Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Samlex SEC-1223 Help

Reviews Summary for Samlex SEC-1223
Samlex SEC-1223 Reviews: 155 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: Switching Power Supply

Helpful RFI reduction mod by ZL2DF: http://www.n0ss.net/samlex_1223_rfi_mods_from_zl2df.pdf
More info: http://www.samlexamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Samlex SEC-1223.

W9OS Rating: 2/5 Dec 30, 2015 20:01 Send this review to a friend
IF IT DIES TOSS IT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was given a SEC-1223. I had blown a fuse.
Just for kicks I sent a note to Samlex to see if they work on these out of warranty.
They said no and said I should buy a new one?
I wonder what they do a unit in warranty.?. They must send you a new one..Cheaper than having a service department.
I have a 1235 and it runs great with minimal birdies.
I found a shorted 2sc2625 the main switching transistors that come off the FW bridge .. Parts on order (not from Samlex). I hope this will get it going

KK4BUH Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2015 13:02 Send this review to a friend
I love mine!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one on my HF rig and one on my UHF/VHF radio. However, I do have one complaint. Those TERRIBLE connectors on the back! I broke one side of the screw head off and now I need to get it out so I can put the wires in again!

GM1SXX Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2014 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Decent SMPS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine second-hand to use with my old IC-730 transceiver. being an SMPS, some birdies are to be expected but this is a better PSU than some other switch-mode ones I've used. I managed to quieten it down even more by connecting a pair of 0.1uF ceramic capacitors in series across the output with the junction of the pair going to ground by as short a connection as was possible.
I can't really conplain about this PSU and the mod makes it better still. It's easy to be overly critical about this sort of power supply. Even the SMPS on my Yaesu FT-990 produces some noise!

As SMPS's go, this one is quite good.

KN0V Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 16:21 Send this review to a friend
It has done the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 1223 has powered a FT-450AT as well as an IC-737. It has done the job but the fan is a bit noisy when it kicks on but that has only been under heavy operating/contest conditions. Minor detail. It has done what it is supposed to do. Never a problem in 4 years of use.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Works Great   Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been sitting on the shelf powering my Kenwood TS-480SAT, running 100 watts, without a hiccup for a few years now. I never thought about writing a review on it because I really don't think about it, other to turn it on and off. It's been a great power supply and if I ever need another one, I'd buy this one again.

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2013 12:24 Send this review to a friend
No issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this supply since 1997. It has powered 100 watt transceivers without any issues.

K8AI Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I maintain a "fleet" of these power supplies and in my opinion they are just fine. They normally run for 5-or-so years until the secondary side filter caps dry out. I normally change out the three secondary side caps (2200uF, 25V low-ESF - Digi-Key 338-1742-ND) and just for giggles, the two primary side caps (680uF, 200V - Digi-Key P11620-ND) and it's good for another five years at least.

K2BEW Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2012 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Not for HF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this to use with my FT-450 and I did use it for about a year until I sold the Ft-450 and bought a Flex 1500. So... with the Flex I could actually see on the waterfall the noise from it as well as hear it. I had not noticed to so much on the Yaesu although I am sure there was noise from it. So I tried running the Flex off an old Aston linear I had and low and behold the noise went away. It is interesting to read the manual for it. They say it does not make much noise but then go into a very long explanation about how to ground it etc... to prevent noise. They obviously know it is noisy. I would not recommend it for an HF radio. I now run my 2 meter Ft-1500 off it and don't notice any noise on it as others have mentioned. I would not buy another one though. They are nice and small and light but there is price to pay for that compact design.

KD7INF Rating: 0/5 Jul 3, 2012 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Worthless as >5 Amp Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unit is under-built (components rated at or below rated output) and thermal management is a joke.

Unit overheated and blew internal (non-replaceable) fuse because one (or more) of the underrated components failed into a short-mode.

This is the second Samlex switching supply that I have had fail when drawing actual rated current from the unit. I will never buy their product again.

I swapped in an Astron linear 25A supply...cranked on the load and haven't had issues since.

These units are underbuilt and fine for 10-20% of rated use.

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2012 06:24 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PS FOR LAND MOBILE USE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up one of these supplies used from a business that no longer uses 2 way radio dispatch. It's only 3 months old. It works great for my UHF Kenwood radio. While there are many complaints for receiver hash on HF, the Samlex website clearly states these supplies are designed for land mobile use. Not HF. I always use a big heavy Astron for HF, & switchers for VHF/UHF radios, & never have a problem. I'll get back in a few years to update how the PS worked out. I do have a friend who works for a city & they use these on a daily basis for their 800 mhz trunking radios, & they've never had a problem. GARY N4KVE