Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-765 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-765
ICOM IC-765 Reviews: 99 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2692.00
Description: 1989 - 1995 ICOM HF Flagship
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-765.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-765.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2019 21:42 Send this review to a friend
An ICON in the ICOM line.   Time owned: more than 12 months
The 765 still has a loyal following and still commands a surprisingly high price used, for a reason: it is a great performer. No DSP, just a classic HF xcvr design very well executed. Build quality is high, relatively easy to service compared to some later more compact sets. There are a few trimmer caps that fail with age but they are well known and not too hard to replace. Scott Malcom at MTS is a 765 GURU and can fix anything that ails your set. HOT very quiet receiver and great xmtr. Good cooling, doesn't overheat. I had the 765 and a 756 MK III right next to each other for a few weeks and although the 756 is a LOT fancier, the 765 could hear absolutely everything the 756 could hear, even weak signals right next to powerful ones. I got better audio reports on the 765 than on the 756 but that could have been due to my 756 mic settings. The 765 is big and heavy but it can go the distance. You will not regret owning one.

EA5IMJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2019 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Magnifico  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Buy an icom ic765 and be surprised by its good construction, very robust chassis and quality components, the receiver is really good, and the nb works very well, really does its function, the touch of the buttons is very nice, as for the transmitter pushes very well in ssb, with power around 110w, compare it with my old kenwood ts930 and the difference is quite large, so I sold my 930 and bought another unit of 765. I wonder how it would be the difference with an ft1000 from the same time, I have not found comparative, but it could be interesting

KB8QID Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2018 18:04 Send this review to a friend
mine found it's forever home  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had an Icom 761 and loved it...I like older big radios. I sold that rig to a friend and missed it ever since I sold it. I came across an Icom 765 for $250 from my local swap n shop. The radio is in very good condition with working power supply and tuner. I tested it out and forked over the money. I run a Kenwood TS 850 with DSP 100 and an audio chain and run everything the same with the Icom. My audio through the rig is fantastic. I will say this radio has found it's forever home and will never leave my shack. This radio is easy to use and has no menu to fumble with. All the controls are up front and easy to reach. There are known problems with the radio like the trimmers needing switched out, but don't let that stop you from picking one up. This is a fantastic radio that will serve you well for years. As far as the audio from these older Icom radios being a bit low...a good Icom SM 8 or the Heil ICM will do wonders for bringing up the audio. Good luck and buy one at a good price if you find one...N8UP

IK0YKM Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2016 03:00 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had a lot of Yaesu radio and I was skeptical about the versatility of Icom radio. After seeing my teacher I0KNQ (the largest Italian dxer) who used the 765 for more than 20 years, I decided to buy a used one.
I was pleasantly surprised by the modulation and the sensitivity of the radio and above all the ease of use.
Currently in my shack there is IC 765 and I think I will go into retirement.
I am very satisfied and would not return back.

VK2NZA Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2016 02:42 Send this review to a friend
Icom solid st analog nirvarna  Time owned: more than 12 months
On arrival at the Gold Coasthamfest a few years ago I spotted the bulk of an IC-765 sitting amongst an array of other gear, after giving it a good lookover and deciding it was very easy on the eye I asked how much, the price was more than I had in my wallet and I dragged myself away to other attractions.
Later that afternoon as many were packing up the club member standing behind the stall looked at me and said "go on you know you want one" he was right I did! but I said "sorry its too rich for me" He replied well no one has bought it, we're selling it and its accessories for the family of a recently SK member and its got to go, how much have you got,I dug into my wallet and said $410.00, good enough he said and it was mine!
Sometimes the gods are smiling on you, because the accessories included a pristine Millen tuner an SM8 mic plus SP2300 speaker.
All my xmasses had come at once.
How does it perform,well its big! and it imposes itself over every other transceiver in the shack.
Ergonomically excellent, everything at hand, no menus Yay!
The FT-1000D sitting alongside glowers at it sideways and sulks.
A truly fine receiver, analogue at its best,the finals still punch that Icom clinical copy,and when switched through another pair of Icom classics the IC2KL linear and AT-500 auto tuner well its "the Flight of the Valkyries" Wagner very loudly proclaiming mastery of the airwaves.
Solid state analog nirvana!
No squinting at the screen or applying tweezers to turn a truly miniscule knob on this baby! Large digits are welcome.
Seriously though i have a couple of late model (Icom)desk tops and they are very good, great DSP, fine receivers, but there is something about the IC765/761 that quietly understates quality, those who have experienced them know the feeling!
Highly recommended in that big Lazyboy comfort type ham experience.
Next....I have always admired the IC-775 Hmmmmm.

