Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Gotham Vertical V-40, V-80, V-160 Help

Reviews Summary for Gotham Vertical V-40, V-80, V-160
Gotham Vertical V-40, V-80, V-160 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 2.3/5 MSRP: $14.95 to 18.95 plus shipping.
Description: Antenna heavily advertised in QST in the 1950s and 1960s, with fantastic ads. "Work the World with your Gotham Vertical". No longer available new.
More info: http://none

You can write your own review of the Gotham Vertical V-40, V-80, V-160.

K0BX Rating: 3/5 Sep 20, 2010 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Worked for me!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just got out of the Navy in 1970 and was a Novice, WN0ALF, with a HW-16 Transceiver. I was living with my parents and ordered the V-80. It arrived by truck as the box was too long and I had to pay shipping of $22 for a $20 antenna.

I nailed it to a 2 X 4 mounted to a chain length fence. I worked the world, mostly 15 meters but sometimes 40 meters. Hygain main a similar antenna called a 18V. Same type antenna with the clip on the coil just a bit better constructed.

Joe K0BX

KA1YUW Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2010 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Reassemble  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well found the original tubing of the vertical. Now I got to look in my gararge and find the coil. Rebuild it and put it on the air. Used it years ago with lot's of success. V-160 I still have the original instructions also.

N7XM Rating: 1/5 Mar 17, 2009 15:59 Send this review to a friend
What memories !!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
when I was 12 years old , I ordered the BEAST
some alumunium and a small coil - minimal instructions - did not have room at original
location for radials - results : Terrible
If I was not stout of heart , I would have
given up the " hobby " right there !

Later a wire 34 ft was run up a PIN OAK and
many radials were buried, a small tuning network
at the base - and VOILA a 40m vertical that
was INVISIBLE ( parents very happy ) - and
it worked lots of DX with 150 w output from
New York -

Gotham must be a child of P T Barnum !!!!

W9DJ Rating: 0/5 Feb 8, 2009 20:18 Send this review to a friend
A piece of aluminum by any other name...  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 1962 a local ham gave up on his Gotham, and left it on my front door step. He tried to erase his callsign that he had marked on the aluminum, but I figured out who he was. With visions of DX dancing in my head (I had read all those nifty ads!) I promptly installed it using a ceramic flower pot for a base insulator, grounded the coax braid to a 4 foot ground rod, and worked for hours to try to find a place on the tiny little section of coil stock(so-called loading coil) to put the alligator clip attached to the coax center lead so the plates in the 6146 in my DX-35 didn't turn cherry red. Had I known about radials, or anything at all about antennas, maybe I could have made a contact greater than 5 miles away. I wonder whatever happened to it... Somehow I suspect it is still out there somewhere, eating 6146's.

W8JI Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2008 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Work the world with 10 watts  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Gotham V-160 to use with my 6AQ5 transmitter. I only had one crystal on 1806 kHz. I mounted it on the side of my trailer and used a water spigot for the ground.

On my first CQ, ZS1REC answered. He gave me a booming report. When we signed there was a pileup of Europeans calling me.

I worked VQ9, 5B4, VU7, UA0's, and 4X4 within minutes. VU2PHD called and said I was the loudest USA he ever heard on 160.

Before the night was out I had worked all states, all continents, 35 zones, and 149 DXCC.

Thanks Gotham!

Tom W8JI

W3QY Rating: 2/5 Mar 30, 2008 10:13 Send this review to a friend
trip down memory lane  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, I had one of those Gotham verticals..bought it from a local for the sum of $5 and thought what a shrewd bargaineer I was..this was back in 1965 and being a Novice with 80, 40 and 15 meter privileges I brought home my newly acquired antenna and figured it would "work the world" as it stated it the QST ads. It was ground mounted on a 2x4 just outside the shack..running outside to change taps was a bit of a pain, especially in the dead of winter.
Did it work..well,sorta.The old pi-network on my Knight T-60 did feed some watts to it and I worked about 10 states.Did it work well? Absolutely not. It was later replaced with several dipoles and a homemade halfwave quad loop that I made for 15 meters.When I finished my one year term as WN3EJJ,I had WAS,WAC and had about 45 DXCC countries in my logbook.What became of the Gotham? I pulled the aluminum sections apart and put big notches in them..my mom used them as aluminum clothes poles to hold up the laundry as it was outside drying..there the Gotham worked great.

