Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-830S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-830S
Kenwood TS-830S Reviews: 141 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $930
Description: 160M-10M SSB/CW transceiver
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-830S.

VK2TZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2019 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Hybrid Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine off E-Bay and was fussy to get a rig that had (on the surface of it) been well loved and not left to corrode badly. The wait was worth it and I found an 830S Gold Edition in really good condition cosmetically that had not been modified. (but as usual, some bastard had removed all of the optional filters apart from the SSB filter) Anyway, I had it fully refurbished (fully re-capped and re-flowed all joints on all boards, re-aligned) by James Hulme (M1APC) in the UK, and it's like new again! Barely a mark on it and pretty much as good as the day it came out of the factory in the 80's! Superb TX and RX audio paired with the MC-50 desk mic, plus I picked up the SP-230 and AT-230 for a "matched" shack set for that 80's look which I miss and love. Relatively simple to use (ie: no menus) and once you get the tuning procedure down pat. I also had a TS-820S back in the 80's and regretted selling it. The 830 is the excellent evolution of the 820 modernised a bit and just a better radio. I love it and now will never ever sell it. It's a keeper for life. I bought a second one also in working condition also just to keep for parts!

SV1AGK Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2019 09:15 Send this review to a friend
SV1AGK  Time owned: more than 12 months
the receiver of machine is fantastic.

KF7UTK Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2018 20:56 Send this review to a friend
The best one of them all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a TS-870SAT, TS-940SAT, TS-180S, TS-530S, TS-520, and two TS-830S (one gold). I use my TS-830's the most. While the TS-870 is great for digital and the TS-940 is good AM and for quick band changes, I use my two TS-830s for most of my contacts. Both the receive and transmit audio are great, it's reparable, and has a great arsenal of tools to drag those signals out of the QRM. It is a real pleasure to use. I also use audio DSP inside my SP-230 speaker to make my 830 even quieter and now it is like listening to your favorite FM radio staton. I can hear anything my neighbor can on his IC-7600. I see no reason to go out and purchase the latest and greatest transceiver. This one I will keep long after all the others have gone.

WA9RHD Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2018 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Best Audio of All MY Rigs!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After reading all the great reviews of this radio ("Face Death Rather Than Get Rid of It"), I agree with previous reviews.

I bought mine for $350 at a club auction and haven't looked back since. Paying $600 for the rig, as I have seen them online, is a little steep!

This rig has the best receive audio I have ever heard! Sometimes I just turn the heater off and listen!

On the negative side it has two problems: it drifts and has no CW keyer.

The drift problem is best solved now with a DDS VFO.

Band changing QSYs are not fast - but it is a hybrid!

ENJOY!

KD8IIC Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2018 20:50 Send this review to a friend
Very Best Non-DSP CW Rig Made  Time owned: more than 12 months
Found mine on eBay as a buy it now, right away I shipped it to Terry Wagoner, K9TW, for an overall overhaul.
Got it back and it is in like new condition!
I'm a CW man full-time so the big draw for finding one of these rigs was the Receiver!
This has got to be the absolute very best, quiet
Pre-General Coverage/Pre-DSP receiver made.
The VBT, Notch and I.F. Shift cannot be equaled.
The controls are linear, not rotary selectors as on the newer DSP rigs.
I'm adding the two 400Hz i.f. filters next.
If you're a serious weak signal intercept CW man you owe it to yourself to find one even if only to use as your receiver.
BTW; Turn down the gain til the ALC doesn't move
and you will have key-click free sending.
You will still have >100w output.
Turn it down even lower for QRP es QRPp!
VY 72/73 from Lane n8aft sk ..

KA4AQM Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2017 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Broke the mold....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am thoroughly convinced that Kenwood broke the mold after the final production run of this radio. They probably thought, "how can we top this?". The 830 is (present tense of course) my first HF radio and I still have it. Bought it in St Louis in 1983 (34 years old) and still have original finals. Matched with SP-230, MC-50 and VFO-240. I echo the sentiments about this radio, if you see one for sale, buy it. If you are down on your luck and need money, sell this last; but only to a Kenwood user. No other user can appreciate this great radio.

SV1AGK Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2017 01:20 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
best receiver of many other new generation.

SV1AGK Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2017 04:08 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
the excellent easy receiver for ears, no any problems.

WM5M Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2017 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Amazing.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gold label, fully fitted with filters. Sold my 940S if that's a clue. Sold my FT 897D {Good radio}, Yaesu Ft-450 {toy}. Kept the Real radio. Sure I recapped it, but worth every penny. All my radios feed through a Timewave DSP but never use it. Why?

K9VA Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2017 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Pinnace of an era  Time owned: more than 12 months
Was intrigued by the many excellent reviews of the rig, as I fully agree with them. I was fortunate enough to be part of a club that bought the full 830 line for the club station in the early 80's, and I operated it for two years. It was a joy to operate - clean lines, intuitive, visually appealing. As the infamous country song goes it was "hotter than a $2 pistol, long and lean, every young boy's dream". I am jealous of the ops who have one today.