Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Icom IC-745 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-745
Icom IC-745 Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $650.00
Description: Old ICOM HF rig

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-745.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2019 22:22 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful old rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, I admit to being an Icom 'fanboy', although I have LOTS of other brand radios.

I recently updated my main operating position and my Icom 761 and 745 had to go into storage,
I bought my 745 new, back 'in the day' and it has been an excellent performer.
Sure it doesn't have all the eye candy of the new radios like my TS-890, but how much do you need to communicate?

My first surprise concerning how good the 745 receiver was came when I hand carried a new (the week it was announced) 756PRO back from Tokyo.

At times, my QTH has horrible powerline RFI noise. I found the NB on the PRO to be completely ineffective, however, the older 745 and 761 could eliminate the noise 100%. wth?

I 'heard' the NB in the PROII and PROIII were improved.

The 745 is a excellent radio for new hams and I was kinda sad to see it put into storage....

ron
N4UE

SV9DRU Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2018 20:50 Send this review to a friend
Factory mistakes uncovered  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very nice rig, provided 2 AGC mistakes are corrected. I have recently discovered and solved them, transforming the radio from a "noisy" or better tiring RX to one with excellent intelligibility audio.

I feel (and the ARRL data show it) the Rx is better than the one in the IC-751A due to lower synthesizer noise. This was achieved by deriving the 2nd LO from a crystal oscillator circuit instead of indirect synthesis.
Its design is directly derived from the one in the IC-740, with its well recognized excellent Rx performance.

The trade off from this design though, is the overall frequency stability, which depends on 3 different sources being in sync i.e. the 1st LO, the 2nd LO and the BFO crystals ! Not a simple task.
Another issue with the frequency stability, not easily solved, is its dependence on the PA fan cycling on-off during TX.

Covering the 1st and 2nd LO crystals with a thermally insulating material helps a lot but does not ameliorate the problem.
In my experience, changing the 2nd LO trimmer with a lower value one while substituting the parallel NPO cap with a higher value, just made things worse. It seems that the inherent negative temperature coefficient of a higher value (ceramic) trimmer is needed, in order to offset the temp. induced crystal frequency excursions.

Putting the frequency stability issue aside, after the proper AGC mods (fixes), the radio can show its true virtues !

I have prepared a detailed article with the description of the above mentioned mods and service tips. It has been submitted to eham (not yet published), but can also be sent to anyone interested upon request (sv9dru@hotmail.com).

73 to all and keep those soldering irons warm!
Marinos, sv9dru / ki4gin

W0BKR Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2018 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy Today!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Radio has all the features an op needs today (minus DSP). 160-10, SSB/CW/FM/Digital. Easy to use, great receiver and you can get them today for under $400. If you find one, get one. Don't need to replace the trimmer caps unless you have problems, and using the Piexx board will keep the memories intact at a low cost.

WB9VKM Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2018 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Prefered over new rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a IC730 and IC 7200 to compare to.The 745 is much more sensitive to the others and the reports I get back is it is LOUD,even been accused of running a amp when barefoot.Radio has been gone thru ,the memory board replaced ,trimmer caps replaced and aligned to specs with 110 watts thru a bird.

N2MDV Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2017 21:16 Send this review to a friend
A great classic rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After trying out my Bro-in-law's famed IC-R71, I knew that the IC-745 was the R-71 with a TX in it. So, when a friend of mine had his IC-745 up for sale, I jumped on it. This one came with the FM board. Love that big Icom S/RF meter, and still looks great with a white LED behind it now. This rig has pulled out so may tough catches whether it be HAM, utility, number, pirate, or TIS, stations. Yeah, I could hear tough catches with my Kenwood TS-2000X, but with the Icom IC-745 I could enjoyably listen to them. This has also been a great Field Day rig. Just with the stock mic and running barefoot, if you hear them, this rig works them. And the great RX sensitivity is spec'ed with the preamp OFF, unlike the specs of most of today's rigs. (That has always bugged me about today's rigs.) The RX preamp is an extra +20dB and it makes the difference. The minuses of this rig? While it doesn't sound bad, an Icom, sounds like an Icom, sounds like an Icom. You get AM RX, but no AM TX, and not many rigs around 1983 offered that anyway. This rig bottoms out power-wise to 10W. QRP 5W, or less would be nice. And yes, that Volatile RAM CPU has to be dealt with. I went with Piexx, and after getting two boards with the wrong CPU software, the 3rd board came with the JMP's wrong. That, I was able to fix and keep this classic rig rockin'. So, if you go the Piexx Boards way, put their noses to the fire and make sure you get the right software and JMP's correct. Oh!!! Another plus is you use WWV 10MHz to keep your main OSC FREQ correct with this rig in a FREQ procedure. Very nice!!!!!!