K9LLK Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2015 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Got lucky when I bought an IC-765  Time owned: more than 12 months
I passed both the Tech and General exams in one session. I really didn't know which direction to head for a "starter" rig. I managed to come across a mint condition IC-765 loaded with every option except the speech synthesizer. I watched for deals on an SM-6 desk mic and an SP-20 external speaker with audio filters to complete the set-up.

I love the built-in power supply, built-in antenna tuner, and the multi-function meter. The IC-765 is a feature rich rig that is a delight to use without having to go through a bazillion menus.

Even though I've upgraded to Extra since getting the IC-765, I'm not feeling any urge to "upgrade" to a different rig.

N1VGN Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2015 20:20 Send this review to a friend
A Dream Come True  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess getting older (43) isn't so bad. When I first got licensed in the early 90's this class of radio was cost prohibitive, just as I'm sure we dream of the flagship radios today. While still not inexpensive, at least now attainable. The reviews reflect the type of criticism this radio deserves. Yes, it is large/heavy and designed for indoor contest/ DX use. My previous radio was a 745, which I loved, and so I am biased towards Icom and familiar with the features, etc. Ham radios last for decades so don't be afraid to buy one. The "1" or "0" rating wasn't really fair just based on it's age, we know what we're buying. My brother is licensed too and a real Yaesu nut, but he now has 2 (or more) of the 761/ 765. A really big plus with this rig is the few areas where people feel it is lacking now have time-tested modifications available (PBT, etc.). Anyway, I wanted to rate it to offset the (2 out of 92) unnecessarily low ratings and I'll get my brother to vote, see if we can get it to 4.9 from 4.8. Thanks for all the tips in the reviews they're pretty handy. It's almost unanimous not to get rid of this radio, and to cure the seller's remorse quite a few replaced it with another. Thanks Icom! '73's!!

KK4CIR Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 10:50 Send this review to a friend
BIG RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio and super easy to operate! If you like a simple to operate radio with BIG knobs to turn with the reliability of ICOM you found it, look no further. For its age this rig still holds very respectable reputation in the Ham family. IMO is one of the best BIG base station radios from their time.

K8YZK Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2014 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Love it so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Traded a Alinco DX-SR8T(not a bad radio), for the IC-765. Yes it is older technology, but love the ease of operation without all the menus. Tuner works good, like the built in ps. Beside being a boat anchor because of the weight, the one problem I have, the NB isn't working, but that is not a problem with me. Looking to keep this rig for a long time.

KI0SV Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2014 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Time Enduring Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Every once in a while a device comes along that is so well constructed and thought through that it spans the test of time. This is one of those examples.

I have owned my Icom 765 for almost two years and I have enjoyed operating and listening to this radio every time its on. The front panel is nicely laid out and easy to figure out without the manual in your hand. I am a bit put off by some of these menu driven radios and I still like twisting a knob or two when listening to a favorite station. I like to have fun when I am operating and this rig is just that, FUN!

I usually operate on 10, 15, 20, and 75 meters and the rig tunes each band nicely with great barefoot signal reports (granted the antenna helps) and it tunes each band nicely. Audio reports are always compliments and signal rejection and sensitivity are among the best my calibrated ear discern. After all, isn't that the best test?

If you find one of these for sale (sorry you won't see mine listed!) I would recommend you jump on it and you will find the radio will deliver hours of enjoyment for years to come and like me and many other 765 owners you will not be disappointed.

KI0SV
Gene

Yeah, the "1" guy just didn't get it.