Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | RadioWavz Carolina Windom Help

Reviews Summary for RadioWavz Carolina Windom
RadioWavz Carolina Windom Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $$75
Description: The RadioWavz Carolina Windom is ideal for those of you who do not use a tower and beam. It's also ideal for those who want a high performance antenna with world class DX coverage 80, 40, 30, 17, and 12 meters.
More info: http://www.radiowavz.com/html/carolina_windom.htm

You can write your own review of the RadioWavz Carolina Windom.

VE3HG Rating: 3/5 Feb 17, 2019 12:37 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in 2012 I gave RadioWavz 40-10 Carolina Windom a zero rating as I could not get it to load on any band. Now 7 years later needing a quick install (It's winter in Canada and I'm out working in the backyard in -10 degree C weather) and finding I can't get my trusty G5RV-JR up high enough to get the twin lead off the ground I found my much neglected RadioWavz Windom in a box. Up it goes about 25' in the air with the short leg at less than 45 degrees tied off to a chain-link fence and the long end strung across the yard. Both ends were only 5' above ground. And you know where this is going...the antenna loaded on 40, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10. Now I haven't checked what the actual SWR is but my rig's ATU is tuning it and I am getting out (worked ZL during ARRL CX CW 2019 and others). So what to conclude? This antenna works despite my previous comments but I suspect it works depending a great deal on how and where it is installed. My original comments stand but I have found some happiness with the antenna and suggest it may work for you too.

N4OAA Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2014 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Good for restricted operations  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in an HOA-controlled community that does not allow antennas. I only have a couple of trees to attach the antenna to, so my configuration is not even close to a proper installation (long end goes from the balun to a tree about 20 feet high at an angle; the short end goes from the balun to a tree about 6 feet high so I have about 3 feet of wire hanging down the side of the tree trunk). Despite this terrible installation, I have been making great contacts on bands 40-10. Customer Service is outstanding. I spoke to "HJ" twice and he took time answering all of my questions. Highly recommended!

K6CA Rating: 0/5 Aug 27, 2008 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Trash!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the Windom as a flat top at 40 feet. Plugged in the feedline and thought I had selected the dummy load. The SWR was over 10:1 on all bands, I thought for sure the feed line must be bad. Bought some shiny new coax, re-installed the so-called antenna and got the same results. Hard to believe that any sort of a length of wire could be so attenuated.
Emailed RadioWavz about a return and was told that I don't know how to install antennas. Tried 3 more times to communicate with no reply.
We might be called amateurs, but people that take our money are not supposed to be amateurs. Support your product you losers.

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2008 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Still a Great Wire Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well here we are again, this is an update to my review of the Carolina Windom by RadioWavz. It is still up @ 36' and still one of my best antennas. I use it mainly on my Yaesu rigs. Usually my FT-897D, and my FT-817D, I really like this antenna with the QRP rig. I tuned it up the other night using my 817, and my Daiwa tuner, was tuning around 40 meters, heard some one calling CQ and gave him a shout. Now mind you this was on 40 meters, around 6-6:30pm, had a LOT of QRM, we had to move up a couple of Kc, but we did and managed to have about a 5-6 min QSO. All that from a piece of wire up 36', AMAZING. So yea my little 67' Windom will stay right where it is thank you very much.

KC0WGB Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2007 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my fourth RadioWavz antenna. Like the others, I have had absolutely no problems with this antenna. I have found that the RadioWavz tech support is on a par with or even better than many other tech support departments I have had dealings with even with such companies as AOL or HP. The answers I have gotten from Emmett or Rochelle have been spot on and have answered my questions completely.

N8TNJ Rating: 0/5 Apr 20, 2007 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased their 40 meter windom. After some shipping problems I finally got the antenna. After taking down a well used G5RV and putting up the windom, I turned on the radio. Not a lot for signals, I just thought the bands were dead. Hooked up the g5rv and it sounded almost like a beam antenna. (laying on the ground)The website says you do not need a tuner for 10, 20, 40 meters. Put my analyzer on the antenna and it showed a s.w.r. of a 3 and over on all the bands. Called Emmett and he told me "oh you need a choke on the antenna". The instructions that came with the antenna said nothing about a choke, but no big deal. Pulled it down from 65ft for the 5th or 6th time an wound a choke in the coax. Back to my analyzer with almost the same readings. Called Emmett back on the 11th and said a new antenna would be sent out 4/13/07. As of 4/20/07 have not seen an antenna. Boxed up and sent the non working one in today. I would rather try to forget this purchase. And get my money back!