Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 136 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

W2WHT Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2018 01:55 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have grown somewhat partial to Yaesu equipment. I had a VX7RB when I bought this radio. They use the same battery packs so it made sense to get this radio. I bought it on one of the ham classified sites and I got the radio, power supply and two battery packs for $200 shipped.

I programmed it at first with CHirp and then I downloaded and used VX commander and it was a bit easier to use. The radio does everything it should and with an aftermarket antenna I can hit the local repeater from 7 or 8 miles away with no problem. (Not line of sight.)

This radio has extended receive and while that sounds impressive, you do need the appropriate antenna to listen to anything in the frequencies below 30 MHz.

Water proof or at least strongly water resistant is a great feature if you are outdoors in less than sunny weather. I use this radio to monitor local emergency services and it will go quite a while on a battery with moderate traffic.

I know that the radio is packed with far more features than I would ever use and plenty of memories. As far as I know as of today, the radio is still in production so you can buy new or used. Either way, it is a great hand held.

SAPPHIRE Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2018 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I think it's one of the most complete and best built. Very good battery life. Good reception but do not use antennas with too much gain. Very good transmission. To increase the regular battery life: Dimmer level 5 or 4, Rx Save 500MS Bsy Led Off. To increase the modulation Mic Gain level 9. To unlock fast squelch below Ptt next menu 36 M / T - CL to set position Moni

KG7AHL Rating: 0/5 Mar 22, 2018 07:24 Send this review to a friend
WELL KNOWN CERAMIC FILTER ISSUE, POOR YAESU SUPPORT  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio was purchased three years ago as the most rugged model of the type and maintained in pristine condition and seldom used, perhaps 5 hours total. This was to be my go to radio for extreme situations in bad weather which it never saw. To make matters worse, I purchased several batteries and every accessory for this radio. One day, turned unit on and had issues with reception, indicative of one or more (KNOWN) ceramic filter failures, Yaesu USA agreed this to be the likely issue but stated repairs would not be covered. A 3.5 satisfaction rating for Yaesu repair services means I will not be sending the radio back for them to repair. This radio and others affected by the ceramic filter issue should have been recalled by Yaesu.

In the mean time, I will use my Wouxun and Baofeng radios which have proved very reliable despite daily hard use.

WD4ELG Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2018 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used it for AMSAT, repeaters, decoding APRS, weather alerts/scanner. My minor complaint is no SSB capability, and the menu is complex. Fortunately there is programming software which works flawlessly.

11 years after owning it, and it just works.

WT8P Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2017 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first post-license radio, chosen because it's rugged and waterproof, a necessity when hiking in the Pacific Northwe't or working multi-hour events like the the Seattle Marathon, which always seems to be held in bad weather. :)

The MH-73A4B waterproof speaker/microphone is nice addition as it's louder and clearer than the built-in speaker. For portable operations, I use a Comet SMA-24 dual-band or Diamond SRH320A tri-band antenna. (220MHz transmit is limited to 1.5W.) When I set up a base camp (such as running field for net control), I use a J-Pole based on one of Ed Fong's (WB6IQN) designs.

The manual is well-written. The learning curve for the radio's primary functions, setting up repeaters, manual seeking, was surprisingly low. The first, most important function I discovered was how to disable WIRES. Nothing says "I'm a new ham" faster than beep-boop-beep preceding each transmission because you inadvertently touched the clover key.

Battery life has been adequate to run a small, four-hour net control station. For longer events, I've brought a couple of homemade power packs based on a pair of Lithium 18650 cells - two of these are nice hot spares.

Overall performance has been better than the Baofeng my SAR friends have used, although the external microphone helps a lot. When I've tried Winlink, the VX6R is much more predictable whereas the BF seems to struggle with sustained transmit. On the other hand, the UV5R is so ubiquitous, there are a lot of well-documented mods for it, such as the cable for a PiGate.

One nit I have is when the radio's off and the charger is plugged in or removed, the radio speaker crackles. Sometimes, rather than charging, it will go into a weird standby mode.

I did run into some sensitivity issues in NBFM mode that seem to occur with this line of radios that was still under warranty. (The issue is also mentioned on
WO9U's web site, http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/vx7r.html)

LZ1BOR Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2017 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Submersible Dual-Band FM Transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hello all,

Yaesu VX-6R/E is an excellent radio - both for amateur and professional use.
Also for beginners or experienced operators.

