Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Tram 1481 Help

Reviews Summary for Tram 1481
Tram 1481 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $150
Description: Dual band base antenna
More info: http://www.k1cra.com

You can write your own review of the Tram 1481.

KM4TWA Rating: 2/5 Apr 24, 2019 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Water ingress  Time owned: more than 12 months
I read the reviews before purchasing, seeing the reports of water problems I went to great lengths to waterproof the joints during the original install. It worked very well for about a year, then SWR went through the roof. I took it down to inspect (not an easy job) and found that the epoxy holding the fiberglass to the metal at the base had become brittle and failed. I had not sealed over the bottom part thinking that they had sealed it well with the epoxy but that is where it failed. The entire base of the unit was full of water. After cleaning and sealing it I put it back up and is it good again. I recommend sealing over the connections between the sections and the joint where the fiberglass enters the metal.

KD9JTV Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2018 03:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer, excellent Price!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Tram/Browning 1481 to replace a fully functional Tram/Browning 1480 because I wanted the higher gain provided by the 1481 co-linear antenna. I have been very happy with the performance, both on TX and RX. It was a noticeable improvement over the 1480, which didn't do bad for what it was. I have had this antenna up for over six months with no problems. It's mounted about 25' up on our flagpole. High winds and heavy rain have not affected it. For the ~$75 price, I am a very happy camper and would recommend it.

W6KKO Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2018 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I previously enjoyed my purchase of a Tram 1480 and decided to acquire this upgrade antenna as a replacement, leaving the 1480 for other duties.

As with the Tram 1480, I put it together using the supplied instructions and applied some coax tape around the two joints to help keep moisture out. I did not adjust/tune it at all. Low SWR on 2 m and 70 cm, tested with an analyzer as well as a meter. I TX 5 to 50 watts without issue and the RX is also on par.

It has been deployed for almost three years without issue.

WB0BBC Rating: 1/5 Jul 12, 2017 14:09 Send this review to a friend
High SWR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I assembled this large antenna per the instructions and tightened all connections. Within a few weeks the SWR climbed to 3:1. A check with the antenna analyzer showed no resonance. A check with a different antenna (a Diamond X50) demonstrated that the LMR 400 feedline and connectors were fine.

I twice removed the large Tram 1481 antenna to open, clean and reassemble it. No improvement was observed. The dealer and Tram distributor were unable to assist.

I will soon order a Diamond X300A to replace the Tram. This has been an unpleasant experience with an antenna for which I expected much better performance.

N5ZKK Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2017 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected what a sight  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On top of the roof plus up 16ft on a pole to the base this 17ft antenna is quite the sight.

From the review comments we are encouraged about the long term prospects, but it sure does move around a lot with today's 10-20MPH winds.

The performance on 2M is outstanding. This antenna doubled our APRS coverage that runs on a little old re-cycled FT-50 5W HT. The old antenna being a 7ft collinear dual band.

KG7YSE Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2017 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Impressed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
No issues although assembling it took some head scratching. You must hook the inside wires together using the tiny little screws but once you get that done it's all good. Low SWR on all frequencies I use. I kept hearing reports about water getting in the antenna but I haven't noticed anything wrong transmitting on any frequency yet and in Washington state of course we get A LOT of rain. So far so good.

W5KVV Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2017 21:31 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was reluctant to purchase this antenna. BUT for the price, if it fails I can buy another and still be in them for less than the Comet version.

However after deployment and ZERO fine tuning I am pleased with this antenna. SWR across the VHF band is 1.5 or less. DEAD FLAT at 146. However the UHF side seems to be a little short. I believe I can alleviate this issue with simple tuning. Like I said, I pulled it out of the box, put it together and stuck it in the air.

It gets into repeaters that were unreachable with my previous setup. It hears repeaters that I didn't know existed with my prior antenna. We had a band opening earlier this week, I made it into several repeaters across the state & made some new friends in the process.

With that being said, so far so good.

W4AIN Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2016 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my 1481 now for over 10 years with never an issue. The SWR is less than 1.5:1 across the full 2m and 70cm bands. Love this antenna and highly recommend it.

KD8MTK Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2016 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Cheap but works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up 4 years ago when the wind took down my Diamond it was a cheap dual band antenna I put up in place of an old tv antenna mount on the side of my house. I initially was just going to leave it up for a couple months until I got a better one but soon realized it worked very well so it ended up staying put for 4 years. Very good antenna for the price.

KW4RP Rating: 1/5 Mar 22, 2016 01:39 Send this review to a friend
The Tram 1481 dual antenna has high SWRs on the VHF side  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Tram-1481 Dual Bander Antenna and thought it was a good purchase plus a quality item made by Tram. To my dismay, the damn thing had high SWRs on VHF ONLY, but the UHF side of it was fine!Between 144.00-147.99 MHz, the SWRs ranged from a 3.0 to a 3.2?? When I assembled it, I used a thin film of lithium grease to seal out the moisture at the joints and connections;also, I used LMR 240 coax for the low loss factor. It continues the same issues regardless what the weather throws at it! I don't believe the company is in existence and these antennas are junk surplus left over. They got a website to contact them but no replies. Buyer Beware!