Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 9500 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 9500
Alpha 9500 Reviews: 120 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $7950. USD
Description: Fully-automatic 160-10M amplifier, successor to the 87A. Uses a single 8877 tube in grounded-grid configuration. Integrated antenna switching, full QSK with vacuum relay.
More info: http://www.alpharfsystems.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha 9500.

KE4AMQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2019 17:18 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got a 9500 lastnight I still own a 87a and a 374a and a couple commanders. The 9500 is a heck of a amp only used it a couple hours 30 watts in is about 1450 out. It dont even get hot its a super amplifier. Have not used it all that much like i said a few hours but its a power house of a Amp.

WC1X Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2019 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased this amp (FEB 2019) used from a fellow ham. It was basically a NOS amp with zero hours on it. I have been using it on SSB, CW and RTTY. The amp works perfectly. Every feature, function works as advertised. QSK is very good. Alpha remote software works well. My previous amp was a Alpha 87A.

AA6VB Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2019 23:11 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Amplifier   Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp six and a half and it has worked flawlessly! Full legal limit without pushing the amp. I love the fact it remembers which antenna is used for each band and, of course, the no tune feature. It is a pleasure to use.

I'll admit I really don't like the 3 minute warm up (not a fault but a feature), because most times I just listen and if some interesting DX comes along, I'd like to have full power in an instant. So, there is that. Otherwise, it's been fabulous.

Outstanding build quality and totally reliable.

Bob/AA6VB

KE7JHA Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2018 20:03 Send this review to a friend
GREAT GREAT AMP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i just purchased a refurbished Alpha 9500 from Glen at Alpha Amps and it works GREAT. Glen and Alpha were super thru the whole process. Support is GREAT, and I've never been so pleased with a product. If you ever had to tune & dip for every band and multiple freg. this Amp changes your life & enjoyment of the Hobby.
David / KE7JHA

K7LFY Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2018 23:18 Send this review to a friend
There are several versions of the 9500  Time owned: more than 12 months
For everyone's edification the Alpha 9500 has been built by numerous different operations over the last decade or so. Frankly the 9500's of a decade ago had problems. So did the organization making them. I know because I have one and dealt with them. Today's Alpha organization is clearly owned and operated by different people for the most part with different corporate ideals and attitude. The difference is night and day. I wrote a belated poor review for the 9500 recently and posted it here on eHam. Subsequently I have been in contact with key people and employees at the NEW Alpha operation in CO and OH and I am impressed with their candor, honesty and earnestness. They assure me that the NEW 9500 is generations ahead of the one I have and that they can update my 9500 to the new configuration for a reasonable cost and that will alleviate my former stated issues with this basically fine amplifier. I believe them and I plan to do just that. Steven Dishop and Glenn Pladsen have convinced me that the new Alpha organization produces a first rate product and that they stand behind it and are honorable business people. I am rewriting this review to clarify that my previous concerns were with an amplifier that is actually no longer being built. Technology has passed it by and I am sure that the upgrade will be a striking improvement. I will write yet another review after I have my 9500 upgraded. Bob Forgey K7LFY

VY1JA Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2018 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Keeps Remoting well..  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the past few years, Yukon CanAm Contest Club, under the direction of Gerry Hull, VE1RM/W1VE, has kept VY1AAA, YT-NT-Yukon on the air and made over 120,000 QSO's almost always under international remote control. The A-9500 has been central to their success in being there for others who need the Yukon in their log. The Alpha remote software has significantly helped with this work. As the host of this remote station, I have had the pleasure of receiving excellent reports on the signals of VY1AAA. We had the amp gone over and updated by Alpha Service, and we know it operates just like the latest production line Alpha 9500's. Buy this amp, read the and follow the manual and you cannot go wrong. I strongly recommend the Alpha 9500 and the manufacturer, Alpha RF Systems.

K1GUY Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2018 17:05 Send this review to a friend
BEST OF BREED  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a solid state amp, but they all seem to work hard with heavy duty cycles like FT-8.....due to two failures, I picked up an ALFA 9500 after considering all the alternatives. A beefy tube that can accept full power and laugh at it, as well as a well-matched transformer... It purrs along without a moment's hesitation, always seeming to ask for more ! It auto-tunes all my antennas to a 1.2:1 match or less...and it you make a mistake, it faults and lets you know it. Alpha Dependability is unmatched, and the service is still first class. IT's plug and play.....run and get a great AMERICAN MADE ,BEST IN CLASS AMP

WA3HDW Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2018 00:47 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased the 9500 new from Alpha about 4 months ago at the recommendation of two friends. Both use 9500's and love them. I cannot say enough good things about the quality, performance and great customer service Alpha provides. With 40 watts of drive it delivers 1500+ watts on all bands and the auto tune feature is outstanding. Recently I set up a remote station for when I travel and still want to get on the air with a good signal The 9500 with its remote software to a desktop provides me this capability with legal limit power. I would recommend this amplifier to anyone.

KA1CDE Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2017 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Amp for remote Operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have own this amp for about 3 years, 1500 watts out with about 60 watts drive. This amp has operated with out any issues since owning it.
I bought this amp because it has 4 antenna ports, I cover all bands 10-160 meters with a hex beam in port 1, 40 meters in ports 2, 75 meters in port 3, and 160 meters on the last port.
Once you set the memory in the amp for what antenna is connect the corresponding port, antenna switching is completely automated. To switch antennas the power switch needs to on, but it does not need the tube power up at all for band switching.
I use this amp with Alpha software with a Kenwood 2000 for my remote station with full control from my phone or any computer. I can see how the amp and radio is operating just like sitting in front of them.
Alpha 9500 can be completely shutdown remotely, as well as my radio.
I searched around before choosing the Alpha and have been 100% satisfied with my choice . Great looking amp, works perfect, remote capabilities, not to be beat yet from what I see!

WB9JOX Rating: 3/5 Apr 26, 2016 08:49 Send this review to a friend
blower problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this amp over 4 1/2 years.Third blower for this amp.I had to pay for last blower because it was out of warranty.Cost to me for repair was 254.00 dollars.I think bit out of line.Will be looking for replacement in case blower fails again.Could probably have bought a blower for furnace for that amount.