Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 99 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 99
Alpha 99 Reviews: 80 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3850 + shipping
Description: The Ultimate Value in a linear amplifier - Made in USA
More info: http://www.rkrdesignsllc.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 99.

AA1JD Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2018 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Hercules of HF Amps  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 99 second hand about 8 years ago and it has been bulletproof. I use it on all bands to rag chew and I run two contests a year and push the amp but have never seen a single moment of problems. 50Watts in gives you 1,500Watts out. 70Watts in gives you 2,200Watts out into a dummy load of course.

NY2F Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2018 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have enjoyed, 76Ca and Pa. 86 and 87. Love this 99. Simple, manual Perfect for me. Looks good also. Sorry, took so long to purchase. Have original TL-922, with every MOD created. Works great now....Know ARCH, Spark,Relay noise. STILL NOT A 99...LOVE THIS 99.

W9BHI Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2018 10:15 Send this review to a friend
One of the best amps I've owned (and Iv'e owned a few!)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Alpha 99 used, about 4 months ago and sold my QRO-2500DX shortly afterwards.
This amp is a keeper!

WM5L Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2017 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Super Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought used and love it. Some say Alphas are overpriced and the new owners are Horrible to deal with. I cant say I have any problems with mine or had to deal with them. As far as price, you can buy cheaper or more expensive. I think I got what I paid for. A few watts in gives a KW no problem and 65 will give you 2KW. Easy to use and quite fan. Highly recommended if you can find one.

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2016 21:11 Send this review to a friend
The best I ever had!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had more amps then I can count and this Alpha 99 is the best hands down. Easy to tune, very good circuit protection and the tubes are reasonable to replace. If you can get your hands on one, get it! This is an amp you keep for ever!

WM5L Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2015 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Best amp I have ever owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought about a year ago used and LOVE IT! Very forgiving if you make a mistake and a super quite fan. 50 watts will put it into the red (1.5KW) on any band. The L.E.Ds took a while to learn but I like them now.. Would recommend this amp to anyone looking for a SOLID rag chew amp.

KM4TV Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Great amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Alpha 99 legal limit HF amplifier is a very solid made amplifier. Tunes very easily and I have grown to appreciate the LED meters and indicators. A quality unit and the fan is quiet yet provides good air flow.

Nice job Alpha.

W9TB Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2014 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Alpha 99  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best Amp I have ever had bar none. Every ham should have one.

J85K Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2014 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Fault Protection  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Alpha 99 legal limit HF amplifier is a very solid performer.Tunes effortlessly and I have grown to appreciate its LED readouts. A quality unit,robustly built; an acceptably quiet fan and having excellent Fault Protection circuitry.

Unit acquired 'used', but looks and operates as new. Now in use for 2+ years in the tropics with several types of wire antennas from 160 to 10 meters. Line supply is 230 volts / 50 hertz single phase.

You are required some three minutes of patience for warm-up .......

K5YZS Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2013 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amplifier, but issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had occasion to work with Molly a couple of years ago to get a reconditioned Alpha 99. The tech report said it was checked out and only issue was to reset the tube bias. The tech missed the noisy grinding sound when the TUNE capacitor was rotated. I diagnosed as the rubbing of grounding strap rubbing on the capacitor shaft and as best I could, I reshaped the tension in the strap and essentially removed the noise. I called RF Concepts for comments and they had heard of the problem and agreed with me that I was on the right track for a fix. As received the aged blower was a little noisy and its getting louder as time goes along. Also, they did not make any circuit modifications and I understand that the 24 volts on the amp keying relay was later reduced to 12 VDC.
AMP RATING 5.0