Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 2000a Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 2000a
ACOM 2000a Reviews: 103 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $6850 USD
Description: ON4UN demonstrates the ACOM 2000A Automatic HF Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/

You can write your own review of the ACOM 2000a.

DL4QB Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2018 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hello! Today I would like to express my enthusiasm for the Acom 2000A.

I was looking for an automatic PA, which I can also operate remotely. Of course all transistor PAs came to the fore immediately.
But unfortunately I have also heard reports again and again (few), where the transistors were grilled by an overshoot.

That becomes immediately really expensive.

Furthermore (probably overdriven by modulation) I noticed transistor PAs again and again, which _not_ sounded good. Here the error is surely with the user and not with the PA itself.

Another criterion was that the output should have a good IMD3 value and be quiet in operation. I really want to have silence in the shack.

The selection meets then on the Acom 2000A.
It meets all my criteria:

- Quiet, quiet, quiet
- Remote Access and drive the PA also with Power on / off
- Massive like a Tank (i like it!!)
- more than enough reserve for 750W leagel Power in Germany
- It creates continuous operation (key down) at full power, if necessary (1500W)
- Immediate, automatic band change. One "Dit" in CW is enough.
- No problem with overshoots of any kind, a tube smiles about it.
- All possible protection functions, as built into a modern PA transistor
- Again: Quiet!

So far I got a lot of praiseworthy feedback about very clean and clear signals.
Of course, I also pay attention to how strongly the microphone gain is set.

It should be mentioned that the PA is very massively built up and offers more than enough reserves for the power supply as well.

1500W key down at the dummyload enchant the PA with a smile and no kind of strenuous work.

All in all I am VERY...really VERY satisfied with this PA and can recommend it at any time.

PS: Problems with the availability of the tubes? Not really. I could buy (matched pair) new tubes directly from a local dealer and also an offer for matched pair in local ads.

LA4UOA Rating: 3/5 Jun 11, 2018 22:57 Send this review to a friend
ok first 2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my first review i wrote many good things about the Acom 2000A, but now 4 years later, not so happy anymore, after 2 years problem started, parts failure factory called it,than 2 more years tubes dead,with all this protection, tubes schould last much longer, this amp is priced way to high, but everybody like it when it work, me to.
We schould all use it a bit longer before writing a review, those happy after many years may not use it much.I was told from the factory that tubes last normally 6-7years, mine lasted only 4years.Service from factory is very good, but it dont bring my tubes back to life.

KG4LRU Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2017 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Acom 2000A  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owened my acom 2000a for 13 years using pair GU74B 10-160 auto tune amp , I also owned the remote acom switch . total time 7500 hours operating time about two weeks ago amp would not start it would fault going into stand by . I figured it was time for a new set of tubes . When I installed the tubes I got IG2 fault 30 ma when voltage should be zero . I wrote To acom in Bulgaria Val at the Factory wrote me back I had 3 new old stock Tubes I explained what the amp was doing . My new set of tubes were ppurchase from a previous ham who had a spare set that he longer needed 250.00 later I put them a way for rainy day zip head 10 years . Val gave me some direction on trouble shooting the amp . Via email For the next week and half a couple of ceramic disc caps that were bad . With the factory help I was able to repair the circuit with just replacing some capacitors that were leaky causing the issue . I replaced the parts and amp came up on High Voltage works like it did when was new . 20 watts drive gets you 1KW out 35 watts drive gives 1450. . The old tubes our probably still good and some day I will test Them. I purchased the amp New I made promised I would never sell it . The quality that many manufactures strive for but seldom get too. The Customer service From the factory was Best I have ever seen from our manufactures. I have two Acom amp and the 1000 for 160 6 meters . I cant say enough good thing about these amp. If you should need service out warranty theirs several service places in the states . shipping with out the transformer the amp weighs in around 30lbs . Good thing is do not need to ship transformer when send it in. Working on amps not for everybody Due to high voltage which can Kill you Quickly and the warnings our plentiful .This amp can not be heard unless yo install the second fan only needed for rtty and am modes running at Full power the amp has a lot head room 2500 into dummy load . My last set of tubes were at 65 watts drive to get legal limit tubes over 7000 hours on them . You can remote control the Amp and if you add the 2000s remote switch it will even rember the correct antenna position Well done Acom and Val Not many manufactures will walk you through trouble shooting the amp . If your looking Rock steady amp that can out live you this is the one .

73 Phil K4GY

NJ0F Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2017 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Best auto tune tube amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently own several Acom amps including two Acom 2000As. These amps are bullet proof and you need to go a long way to cause serious damage to it with all the fault protection in it. Acom Bulgaria support is great and they are fast to respond. Yes, shipping is a pain, but so is anything else with $7K price tag. I am amazed how someone can rate this amp 1/5 without explaining something that makes sense.

