Reviews Categories | Audio Accessories for Transmitter & Receiver | W2IHY EQ Plus Help

Reviews Summary for W2IHY EQ Plus
W2IHY EQ Plus Reviews: 143 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $TBD
Description: The processing power of a full-blown audio rack in a single compact, shack-friendly component.
More info: http://w2ihy.com/eqplus.asp

You can write your own review of the W2IHY EQ Plus.

HB3YDW Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2019 20:59 Send this review to a friend
I like it much  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using the EQplus with the M100 dual element mic and the FTDX5000. The MD-100 and the M100 pick up a lot of background noise. Even with moderate mic gain. Running a server in the shack is an annoyance. So the main reason I purchased the EQplus is to eliminate fan noise.

Had some troubles to adjust it at first. The sound out of the headphones was not what I expected. The effects sounded brutal and raw. But with my SDR and Audition I got it right. The downward expander does a great job and the difference is like day and night. Compression is really powerful. No idea how people can run it at 2 o'clock. The Equalizer works well together with the parametric EQ in the FTDX5000.

Julius customer support is just outstanding.

W1BG Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2019 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Not perfect but nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Before I was able to actually hear myself over the air and was relying solely on how I sounded to myself in my headset (TX Monitor function on the IC-7610)) I thought the EQPlus was the greatest TX Audio accessory available. I have since tempered that opinion slightly.

It's still a good product and worth the price, but in actual on-air and after many record/playback tests, the Downward Expander feature only eliminates background noise during pauses, not during actual speech. When the gate opens to allow speech, the noise is also there along with it and (depending on level) sometimes very noticeably superimposed on your transmitted syllables. When enabled and regardless the level setting, the DE seems to create a somewhat objectionable clipping effect. I've since come to prefer the more natural sound of my TX audio without the DE enabled and instead have been working to reduce the background (mostly blower noise) to a more reasonable level. Use of a more directional mic (pointed away from the noise source) has also helped.

The "Effects Processor" (reverb by any other name) can also be very objectionable unless limited and narrowly constrained to both level and delay settings of 9:00 or less. - Just a bare smidgeon can sometimes improve richness, but any level or delay high enough to be noticed is too much. IMO "Reverb" has no place on ham radio. If used with minimal settings, switch position 2 (single bounce) is usually best. Please be careful with the Effects Processor.

The soeech compressor works extremely well but is best described as deadly, as it is very easy to way-way over-do it. People will generally tell you when you've overdone it. Listen to them. You want about a 6 dB boost for DX and contest work only. For local ragchews your group will be much happier with it off.

Again IMO really the strongest feature of the EQ+ is the two band EQ. Both bass and treble controls are very smooth and linear. Best settings can only be achieved by actual on-air testing with recording and playback. On either the IC-7300 or 7610 this can also be accomplished by using the Voice TX feature, then listening to yourself AFTER making the recordings.

As I said, a very nice unit that maybe has it's place in some applications, and truly awesome customer support, though perhaps not something that I would race out to buy again.

AC1GM Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2019 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Highly Effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a great piece of gear! I had it setup and running right out of the box in about 10 minutes (I had ordered all of the cables specifically for my radio), and it is far superior to the processor built into my Yaesu FT-450. It was nice to be able to use the built in monitor function to test my audio without cooking my dummy load. More importantly the guys from the local radio club unofficially voted me as "Most improved signal" on our Wednesday night net! The general consensus was that I was much louder, and that the audio was "pleasant to listen to" and "a good rag chew sound". The added punch of the compressed audio is actually making me reconsider the amplifier I was going to purchase. I don't know why I didn't buy one sooner!

KA2ZSD Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2018 22:31 Send this review to a friend
Its a Blast   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using W2IHY EQ Plus with Icom-7410 with Heil PR781 Mic increases my average talk power on Nets and DX .Takes away back ground noise to---

I am going try EQ-Plus on Icom-775DSP with Heil 781 mic might have use the mic power switch on W2IHY EQ Plus I have ask W2IHY ..

