Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Land Air Communications LTD Help

Reviews Summary for Land Air Communications LTD
Land Air Communications LTD Reviews: 262 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Varies
Description: Hal Guretzky services and repairs ICOM,KENWOOD,COLLINS,and Yeasu radios and other brands also.And also commercial radio equipment!He is located in Richmond Hills,NY.
More info: http://www.landaircom.com

You can write your own review of the Land Air Communications LTD.

NX3L Rating: 0/5 Oct 13, 2018 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Two Years Later, No Radios.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent 2 museum quality Heath Mohicans in for alignment and paid $750.00 for the completed work 25 months ago.

Spoke to Hal several times and followed up with 45 E-mails over the last two years, all with no replies,.....latest phone calls unanswered!

Still no Radios,......NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE THIS CO.!!!!

J.C. NX3L

K1OE Rating: 1/5 May 22, 2018 04:13 Send this review to a friend
Troubling Experience  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hate to say anything negative about someone else. There were nothing but great reviews of Land Air. So I didnít post a review at the time of my interaction with Hal. Now there are several unhappy reviews recently. Iíve decided to not give details of my costly adventure with Land Air. Rather, Iíll simply say that I wasnít dealt with in an expected, professional way. I didnít receive requested estimates for two repairs. Instead, I was given a repair bill that was equal to about 80-90% of the value of the two radios I sent Hal. I had to pay it to get the radios back. One didnít appear to be repaired at all. I cut my loss and had someone else repair it for a lot less money than I paid Hal. I was unable to get my money back from Land Air. My experience with Land Air was troubling.

WE1X Rating: 0/5 May 18, 2018 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Look Elsewhere  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yeah I had similar experience several years ago when I brought in an FT-1000D with several minor issues. While he "fixed" those issues the 2nd receiver suddenly failed. Needless to say, he wanted even bigger bucks to repair that. One would have thought a tech with such a "stellar" record would have thoroughly tested the radio prior to releasing it. In the end, I walked away from him and eventually sold the rig. This didn't stop Hal from insisting on a 5 rating on eHam. Good luck with that.

KC2QYM Rating: 0/5 May 17, 2018 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Experience was some time ago but still stinks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I took my Kenwood TS-440S to Land Air some time ago with a very common problem; the dots in the display which was a documented VCO epoxy shorting condition. Kenwood posts service announcements associated with this problem and the web firmly documents the issue. I was not competent to fix this problem myself and LandAir was recommended as a competent shop to fix such issues. I brought Hal my rig and after a few days he indicated that he did not find the problem. WHAT!!??? Believing that maybe there was some power level issue, I drove to his shop with two Kenwood PS-50 power supplies and we benched the rig using both supplies. Sure enough the dots problem emerged. We even connected the rig using Hal's power supply and like magic the same problem manifested itself. Hal swore up and down that he did not see the problem when he first benched the rig and further that the problem was a more elusive and an intermittent issue that would require more troubleshooting and of course more money than the initial $100 estimate he provided. I was more than disappointed and suspecting that this low life was shaking me down I decided to cut my losses. I gave him the $100 cash and left..rather than spend another $200 - $300 on the repair. What amazed me is that Hal has so much gear at his home for sale and the prices for this equipment are way beyond market prices. For instance, he charges above $900 for one of his TS-440S. My impression is that Hal takes advantage of some people whom I surmise he thinks don't know any better. Perhaps his strategy was to take my rig for parts and sell me one of his "Guaranteed" rigs. Well anyway I left and he later followed up with a phone call to me indicating that he would still credit me the $100 I had just forked over as part of the overall repair which I had decided not to have him do. In addition he asked me to give him a positive eval here on eham. What freakin gall! Well I decided to let it all go since he seemed to have a perfect record until I read numerous entries here on eham highlighting some of his dishonest/incompetent practices. My experience with Land Air left me with a very distasteful experience and I felt that since he has so many supporters I would balance this with my experience. Hal should have fixed the problem the first time instead of trying to shake more cash out of me with a shameful set of lies.

WU2U Rating: 1/5 May 16, 2018 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Repair never truly made  Time owned: more than 12 months
After reading many of the non-5 star reviews I felt compelled to add this long over-due follow-up to an earlier repair (a repair in theory anyway) on my Icom IC-R71a. I had sent the radio to Hal for an intermittent display/receive issue. Only a week or so after I received the radio back, with Halís very detailed findings and repairs, the radio was still having the same issues. Frustrated over how much I had spent on shipping, repairs, etc, I opened the radio up myself in one last effort to resolve the problem before regretfully setting the radio on the table at a hamfest. Iím no tech and donít pretend to be one but I was able to not only duplicate the display issues at will, but was able to resolve it as well. It turned out to be nothing more than cold solder joints on the RAM board, a very common problem. Taking the board out and resoldering each joint solved the issues permanently. Iím not sure what Hal repaired, but either he ďthoughtĒ he fixed it or he gave me a lot of tech-talk BS. In either case, at the very least he missed one of the most common problems these radios have. I also take issue with Halís solicitation to give him a 5-star rating each time we spoke on the phone, and his red seal he places on the cabinet screws. I keep my radios in pristine condition and didnít appreciate the blob of red nail polish defacing them.

