Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-80B Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-80B
Ameritron AL-80B Reviews: 137 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1300
Description: Kilowatt output HF desktop linear
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=AL-80b

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-80B.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2019 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Terrifc  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine used ,a newer version for $500
Run mine off 120 . 3100 volts on the anodes.
An easy 1k output
AND for max tube life the 3-500 needs to work as it was designed to do FULL OUTPUT .people who “baby” this amp are going to have premature tube failure.
And the amp purrs like a kitty

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2019 00:19 Send this review to a friend
Cool beans  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned nearly two years now. Bought new. No hiccups. Used mostly on 80 meters. Doubt I'll never need anything else.

THC1 Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2019 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Truly a Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this new about 8 years ago and have used but not abused it fairly regularly mostly on 40
meters.
As several others have posted tuning & operation
is pretty straight forward & and 70 watts of drive
gets 800 out on 40 meters with no issues on 240 volts.
Can't see any reason to want any thing bigger this one does all I need.

KI3R Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2018 01:09 Send this review to a friend
A bit more would be better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the amp for about a year now and it has performed well with 500 watts to the antenna. The problem with the unit is with tuned input. It seems to me that for a 1 - 2 hundred buck increase a hardware resolution would be possible. It makes little sense to fiddle with a screw adjustment at the back of the set to enable operation on different bands. I know that the additional hardware would be an expense but the improved operation would pay for itself over time. I also look with amusement at those who operate the amp at "overly optimistic" outputs. It is not a key down KW. The 4 rating is solely based on the input characteristics ... it would have been a 5.

The best to all for 2019 .... Tom KI3R Belle Vernon PA

WA2SI Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2018 00:20 Send this review to a friend
AL-80BQ - Great Amp at a Bargain Price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A great bargain and a nice clean amplifier. I rarely use phone but it'll provide a nice clean signal on both phone and CW. I ordered mine with the internal pin diode QSK-5PC module, works fb. My Elecraft K2/100 drives it comfortably to approx. 800 watts on CW. (Although I never run it anywhere near that power level.) Just what I needed to be a bit more competitive in the DX pileups. Two thumbs up!

AD8AB Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2018 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Kickin'  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just replaced my AL-80A that I bought in 1987 with a brand new lastest revision AL80B (version 2F post Serial # 20737.) We took a road trip to DX Engineering to pick it up last weekend. Took the cover off to install the tube and was extremely impressed with what I saw.THe Inrush current protection circuit now uses a sealed solid state relay and the Transmit/Receive Relay has been replaced by a pair of similar sealed Solid state relays. No sparks, thumps, clicks or buzzes. I was really very happy with the 80A that this replaced, but when the XYL offers its important that you accept. The Original EIMAC in the 80A has lasted 30 years and still is 95%. it will get a new set of caps and it will become my backup. This new one will out live me, I'm sure. The new circuitry is a really good and solid design and is a testament to Ameritrons engineering quality..73 AD8AB

NA3R Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2018 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased my AL-80B in December of 2017 and it is a great little amplifier. It doesn't take up too much desk space and puts out a solid 700 watts on CW and peaks a KW on SSB.

No difficulties with it so far. Easy to tune-up and the ALC circuit works nicely with my FTDX-1200.

You have to turn the ALC control on the back of the amp fully clockwise then adjust the ALC SET control on the front of the amp to about 4. This results in all tube parameters being within specifications as per the manual.

I purchased a cable on eBay that works perfectly with it from a company called generalvideo and are made by a ham, W7YEN - 10-PIN MINI-DIN CABLE WITH KEYING AND ALC FOR YAESU FT-950 FT-450 FT-DX1200.

This amp is a steal for the money.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2018 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Strong and forgiving  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine in Nov 2017 used for a great price. It's been awhile since I had a tune / tube type amp and I did make a few little goofs in the beginning resulting in one pretty strong internal arc in the amp. It seems it didn't do any damage and it still works. 700-800W SSB out on a mediocre 120v line with other stuff on it but I have been able to work anyone I hear. I will inspect for arc damage when I do my 6 mo cleaning. I'm keeping it.

N4KC Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2017 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Effectively amplifies  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
An upgrade from my trusty AL-811, which has served me well. The quandary was whether to go solid state or not. The price and the reviewed performance of the AL-80B convinced me to remain "hollow state," and so far, no regrets. The amp does all I would expect and more, gives full rated power out on all bands with 65 watts drive or less, tunes easily and consistently, and appears to be clean on the air (according to many who have taken a look on their fancy-schmantzy band scopes!). Note that I am running it on 110 volts...a dedicated circuit...and it seems to do just fine.

I inspected it carefully when I installed the final tube and did the 10-meter mod. All solder connections were beautifully done and there was no loose hardware that I could find.

Only minor quibbles:
--The fan is a tad noisy but I am already used to it and hardly notice it anymore. It does its job well.
--The input SWR on 30 meters is a bit high. I have not tweaked it since I doubt I'll use the amp much on that band and don't want to mess up the 20-meter input...where I WILL use it.

I use the amp on a regular AM schedule every week. I drive it with 15 watts on AM and get over 200 watts out. I consistently get unsolicited reports of good audio and signal purity with the 80B and a Kenwood TS-590S. It does get warm with long (typical AM) transmissions but never hot.

The 80B does exactly what I want it to do, does it well, and--so far--does it reliably. That's a "5" in my book.

VK5AGC Rating: 1/5 Jun 27, 2016 00:48 Send this review to a friend
Disapointment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Seems lots of people like this amp, having had it for or a short time,it has let me down badly. It is with Ameritron now,and I sincerely hope they are going to sort it all out for me.The first one I bought wasn't good at all, the second one not much better!...I am hoping the blokes at Ameritron are going to fix it once and for all.