Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-761 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-761
ICOM IC-761 Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $650 - 725 (as of 3/2002)
Description: Top Notch HF Transceiver 10-160 meter, w/ gen'l coverage rec.
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic761/ic761.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-761.

MM3XXW Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2009 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Superb radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio is such a pleasure to use, simple & intuitive.
No scrolling through menus here rather just easy effective controls right in front of you.

An exceptional receiver, great audio reports using the standard HM-12 mic, fan is silent as a whisper and the atu takes no time at all to tune both my dipole and vertical.
Adjusting the output audio requires removal of the base but it's a simple job and takes no time at all.

Bottom line ..... for it's age it's a definite winner!

DL7ISA Rating: 4/5 Apr 5, 2009 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The TX Audio of the IC-761 has not the STRENGTH like the IC-765. My Icom IC-765 sounded by far very best over all the Transceivers I had until now. Turning up the Mic Gain wit the Intend to make the Audio stronger, makes the 761 sound fizzling (bad) while the IC-765 sounds STRONGer when turning up the Mic Gain the same Level, I figured that out with the original Icom Handmics. Its difficult to describe the Sounding with Words: The 765 has more Depth (not meaning Bass), more Dynamic (PUNCHED), more Width, more... The IC-761 doesnt sound bad but can NOT produce the Audio Quality of the IC-765 at all.

The Relai is clicking to loud for my Opinion, its Rest taking to hear all the CLICK-CLICK-CLICK while full BK-in in CW !
The Notch Filter is fine, its soo narrow I could blank out some undesired CW Signal while I had a QSO in CW (and extra CW Filter was already build in and switched on).
What I found strange was when I switched the Radio off and on again, the last Frequency I was on, got deleted and the Radio set to another Frequency, maybee that was caused by a defect Memory Chip or an empty Memory back up Battery. Beside that everything worked as it should, no problem nor any failure whatsoever.

The NB & NB Wide Filters work, the Noise becomes reduced about 3 or 4 S Points although with some Sort QRM/QRN the NB Filters are overstrained and produce a crackling Noise. Turning the Knob for the NB Filters to far, the Noise becomes reduced even more but the desired Signal sounds muffled. A usefull NB-Level can be found quickly and then the NB is indeed helpfull to reduce QRM significantly. The Icom IC-756 Pro 3 has a DSP NR (Noise Reduction) but when I heard the Pro 3 receiving, its DSP NR made the Audio muffled, blurry or sounding like fading in and out (slowly). Beside all that the 761 is build like a Tank, heavy Quality. The Icom IC-7700 (maybee even the IC-7600) is better for those who are willing to spend about 7 times more than for a used IC-761 in good Condition, else the 761 is better and the Icom IC-765 best of them.

73 to all Friends

VE3FST Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2009 05:45 Send this review to a friend
One great performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have gone through many different rigs and this one stands out of the bunch . Its a larger size rig with easy to use knobs and buttons with plenty of room . You don't have all the fancy menues to confuse you either . Audio reports are always good and strong , receive is very clean . I do like the monitor feature , so you can hear your own audio as others hear it . I'm selling mine to move into a TS50 to run mobile for awhile . If you can find a clean one , go for it !

AB4VV Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 23:33 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE ON K0ZL  Time owned: more than 12 months
K0ZL states that the Icom 761 has volatile ram. This is wrong. If the battery in the 761 goes bad all that you have lost is the memory channels. The 761 still works. ITS THE ICOM 751 series that were the last of the ICOMS to have volatile Ram....

THE 761 is one of the best radios I have ever had. I love it !

WD0EDO Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2008 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Never To Old  Time owned: more than 12 months
This transceiver has proven its self for many years with reliability and quality to match along with a fit and finish since its time of purchase in the late 80's.It still looks as good and performs as well now as it did then.This is still one of Icoms outstanding HF transceivers that you would be very happy to own.

K8DGL Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2008 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had many many radios over the years and have a couple brand new ones now. But it seems I almost always go to the 761 when I want to get on the air. Simple to operate, great receiver and great audio reports.
Another bonus, you can still work on it.
Definitly a Keeper.

KD5ITM Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2008 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Good work horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 761 as my first HF radio back in 2000. Grate work horse. Its the only HF rig in my shack so it gets used almost every day. Iv been told that it has grate audio on transmit using the stock hand mic. I like how all the buttions and knobs are right there at the toutch of a hand. No menues to go through slowing you up when your working a contest or trying to get that DX. I use a G5RV inverted v up at 50 feet and the radio pushes my signal out there getting through to the DX. I havent had any problems with the rig. The tuner works good. The fan doesnt make too much noise. The NB filter works good on cutting out line noise. I guess the only thing that I wish was better is the stock SSB filter... I wish it was just a bit mor narrow. All in all its a grate rig.

K0ZL Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2008 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Tech's view  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 761 is a fine and handsome-looking rig. Some things to be aware of:

The two display driver chips, uPD549, are no longer available. I have only seen one fail however. It left a 751A dark; again, very rare failure.

The OS is in volatile ram. If the memory battery is older than about 5 years, you will need to get it changed by someone that knows how to do it without loosing the OS, or upgrade to the Piexx memory module for the 761. It's not just a "solder in" job.

2SC2904 Finals and 2SC3133 drivers are still available. These rarely fail however.

As mentioned in several reviews, the VCO trimmer caps do need to be changed to the ceramic trimmers, which are available from Digikey and Icom. It is not a trivial task, requiring unsoldering of the top of the VCO shield, using a high-wattage iron and an assitant to hold the board down after you get it out of the rig. Alignment is straighforward.

Last but not least, the 761 uses an internal switching power supply which is no longer available. If it fails, you have to mod the back of the rig a little to allow use of external 12v supply, using the commonly-available Ken-Ic-Yaes power cable. Not a big deal, but something to consider. All switchers fail eventually. Going to external PS does lighten the rig a bit. Using a good AC line filter (>$50.00 value at least) will help the PS survive line surges and spikes.

73, K0ZL

KD7VOK Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2008 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have now owned my ic-761 about 6 months and love the recieve.TX audio is outstanding...Heil GM-5 is a great match. Mine has had recent trmmer caps replaced which is a common problem. My only dislike so far is no band stacking registry. If you can find one grab it you won't regret it.

KK8V Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2008 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio with a great receiver.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When the 761 hit the market, the price was above what I could afford at that time. I promised myself that one day, I would have one. Well, after being off the air for 6 years, about 1 1/2 years ago, I decided to get back on, and at the same time, decided to sell the newer radio that I had and go backwards. I started to keep my eye out for the 761. I found one in mint condition without a mark on it, at a very reasonable price. It came with a mint SM8 mic, the original box, and manual, as did the radio. I enjoyed it so much, I kept my eye out for a second one. It wasn't long, I had a second one. The receive, in my opinion, is as good as any previous radio that I have had. It is large as a radio should be, in my opinion, and extremely simple to operate. I receive excellent audio reports on transmit, and like I said, I couldn't ask for a better receiver. Also, no menus or tubes to worry about. What else could you ask for?