W2RNC Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2017 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Quick turn and great support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Took my Dad's Kenwood TS520S to Hal and he had it up and running by the end of the following day. He helped me understand its operation and has been helpful with questions since then.

His inventory of equipment is simply incredible. I have not seen a selection of equipment so vast, so complete, so well organized by any vendor in any segment of any market. Hal is unique and worth a call if you need help.

W2TMA Rating: 3/5 Oct 22, 2016 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Could have been better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Brought two radios to Hal. An old National NC-83 and a Kenwood TS-711A
National had a bad Power Supply Capacitor plus needed re-capping and overhauling. Came out pretty good, although the tuning dial string still slips.
The Kenwood had intermittent problems. This did not come out so good. Problems were not corrected and not only that when I got it back the S-Meter light was burned out.
Overall, I would try someone else next time.

K2DGM Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2016 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Land Air Communications  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased a Collins S-Line from Land Air Communications and am completely satisfied with my purchase. The owner, Hal Guretzky, has been repairing radios for more than 40 years. He holds many patents in radio theory and electronics. He is highly regarded and is sought after by businesses and government agencies as a consultant. There are few others in the same class as him and he is considered to be an authority on electronics and radio repair. When you buy from Land Air Communications you can be assured that your radio, or station accessory will perform as well as, or in many cases better than when it left the factory. This applies to classic as well as new equipment. Hal stands behind every sale. He does not let a radio leave his shop without it performing as it should. All purchases are covered by a 30 day warranty.

Halís showroom, located in Queens, New York, is worth a visit. When you ask Hal if he has a particular radio available for sale his typical response is: ďYes, how many do you want? All manufactures are well represented: Collins, Drake, Heathkit, Yaesu, Swan, Icom, Hallicrafters, Kenwood, Ten-Tec and many more Ė- all are in the showroom in abundance -- so much so that you might have difficulty deciding which rig to purchase because there could be 10 of the same radio available. If you are searching for a certain radio, no matter how is rare or common it is, chances are he has it in stock. In summary, if you are in the market for a radio, or an amplifier, or some other station accessory consider Land Air Communications. You will not regret your decision.

KD1TB Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Collins S-line  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently retired from the Air Force and I needed to have my Collins S-line repaired. I live in Ct. and wanted to find someone local because I did not want to ship the radios. I located Hal at Land Air Communications was about three and a half hours away. I called and spoke to Hal and we had a lengthy conversation about the radios and the problems I was having. The S-line was not used for 15 years due to me always deploying with the military. I went to has facility and before we even discussed the radios he gave me the tour of his operation. I was very impressed with his operation. Hal is very knowledgeable on all aspects of electronics and has five patents. He repairs and sells all radios from the old boat anchors to modern day equipment. Hal does excellent work and the turnaround time for my S-line was a week. His work is guaranteed and when I went to pick up the radio he also gave me about an hour instruction on the radio because I have not used it in 15 years. Hal also does not replace things that do not need replacing. Also, if the repairs will cost more than 50 percent of the value he will discuss the options with you before the work is done. I highly recommend his services and if you are close enough to deliver your equipment you will be highly impressed with his operation.
Jerry

KA6P Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2016 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Land Air Comm repair service was outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received a DOA FT-990 from a friend recently. The receiver was deaf, but the transmitter still worked. I called Yaesu for service, only to find that this fine radio is no longer supported; no Yaesu service or parts. So I asked who I might go to for help, and they suggested I give Hal Guretzky at Land Air Comm a call. So, that I did.
I talked to Hal for quite awhile. First, this guy is a character. That you cannot miss, as he is pretty fun to talk to from the first sentence. I mentioned that I suspected that the RF Unit board had a failure, and that I wanted to send the board in for repair. Of course he said yes, but would prefer having the FT-990 on bench. I was confident enough in my initial troubleshoot that I pushed for sending in the board only. Hal was up front in explaining the risks in my approach, but he would give it a try.
I sent in the board and he had it on bench the day after he received it. After an hour, he called to let me know that the troubleshoot effort was not yielding quick results. In an attempt to avoid excessive cost to repair an old radio, he offered to sell me a functioning board for a fair price, and he would repair my board later and put it in inventory.
Fair enough. Hal communicated at the right times, while explaining the cost risks of my approach to troubleshoot and repair, and offered up a fair solution with a fully checked out and functioning board. I couldn't ask for more of any repair service. I had the board in hand in a couple of days, and the FT-990 is fully operational and has been in use for over a month.
Kudos to Hal. He did what he said he would do, expeditiously, and at a fair price. And the conversations along the way were always informative, helpful, and fun. And what a great lead coming from Yaesu. Land Air Comm is high on my list for equipment repair. Pat - KA6P