Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-761 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-761
ICOM IC-761 Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $650 - 725 (as of 3/2002)
Description: Top Notch HF Transceiver 10-160 meter, w/ gen'l coverage rec.
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic761/ic761.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-761.

KB2CPW Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2019 17:20 Send this review to a friend
I thought it would stink!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I got this radio in a lot of other Icom gear, back in the day, I noticed it was replaced rather quickly by the 765, that made me think it was a load, but thatís the farthest thing from the truth. I own both radios mentioned and I can tell you that this radio is outstanding. I love the receiver, the silky smooth VFO and it performs really well for a 30 plus year old radio. The problems are well documented and like all other rigs of its vintage, itís no stranger to cold solder joints and minor failures. But itís rather easy to repair with the load of info about the rig on the web. If youíre handy, a ham on a budget and want top notch performance in the sub 600 dollar range, you can surely find a good example of this radio on the web. The filter compliment is very good as well as this radio was second to the 781 so it did have some fine accoutrements like itís big brother. I did have to take an iron to it and fix the display (a rather common issue) with it flickering or taking a while to come on. No big deal as it owed me nothing being an old rig . My older Kenwood and Yaesu rigs all have a spool of solder on the mic cable for the same issues lol. The tuner is typical of 80ís auto tuners with not much range but it will usually find a match for most stubborn antennas. But even some radios of today have sub par tuners. If you have a decent antenna, it will tune it. Itís a small mention though, but I have to say, this rig truly shocked me with its abilities and performance.

KB2CPW Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2019 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Two!!??  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I got one of these in a local auction. Did a repair to the VFO encoder and the typical display issues and she was up and running. I already owned a 765 and compared the two. The 765 is pretty much well sorted, The 761, although a very different radio on the inside performs much like a 765 so youíre not missing much if you already have one.. When I got this rig, I got it with two 765ís (so I thought.) but one of those 765ís was actually a 761 in a 765 case lol. No big deal, but that extra one became a parts rig. But so far goes unneeded as almost all of my Icom repairs were cold solder joints or minor stuff. The same goes for the 765. So if youíre in the market for an older high end radio, the 761 or the 765 should be on your list. Big, sturdy, quiet RX and a pleasure to use.

VE3FST Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2016 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Awesome radio  Time owned: months
I have now owned both the 751 and 751a . These radio's look good , receive
Very well and are very simple to operate. The absence of a digital keyboard entry is not an issue . You simply use the memory channels and load them up. I use the stock mic and matching power supply. If you want to make a purchase , that will put a smile on your face . Buy one if you can.

KD7SKY Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2014 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Love this radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 2008 I had to sell my Yaesu FT-950 to get some extra money for my wife's upcoming medical procedure. In 2009 we moved to a small city lot and I began looking for another hf rig. Because of our financial reversals due to medical bills, I couldn't spend more than $700 on a new rig. I wanted a base station rig, so I started researching the older models and came across the IC-761 reviews. Having liked what I read, I started keeping an eye out for this radio on Ebay and the classifieds on QRZ, QTH, and Eham.

Finally I found a listing on QTH from a fellow in Arkansas and picked the radio up for $600 or so. Upon receiving it, I immediately turned it over to a radio repair/maintenance technician (Bud Garside in Sherwood, OR) to have the radio gone through. Other than some minor things (replacing the meter lamp), the radio came back with a clean bill of health and no need to do any major maintenance. I have been using this rig ever since and have logged a lot of stateside and DX contacts using a less-than-ideal antenna setup.

I highly recommend this radio.

KF7RNL Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2012 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned this radio for 6 months now and feel I am able to offer a review now. I purchased this radio from A SKs family a little over 6 months ago. Wanting the radio, I paid top dollar for it, even though I was unable to test it to see if it came on. This is a classic full size radio, or should I say, giant! I love the full size of it, great knob layout and ergonomic. It also has NO menus, so every function is either a knob, or a button. When I got it home, I found one problem with it and it was fixed in 5 minutes, since there was a "calibrator" push button! It was off by .2 khz! Easy fix!

There are no stations that I can not talk to, if I can hear them and the receive sensitivity is OUTSTANDING! There are times, when I hear foreign DX calling CQ and I am the only US station returning! That is a good feeling knowing that I have my antenna and radio in tune with each other and able to engage in some great DX operations. The power out is rated at 100 Watts, but I know I from testing, it produces a fair amount over 100 watts!

