Reviews Categories | Microphones for ham radio | Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 Help

Reviews Summary for Behringer Ultravoice XM8500
Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 Reviews: 23 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $24,99
Description: Dynamic Cardioid Microphone
More info: http://www.behringer.com/XM8500/index.cfm?lang=ENG

You can write your own review of the Behringer Ultravoice XM8500.

W4AFJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2018 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value/Price/Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the Behringer XM8500 for my Icom 7300. I paid $19.99 from Sweetwatersound.com and got the appropriate cable w/capacitor $15, desk stand $12, and foot-swich $15 from INRAD,(www.vibroplex.com). Total cost $62. It's an amazing mic and combo for such a low amazing price. Save your money and get one!

SWLCHRIS Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2018 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent choice for Kenwood rigs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used a Kenwood MC60A for my HF rigs and was using a hand mic with my Kenwood TM2550 2 meter rig previously. I was told I had an issue with the hand mic so I switched over to the MC60 and the audio reports were like night and day. Suddenly I was strong into the repeater and in simplex mode.I was tired of pulling mic cords out and putting them back in, knowing that the more frequent that happened the more likely of a plug or cord failure. So I looked into a different mic for the TS870 and TS430.I looked into Heil but couldn't justify spending 200.00 plus on a microphone and all the related accessories when that was more than what I gave for either radio.I was looking at Shure, Dynamic Voice and a few others.
I found out about this mic from this site and reading various musician reviews.
I have to say it works a lot better than the MC60.The friend that I got the TS870 from said it sounds like I am sitting right there talking to him. No artificial tones or pitches just my natural voice. The clarity enables DX stations to copy me that much better. My first DX contact using the mic was ZS6CCY and I got a favorable report on that contact. Same with ZD7FT . I spent a half hour on 80 meters with the infamous Dave call in talk show and not once did I have to repeat myself once I had my mic properly positioned. I even got a favorable (to me) 3 by 3 into Vienna Austria with Ivan OE3XMA on 80 meters of all possible bands .previously the furthest into Europe I got to talk to on 80 meters was Italy. It is an outstanding value at 19.99 plus the cost of whatever cord is needed. I spent 49.00 buying this mic, a foot switch, and a desktop mic stand from Guitar Center. Best 50 bucks on ham radio spent.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2018 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Why Pay More?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great sound and output matches ham transceivers audio input. Why pay more for a microphone? Microphone comes with mount, needs XLR female jack. I bought the microphone new for $18 shipped.

W9ATB Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2017 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the mic based on the EHam reviews. I am using it on the FTDX3000 and have gotten many unsolicited reports on the good audio. Outstanding value for $20.

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2017 19:49 Send this review to a friend
A Bear of a Microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I added $20 to a Web order for other supplies to get the XM8500 for my microphone collection. When it arrived I ran it through my standardized “direct to digital” recording tests (see other reviews) to record my own voice and then to compare the Behringer results under controlled conditions with the other mikes in the collection.

No need to waste words here. The XM8500 does a very competent job of reproducing voices. Yes, there are differences in the recordings between the $20 Behringer and $400 professional microphones. But the differences are small and they won’t be very noticeable on ham voice transmissions, which inherently have limited audio bandwidth. And the differences can be made even smaller with the use of transmitter speech processing, which can be either pre-built into a modern rig or run as an outboard hardware or software package.

Need to record a high quality audition file for the aspiring opera soprano next door? The 8500 probably will not be your first choice in mikes. Need to get on the ham air for basic SSB contesting or rag-chewing? The 8500 well fills that assignment.

The 8500 is not the only competent $20 dynamic cartridge hand/desk mike available today. There are now several brands from which to choose, and $20 is becoming a new “price point” for general-use speech microphones. We hams aren’t limited any longer to the expensive (and high profit!) radio-OEMs' custom mike products or Heil’s overpriced super boffo “hype-tacular” offerings. The XM-8500 will remain as a part of my permanent microphone collection and it will get its share of air time. It does this job well and it doesn’t drain the treasury!

WD5FUN Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2017 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Amazing what 20 bucks will buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it because of great reviews. Well, the reviews are right. It is of solid construction, and it performs the same as my Heil PR-781. I switched back and forth with both my TS-590s and my Icom IC-7300 and no one could tell the difference. $20 vs $180.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2017 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
$20 shipped to ur home
U can't beat that
AND great reports too with the w2ihy gear
Try one

SQ5TSS Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2017 05:23 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using the mx8500 on the IC-7600 and they sound GREAT. unreal mic. Great audio and reports. Can't beat a great mic like this.

W8FDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2017 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Better than any Heil and less than 25 bucks

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2016 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Super Microphone Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Recently, a friend was looking for a studio type microphone to use in his station. I had read the favorable reviews here, and suggested that he should try the Behringer Ultravoice XM8500. I rationalized, Behringer is a well known company with a good reputation, and it was only $20, what did he have to lose?

Right out of the box, the microphone provided excellent results, on both his vintage Kenwood TS-830S, and a new Kenwood TS-2000. Once I heard his over the air, I decided I wanted to try one too.

Previously, I had been using an Electrovoice RE-27 professional microphone for many years. Similar to my friend's experience, I also received favorable reports when using the XM8500. The addition of a W2IHY EQplus, I had also used with the RE-27, made the XM8500 sound that much better.

So far, I haven't found a reason to go back to using the more expensive Electrovoice microphone. Friends that I have known for years, that I ragchew with on 75 meters, tell me the XM8500 seems to sound better with my voice, than when using the RE-27.

IMO, the XM8500 has proven itself to be a great microphone, and an excellent value for the price. The microphone comes packaged in a nice protective hard shell case. In addition to the microphone, it includes a standard thread microphone clip/holder. I believe, it would be difficult to find another microphone that performs as well, at this price point.

73, Jim AB4D