WA2DTW Rating: 2/5 Mar 30, 2008 05:41 Send this review to a friend
My first HF antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Imagine. A 12 year old, being told he can get on 160 with an antenna that takes up virtually no space and requires no radials, and costs les than $50. And works on all bands as well. Just change the alligator clip position on the loading coil. So I had it mounted with the base coil right outside my window, spent many an hour with the alligator clip changing bands (mostly guess work). Imagine getting an S9 report from across the East River, 4 miles away on 75 meters! (with 430 watts from a Globe King 400B).

The antenna is long gone. Only memories (and a few log pages and 1 or 2 QSL cards from locals) remain.

W8ZNX Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2008 01:44 Send this review to a friend
you get what you pay for  Time owned: more than 12 months
sure its cheap
but if you know how to set up a vertical
its a good and cheap

i put some time and work in to mine
also lashed up a plastic box for base/coil

only used it on 40 cw never tryed to use it on any other band

layed out 16 cut to freq ground radials
worked lots of dx
had lots of fun with this antenna

are there better hell yes
but for the 35 bucks i payed for it
i got more than my money's worth

mac dit dit

K2DGM Rating: 0/5 Dec 7, 2007 03:33 Send this review to a friend
My Gotham experience  Time owned: months
Well here's my Gotham story.

When I was licensed around 1975, and was 15 years old, I had little money. So, Gotham was one of the few antenna choices I had next to a spool of wire. My very first antenna was a 15 meter dipole, but after that I moved "up" to Gotham and got me a Gotham V-80 vertical with the open air B&W coil. I was adrenaline-rushed knowing that I would become the next "DX king" with a Gotham and a Heathkit HW-100. I mounted it on the ground with no radials, because the advertisement said: "none needed". I recall going out in blizzards and other sub freezing conditions to change the tap on the coil many times to go from band to band. I constantly readjusted it even more when the coil became caked with snow and ice. Once I took my Dad's Bernzomatic torch to the coil to melt the snow, but ended up instead wasting one of the plastic insulator strips on the coil. It didn't matter because the SWR only went from bad to worse. I think I was calling CQ with an aluminum dummy load. The antenna was largely unsuccessful, but I do remember working a JA once from New Jersey on 20 meters, obviously during exceptional propagation. I was thrilled as I think it was my first ever JA contact. But, I still hadn't learned my lesson.

Later, I purchased a Gotham 20 meter monobander for a whopping $40 that included shipping. Everything others mention is true as I can add my personal testimony: the boom was made from TV mast - even cheaper stuff than Radio Shack sells. The boom-to-mast clamps were simple U bolts - nothing else - consequently they rotated easily and crushed the aluminum tubing if you clamped them down too tightly. When I mounted the antenna on a tripod on the roof the boom sagged like an old warhorse. About once a week, or at least after any wind in excess of about 30 mph, I would have to go on the roof and realign the elements. However, what was worse is the fact that I could not achieve a decent SWR. I tried a homebrew gamma match, which, by the time the SWR was down to "reasonable" levels, the match was almost the length of the driven element! I don't recall really ever working many stations. How this antenna managed to stay advertised in QST for all those years is beyond me. I guess the ARRL takes advertising dollars from anyone. Eventually the Gotham was replaced with a Cushcraft ATB-34.

The only redeeming feature of Gotham, and I use that word loosely, is that the aluminum tubing was salvageable. It was thin-walled to begin with and also drooped, but I noticed that if you slid the aluminum tubes in far enough with one another you could eliminate that. As a result, the tubing for, say, a 20 meter monobander when adjusted to 15 meter dimensions eliminated the drooping problem. So, a 20 meter Gotham beam would yield good tubing for a 15 meter version, or 15 for 10 and so on. I finally left Gotham for good except for the cherished memories. At one time I had a photo of my Gotham beam and wish I had it today as it would be nice to go down memory lane. Then again, some memories are best left in the past.

W2TI Rating: 4/5 Aug 23, 2007 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Most BANG for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine in 1971, when we moved into the house. Budget was limited and the price was right. I would give it a "5", but the coil corroded easily, and I had to clean the connections until I put the coil in the junk box and connected directly to the antenna. I tune it with a tuner, sometimes. I knew EXACTLY what it was going to do, and it did it. Of course, the ground was good (lots of ground water at that time), so just needed a ground rod. As the ground water dried up, I added radials. The antenna allowed me to break pileups on 20 and 15. I made a SS (CW) qso with KH6 on 40 one year with 50 watts out. Of course, I didn't expect 1:1 VSWR, or great performance, but 3/8 wavelength on 20 must have been something significant. Still use it with a Rock-Mite on 20 (even made QSOs on 40 with a Rock-Mite with it). So remember it was a CHEAP antenna - and it met and exceeded my expectations - it is still in service (36 years).