Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant Help

Reviews Summary for Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant
Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 6M @ 3.5dB; 2M 6.2dB; 440 @ 8.6dB; 150 watts; 7'11"; fiberglass
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/base.html

You can write your own review of the Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant.

WD4AB Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2018 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the GP-15 over the weekend just in time for the VHF Contest. Was surprised how well it worked on 6 meters. worked 48 contacts on sporadic E in s short time. Performance on 2 meter and 440 was very good and was able to hit repeaters with ease. Antenna was mounted at a mere 25ft, SWR less than 1.5 on all bands including the 6 meter SSB portion after tuning the stub. A good choice for limited space installation.

W2RWL Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2018 04:28 Send this review to a friend
Great gain - easy to tune 6M  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am so sick of folks saying things like "lightning magnet". ALL vertical antennas are lightning magnets. disconnect them and put them to ground during storms you idiots. This antenna is a great performer on FM or SSB and I have pumped 100 watts 6M SSB thru it with no problems. With the internal tuner on my FT-991A this thing tunes up perfectly. 6M tuning is touchy without a good analyzer. tuning 6 effects 2/440 and you have to find the happy spot, or medium of the 3. I find a 410mm whip length works best.

F4EPP Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2018 04:27 Send this review to a friend
What a good scanner antenna as well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me write another review after several years of serious activity with it and tests/comparisons with other antennas.
It's definitly hard to beat, even with V/U Yagis antennas. It does always a great job even outside of Hamband, what is very rare. Diamond antennas are usually bad outside of our bands, this antenna keep receiving signals correctly. I monitor military air band, Uhf, civil airband below 50 mhz activity.
Ragarding Hambands, it's all you need for 6m summer ES. That's true that it won't beat Yagis for TE propagation but I tried though !
Everybody around are amazed about the performance of my Comet in V/U. Last fall I had to use it with an HT (5 watts) several months, my FT-991 was under repair, they almost couldn't believe the DX I did with that set up. I realized how easy and powerfull FM DX is when there's tropospheric propagation with a decent antenna.

N2MDV Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2017 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Great, depending on where you use it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
On fairly flat terrain, this antenna is an all around performer. That extra gain on 2M and 440MHz will work well, as long as you can get this antenna above, or way away, from trees. Deep in a valley, expect only the unity gain of 6M to get you out. That narrow radiation pattern just goes to the valley walls and gets reflected back to you. A 1/4-wave GND-plane works there. No tuning on 2M and 440MHz should you want to work out of band FREQ's, but then again I don't ever remember getting out of band intermod, like I do with a wide band Discone. 6M is tunable and in a pinch you can work CW, SSB, and AM, portion of the 6M band vertically. So, before deciding on this antenna, 1st do research of the terrain around you.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2016 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Needs effective ground plane  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with all the comments concerning lack of performance on six meters.
However, a simple fix is to fashion a second,dedicated ground plane for 50 MHz.
I used a junk chicken-band vertical, scavenging the three solid aluminum radials and mounting plate. I cut the radials for 50 MHz and mounted it just below the existing radials on the antenna.

The performance difference is night & day. It now acts like a true quarter wave vertical on six with no detriment to 144/440.

K0HWY Rating: 3/5 Aug 28, 2016 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Get What You Pay For  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the Comet GP-15 for about four years now and it's been a decent antenna for the most part. However, decent is not great and this is reflected in the price. If you want a good performer on 6 meters, this antenna is not what you need. Although it will tune up exactly as described, a good match does not equate with a good antenna. The antenna does much better on 2 meters and does an average job on 70cm. My recommendation would be to buy a really good 2m/70 cm antenna and put some serious cash into a true 6m antenna, especially if you're serious about using 6. Due to its 6m shortcomings, I would rate this antenna at 3.

W5JMW Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2016 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good so far..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a ar-270b up on the tower.took a lightning hit.I put this up as a temp.BUT,seem to be great good on vhf,uhf and 6.Swr good at 20 ft.It will go up next and see what it can do...

F4EPP Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2016 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I could tune it easily for our 50 Mhz european dx band portion 6 feet above the ground and I didn't notice any swr change on the roof of my house. 144/430 was ok right away.
I have a 150 km range without propagation on Vhf and I easily reach 300 km with small daily tropo in the mornings and nights.I don't really know if it's a matter of a superiority compared to other antennas but mine works great. I did more than hundred qsos this summer (2015) on 6 mtrs but single hop only. I would have preferred 10 mtrs rather than 70 cm for the third band. I can't blame Comet as this kind of antenna doesn't exist yet !

W2RWL Rating: 3/5 Dec 3, 2014 22:48 Send this review to a friend
Not as great as it sounds  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
2 Meters and 440 work like a charm...I have the 6 meter stub tuned to 53.000MHz with a 1.1:1 SWR as suggested by many...Even though SWR on 6M is low across the band, the performance of this antenna on 6M is not all that great...I get constant reports of poor audio on 6M, but great reports on 2/440...I think 6M should stick with being on its own...

WB4U Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Just awsome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent construction. All elements and coils inside are soldered to maintain integrity over time. All hardware is stainless steel. No assembly required so there is less potential to make a mistake. Check all set screws to make sure they are tight and measure the 6 meter radial to ensure it is correct for the part of the band you intend to use. My GP-15 covers 51 to 54 MHz between the 2 to 1 SWR points, it covers all of the 2 meter band plus more and all of the 440 band plus more. On air performance it amazing. I can highly recommend this antenna. It will give you years of great service.