N2EHG Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2017 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this amp for a while, having had great success with my Acom 1000, got this 2000a w/the newer digital head for a new location. One of the key features for me was being able to attach it to my microham keyer, and my maclogger dx program. This allows the linear to automatically follow me, everything is totally automated. Has always worked rock solid. The new digital head is easy to use and provides lots of info. Never had any problems with my Acom products. Hope to try their SS amp.

W8NWN Rating: 1/5 Aug 30, 2017 02:26 Send this review to a friend
Failed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It worked fine for 7 months on lite duty but failed now and wont come on.........Too heavy and difficult to ship.......Very expensive garbage. ---sorry I would NOT recommend this amplifier to anyone.

KW2W Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2017 03:58 Send this review to a friend
great amp, but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
having had many amps in my 57 yrs as a ham, this acom 2000a is just out of this world... i wont boar you with all the usual stuff you can read about.. but am confused about one thing ... the amp, comes with a remote controller, and with extension cables, can be placed quite far away from the operating position .... nice feature ... but, you still have to visit the amp to turn it on ??? ... there is a main switch on back of the amp, that must be placed in the on position befour the remote control will work ?? ... so, i ask, where is the remote capability ??? i bought this amp for many reasons, one being that i could place it in some rempte portion of the shack and forget it, just like it states in the operating manual..being some what disabled, i thought this would be a great feature....well, in reality, its not...so,i had to make room for it near my operating position..no big deal as the fans are very quiet, but the motors that move the varable caps, well, thats another story ..... hey, dont let this discourage you from buying this amp .... again,its fabulous...this is just a heads up, if your truly looking for a ..."real remote " amp

W8NWN Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2017 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank and just as heavy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amplifier has to be the heaviest unit ever made. It takes 2 people just to put the transformer in. (41 lbs). Also 2 people to bolt the transformer in the chassis. Nearly impossible for one person to carry to your shack table. (80 lbs.) Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. I just wanted everyone to know what they are getting into by ordering this product. It's a great amp but God help you if you have to ship it to be repaired. You must reverse the above procedure which again takes 2 people and about an hour to just pack it up. If you like the sound of 4XCX800's, this is the amp for you.

Hint: To make it easier, I built a "dolly" made out of 3/4" plywood (18" X 18") and casters for it to sit on. Now I can easily move it if I have to sweep around it or connect coax cables etc. I STRONGLY recommend building this dolly. It sits on the floor beside my desk with the RCU on the desk. Very cool indeed! Why the 4? I took off one point for the excessive but necessary weight.

As to its ability to amplify your signal? What can I say? One GREAT amp!!!

AF4WH Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2016 07:12 Send this review to a friend
A Very Fine Rig and Company  Time owned: more than 12 months
At first, I was a bit overwhelmed by this amazing piece of equipment. Back in the 70's I had the good fortune to own an Alpha 78. Consequently, I thought I know all I needed to know about automatic tuning RF amplifiers. Please don't make my mistake. Get out the manual and go through it thoroughly. I was baffled for a time by the rig shutting itself down for no apparent reason, because I didn't know where to look. Turned out the power company was sending 258 volts down our 240 volt line, and the rig was protecting itself.

It also took some research to learn that this rig actually has a fine antenna tuner built in. There I was trying to run it with an extra tuner I had no need of. Once set up, this rig memorizes all the settings for every frequency you are likely to operate on.

Puts out lots of power. Capable of 2000+ watts into our big oil can. Has a remote control that lets you locate across the room if you wish, although I found the ACOM to be very quiet, and I really don't like fan noise.

It uses a pair of GU74B tubes, which are apparently relatively plentiful in Europe, as they is used by the Russian military. It seems to be nearly indestructible, which make sense. Who would want military gear failing at the first bump in the road. Not expensive. either. US equivalent is the 4cx800a. Two of them give you 1600 watts of plate dissipation!

This rig will also work with a remote antenna switch from the same company. Will automatically (or manually via a remote control box) switch up to 10 remote antennas on a single piece of coax. Almost pays for itself in coax savings.

The company has been most supportive. They have responded quickly to my questions, and provided excellent help. They quickly and inexpensively repaired the antenna switch after it was subjected to an extended under-salt-water experience during the recent hurricane. While it has proved weather-proof under most conditions, several hours under the salt water was too much...)

In my opinion, it would be tough to find a better amplifier than the ACOM 2000a.

IV3EPO Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2016 00:58 Send this review to a friend
Acom 2000a a tank!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was been a proud owner for 10 years of an Acom-1000 that never dissapointed me. I've decided to change with "big daddy" 2000a...wow...amazing amplifier !! 2kw down easily, built like a tank, cheap high quality tubes, ecc..
If you try it you'll never come back.
73'