Kilo-Watt-Joe
KL4QG

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2017 10:45 Send this review to a friend
superior high quality built  Time owned: more than 12 months
This EQ is built to last a lifetime. From the enclosure , toggle switches , knobs ect have a highest quality feel. You can make your audio sound like a fm broadcaster with just any cheap mic. The best part it Julius will always be there to help you through and issues and is quite patient and knowledgeable. This guy is the real deal. His units are all you need to have outstanding audio. The only other thing you need is a full deep voice and you will be the king of the hill. Thank you Juius for all you did for me. I will add he can make you any cable configuration you want. HIGHLY recommend W2IHY units.

IT9SEV Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2017 23:45 Send this review to a friend
The best solution to make the most of your modulation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Eq Plus W2IHY is exceptional, as well as direct support and the availability of Julius or Julius whom I always thank. I'm fine with my Eq Plus now, but I do not conceal that I had some difficulty setting in the beginning to find the best setting. Every once in a while, modulation brought annoying noises, but I did not understand. The secret in my opinion is basically the two knobs that regulate the compressor and the output level. Just lower the compressor level as much as possible and gradually increase the output level keeping in mind the RTX ALC, to get the most out of it and the game is done! .... The rest of the knobs are really easy to set up, just simply adjust the input and expansion level thresholds. There is no better radio amateur market, for me Eq Plus is the # 1 with a nice Heil sound PR-40 or PR-781 microphone that will give you great satisfaction in modulation compression and brilliance. I use it in my two transceivers : Icom IC775 DSP and Yaesu FTDX5000 MP and it works fine. One more boost !!

WA6LDI Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2017 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the pleasure of conducting business with Julius (W2IHY) for a number of years and cannot stress enough of the OUTSTANDING customer service this wonderful man has provided! In today's business world, this is indeed a "breath of fresh air"... Julius has always been there to assist in any way possible to resolve issues, that are usually those of customer error rather than product design or poor quality.

On a personal note, I have used his 8 band equalizer, EQ Plus, I-Plus for many years and have not experienced any issues... My most recent acquisition from Julius is his excellent 3x4 Switch Plus along with two 1x4 Antenna switches. He assisted me over the phone when I had some questions with the installation. Julius provided extremely helpful suggestions which resulted in all of my equipment operating flawlessly. I can now switch between 3 transceivers and 3 different linear amplifiers and one antenna; all interfaced with W2IHY's designed audio system and 3x4 Switch Plus! Thank you, Julius, for your wonderful customer service and exceptional equipment design that you've provided to the amateur radio community!

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2016 16:04 Send this review to a friend
10 years later.... still perfect.  Time owned: more than 12 months
How many things can YOU say that about.

KM3F Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2016 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Once setup you won't operate without it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This unit puts together the best these systems have to offer for fidelity, speech compression, downward expansion, level control and addition of small amount of time delay enhancement.
The results are clean high average RF power without distortion that sounds way beyond an un processed audio signal.
The secret is to understand what the unit is doing and set levels accordingly.
It is not a plug and play unit without the need for education.
As for microphones, only a good Dynamic with a response down to 50 hertz and out to about 4000 hertz is needed. No expensive wide range mic are needed. Only for the speech band, not entertainment out to 7 to 10k hertz.
There are several dynamic mikes in the $20 range that will sound just as good as the expensive spread.
I'm there and can tell you it works. I've tested 3 different mike to see.
Another tidbit; the compression plays with the receiving ends receiver AGC. The higher average RF power makes my signal stronger on their S meter reading and increases my signal to noise ratio over the average of all the other signals in that time frame.
This plays out everyday by my being heard when many others are not, even in poor propagation conditions caused by the mass eruptions on the sun that have been wrecking 40m band propagation in recent times.
good luck.

W3SCA Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2016 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I absolutely love my EQ Plus! I get nothing but great audio reports and always receive compliments on my audio. I run a Heil 781 or PR40 with this unit. I have a rack full of Berhinger audio gear but this one box does just as well. also Julius is a great guy to talk and deal with and he is always willing to help me with questions or cables....