat. No issues in about 18 Months of Michigan weather. Performance as expected. It's a doublet. Nothing more. Don't expect miracles. It does allow me to use 160M occasionally, in the length of an 80M Dipole. I like it.

KC2RKR Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2016 15:36 Send this review to a friend
so far so good   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
just put up the senior today just have a few bands that are fighting me trying to tune but i like it easy to put up

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2015 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Still working 3 years later!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the senior version and It's been up now for 3 years.

It is still working just fine.

I highly recommend it.

W4SKB Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2015 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Cobra Ultra-Lite Senior up for several years now and it is the best antenna I have ever used. Other antennas compared against include an 80-meter full-wave loop at about 40 feet, 40-meter dipole at 35 feet, B&W TFD at 30 feet, trap vertical.

I highly recommend this antenna, just spend the extra money and get the senior model.

AB3ME Rating: 3/5 Jun 13, 2015 18:01 Send this review to a friend
not durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a cobra ultralight up at 50 feet at my new home for two years. It has worked wonderfully, except lately, I am not able to tune 75 meters at all. It tunes up just fine on all bands other than 75 and of course 160. I reasoned that because the other bands tune fine, there must be a bad crimp on the last leg of the wire on one or both ends. Took the whole thing down and re-crimped all wires with new terminals and checked all wires with my ohm meter and all was fine. Put it back up and still having the same problem. Spoke with Joe and he felt it might be the 450 ohm twin-lead..??? if so,a why does it tune up so easy and operate on all other bands but not 75M. This seems to have happened in the last few weeks. I suspect one side or both of that third leg has a broken or ready to break wire. Thus my summary of a NOT DURABLE antenna.
I like the antenna so much, I ordered full sized 160M version. Have a tower to put up with a TA33 so, will still need something for the lower frequencies. Wish this antenna was more durable, as it really works well when all things are good evidently. Thinking I will re manufacture the new 160M version...throw away that cheap three conductor rotor cable and replace it with some insulated 14GA THNN. this should cure this problem.