W1XYZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2016 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Superb even today  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my IC-745 since it was new. I have the internal PS, the FM board, nonvolatile memory and the AM transmit mod done. The only problem I have had was a microprocessor failure that required swapping out one IC, which Icom provided for free. It was easy. I've worked over 315 countries with this rig on 10M and find the receiver is tight, easily and quickly optimized via front panel controls and it has an excellent noise blanker. Quick QSY is easy as is fast A=B to split operation. It outperforms the IC-746 on the ham bands with lower noise floor and better selectivity, and the IC-706MKII. If something fails I can easily fix it, since there are mostly discrete components with easy access and well laid out boards. The display is bright and easy to read, and the internal PSU makes no noise, is stiff, and easy to reconfigure to various voltages such as 115 and 230. I believe I will keep this one until the end of ham radio or of me, whichever comes first.

K5ZG Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2013 15:22 Send this review to a friend
REALLY NICE RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
HAD ONE WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT...LOVED IT AND THEN SOLD IT AND MOVED UP TO IC751A..NOT MUCH DIFF. GOT ANOTHER ONE YRS LATER AND LOVED IT...USED AS IF STRIP ON 6 AND 2 METERS...REALLY GREAT FOR THAT WITH XVERTER...SOLD IT....NOW RUN THE PRO 3 AND SAW USED MINT 745 ON EBAY..GOT IT. PUT IN INRAD FILTERS AND PIEXX MOD...WAS AT KC0HH HOUSE FOR THE CQ 160CW TEST AND USED THIS RIG WITH HIS AMP AND ANTENNA...HAD FORGOTTEN HOW WONDERFUL THE PBT AND IF SHIFT WERE..REALLY TIGHT FILTERS WITH NO BLOWBY LIKE ON THE ORIGINAL 751 (NOT THE A). I REMEMBER PUTTING A 745 IN THE NOISY PICKUP TRUCK AND THE NOISE BLANKER TOOK OUT 20PLUS DB NOISE WITH NO DEGRADED SIGNAL. THINK ILL DO IT AGN. ONLY OTHER BLANKER THAT WAS ANY GOOD WAS THE DRAKE TR4 WITH PNB4 BLANKER. NO DEGREDATION OF SIGNAL. WOULD THINK WITH OUR TECHNOLOGY TODAY SOMEONE WOULD HAVE A REAL BLANKER THAT WOULD WORK AND NOT DEGRADE SIGS.
THERE IS NO ULTIMATE RIG AND FOR 40 YRS PLUS I CHASED IT WITH EFFORT AND LOTS OF MONEY..AM DONE NOW. SLICK LITTLE STRAIT FWD RIG WITH GREAT RX. IM 99%CW BUT FOLKS LIKE EVEN MY HORRIFIC MONOTONE BASE VOICE ON THE 745.

N6MYA Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2012 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this radio with the internal power supply for $275.00 at a swap meet. Sold the internal power supply for $150.00. Bought a Piexx RAM board for $59.00. Had the VCO and 2nd LO trimmers replaced with ceramic units and rig aligned for $111.00. Did the 'brown wire mod' and the radio transmits anywhere, including the new 60 meter band. This radio is about the best i have used. Used to have an IC-740 that was excellent, but could not work the new 60 meter band. Used to have a Ten-Tec 'factory' OMNI VI+ with the roofing filter and ALL of the IF filters. This one WAS the best i've ever had, but again, could not work 60 meters.

Love this IC-745 and always get excellent reports with the SM-6 mic.

XE3LW Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2011 22:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 745 was my first Icom Rig.
I had mine with most of the accesories and filters.
Noisy synthesizer. But Very good receiver.
I really loved its military style.

KV6C Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2011 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine since new in the early '80's. Tremendously reliable, great performer, and simple to operate - you don't need to spend days in a manual figuring out sub-menus with this rig.

I've only used the stock filters and find that I don't need anything more than that.

Only had two malfunctions in 26 years, that are very easy to fix:
1) The stock HM-12 mic died. The compatible ICOM replacement mics are: HM-12, HM-14, HM-36 (get the Japanese HM-36, the Chinese ones are bad) and SM-6. I've also found that the SM-50 works well too.
2) The RAM board lithium battery got low and corrupted the RAM. When this happens your display with show all zeros, or in my case it will display frequencies that are not possible like 97.343 and such. Very easy to fix - just drop in a Piexx replacement ram board (about $60) and you're good to go.

One final note - it's easy to fall prey to the slick marketing and desire to get the latest and greatest DSP rigs. I know, because my XYL has the ICOM 7600. It's a beautiful rig, but at ten times the price of a used 745, it's not ten times better.

I love my 745 (XYL does too) - it's simple, reliable, and easy to work on. I'll never part with it.