Pros (+):
1. Tough body, compact size & good wide receiver, which is excellent for new amateur operators as it will encourage their curiosity.
2. Battery performance is also good, regarding the compact size of the radio and the battery itself.
3. Stock antenna is good and could be enough for a beginner.
Personally I use "Super-elastic Signal Sticks" antenna from https://signalstuff.com/, as well, which has very good performance exactly on the ham VHF/UHF bands and helps you to get the best of this little VX-6.
4. The compact size, ergonomics and IPX7 waterproof makes it great choice for outdoor professional or amateur use, despite of the weather and environment conditions.
5. VX-6 is also capable to transmit on the professional VHF/UHF band (after modification), which again makes it great choice for professional or amateur use. It is also good for marine operation.
I personally use it mainly for amateur radio operation.
DO NOT violate the law and do not do the modificaion unless you are qualified and authorized to transmit outside the amateur VHF/UHF band!!! This modification option is available in order to be able to use the radio for professional reasons, not to disturb professional operators!
However VX-6 gives you the option to listen in wide enough range. Do not transmit outside the amateur band, unless you are allowed and required to do so.
6. VX-6 is very easy to program and use = user friendly.
You can also use CHIRP (http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp) or VX-6 Commander (http://www.kc8unj.com/vx6.html) for easy programming via PC.
I personally have both, but I use VX-6 Commander as it allows you to configure everything on your VX-6 (God bless KC8UNJ!).

Cons (-):
1. The loudspeaker could be a bit more powerful, as in noise environment it might not be enough loud. However, there are enough accessories, which can eliminate this minor issue.
2. Keypad is a bit small, but this is the price you have to pay in order to have that great radio in such small. compact and ergonomic body.

As a result, I am absolutely happy with my choice of YAESU VX-6E.

LZ1BOR

KK4JUG Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2017 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Good Radio! It has some shortcomings. The first that comes to mind is the 1.5W on 220. I see no reason why. My Anytone tri-band has 5W on 220. It can be a complicated radio and people have down-rated it for that. All of the features are noted in the ads. The fact that someone doesn't have the time or isn't capable of using the features isn't the fault of the radio.

I like the waterproof feature. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I can certainly see the benefits.

The manual says the LED transmit/receive light is also supposed to indicate charging status. Mine doesn't and that's a minor inconvenience. I don't know whether they designed that feature out and didn't change the manual or whether it just isn't working on my radio. The screen still shows whether it's charging or not.

Overall, I like the radio. To simplify programming, I also got the RT Systems program. I like their programs but that's for another review.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2017 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great

WT8P Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2017 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy radi  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first post-license radio, chosen because it's rugged and waterproof, a necessity when hiking in the Pacific Northwe't. The MH-73A4B waterproof speaker/microphone is nice addition as it's loud and clearer than the built-in speaker. For portable operations, I use a Comet SMA-24 dual-band antenna. When I set up a base camp (such as running field for net control), I use a J-Pole.

The manual is well-written. The learning curve for the radio's primary functions, setting up repeaters, manual seeking, was surprisingly low. The first, most important function I discovered was how to disable WIRES. (Nothing says "I'm a new ham" faster than beep-boop-beep preceding each transmission because you inadvertently touched the clover key.)

Battery life has been adequate to run a small, four-hour net control station. For longer events, I've brought a couple of homemade power packs based on Lithium 18650 cells - two of these are nice hot spares.

WO9U's web site, http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/vx7r.html)

K1FDD Rating: 2/5 Nov 6, 2016 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Receiver problem on some models  Time owned: more than 12 months
I went all in on a VX-6R about 5 or so years ago. Spare Batteries, waterproof mic, earpiece, etc. I loved this radio! Used it at Boston Marathon twice with great success. Then one day I couldn't hear the repeater a few miles away...AT ALL! Turns out several of the VX-6R, 7R and even a few 5R have an issue where the receiver dies. Yaesu initially wouldn't acknowledge the issue and I put it in a drawer for a few years. Recently, I found some info on line to repair it and hoping might be able to restore it. Hope the batteries lasted too. When it worked 4/5 to 5/5.

Link to description and repair of VX7: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/vx7r.html

If you want to do HF monitoring, get a TH-F6A. The 6R only does HF AM.