The one I purchased still has the built in power supply, but someone converted the radio to the 12V, 6 prong Icom plug in the back of the radio! That is fine with me, since it gets warm without it, so it must be a scorcher with the built in 12 power supply. It also makes it easier if I want to do field operations with it and batteries. This one, had all the filters installed in it, so I can not say how well it worked before all filters were installed. I only know that it work's fantastic now in its current configuration. I also recently discovered it has the remote jack and I can read and write from the VFO using HRD and N1MM for hunting DX from the cluster!

All in all a great fun and fantastic radio! None of the trills of band scopes or other multitude of complex menus and displays. This radio, is about radio and finding and working signals!

This radio marks my 8th radio in the last year an half, I have owned Yaesu, Kenwood and Icoms radios.

Matthew Kent
KF7RNL

HI8CJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2012 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding rig!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radion is built like a tank. Excellent for SSB operation. Unsurpassed filter cascade. I'll stay with mine forever!

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2012 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Blast from the past!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was sold in an estate sale. When it arrived the lights flickered and there was no sound. First transmit I was told I was off frequency. Well, I opened it up and blew it out good, plugged the speaker back in on inside and cleaned the fan. I did a reset of the rig and the flickering problem went away. I replaced the signal meter light with a red LED, really pretty. Yes, the case has scratches but the old radio has won my affection. Not bad looking now that it's cleaned up. Great receiver and works nice with my Icom sp-20 speaker. I'm also using an Icom sm-20 mic. The audio reports are wonderful and breaking up pileups with 100 watts! It has a real compression on it as I am told it sounds like kicking on an amplifier when it's engaged. I bought this to resale, make a few bucks, but it hear better than my 756proIII...I think I will hang onto it for awhile. It won't leave my desk for less than $700. Now I want to try a 765!

M1JJK Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2010 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have run a IC-761 for over two year and it is an excellent rig. I am not going to bang on about how great it is (or not) as other people have covered that. But I will tell you about a few minor problems I have had with it.

1. There is a small relay that bypasses the 20db attenuator, the contacts get dirty and causes the attenuator to come on when you don't want it (usually when you've got a bit of good DX).
2. There is a DC to DC converter that's mounted on the display PCB this suffers from dry joints. The dry joints are on the DC to DC convert PCB not the display PCB. Symptom's are flickering display.
3. Some times the operating system crashes, this is normal (there is a lot of RF around!) just turn off and on. If this happens a lot and the display flickers its probably the DC to DC converter as in item 2 above.
4. The BAD news (not so minor). The trimmer caps in the PL unit may have aged and changed values. This causes a multitude of problems, which I won't list here. They have to be changed. There is an Icom Technical Bulletin on this subject which can be downloaded from their web site. You will also need the service manual, as a partial realignment will be required after these trimmers are replaced.

May I correct what K0ZL (review 3rd May 2008) said about the memory battery. The operating system is not in volatile memory, you can change the battery and all that you will lose is whats stored in the 32 memory channels. In fact there is no Piexx upgrade for this rig.

For its age that's not bad, so if you can get your hands on a worker at a good price snap it up. But do try and find out if the trimmers have been replaced. PS I only gave it 4 because I never give top marks!

AD5VJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2010 18:44 Send this review to a friend
REALLY GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the best radio for selectivity es cw work that I have ever heard or owned.

The SSB audio on this radio is suburb as well (very mellow and clear) not raspy, not muffled with DSP garbage.

When in CW mode the CW jumps right out at you, very clear and very easy to copy at some top speeds (45WPM+) I mention this because a radio has to reproduce the rx signal well in order to properly copy at these speeds.

I really like this radio in every respect, but would like to try a 765 one day so will probably trade it off (hope I am not sorry when I do :0)

73 es gud DX,
Bob AD5VJ

MM3XXW Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2009 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Superb radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio is such a pleasure to use, simple & intuitive.
No scrolling through menus here rather just easy effective controls right in front of you.

An exceptional receiver, great audio reports using the standard HM-12 mic, fan is silent as a whisper and the atu takes no time at all to tune both my dipole and vertical.
Adjusting the output audio requires removal of the base but it's a simple job and takes no time at all.

Bottom line ..... for it's age it's a definite winner!