Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | MFJ-1620T Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1620T
Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $19,95
Description: HF mobile antenna for 20 m
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1620T

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1620T.

N9SD Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2019 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Works great, low SWR, excellent performance, working DX mobile!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the full-length hamsticks for 40m, 20m and 17m. They work great, particularly on 20m. With a trunk lip mount and proper tuning of the antenna (donít rely on an antenna tuner) I have been able to consistently work around the US and into Europe, Russia and South America with excellent signal reports - many people are surprised that I am running mobile. Lowest SWR is 1.2. On 20m, the SWR goes up to around 2 at the upper and lower band edges. Not bad. On 40m, itís pretty narrow, so I just tune it for around 7230. On 17m, the SWR is 1.2 or lower across the entire band.

The stainless steel whip is much longer than required, so as you are adjusting the antenna, you may find that it only resonates below the band in question. This happens because the bottom of the whip interacts with the coil. If the whip extends into the region of the coil, youíll need to shorten it. I have had to trim 4Ē - 6Ē from the bottom of the whips to get them to resonate where I want them..

I installed a shunted coil, 10 winds of insulated 12g house wire on a 1Ē form. This allowed me to get the SWR down from a 2 to a 1.2 on 40m. It appeared to make the antenna B/W a little wider on 20m, but I wouldnít swear by that.

I also added ground cables from the mount to the trunk lid and from the trunk lid to the chassis of the car. No other ground cables anywhere else.

Iím not a nose-in-the-air-hyper-critical-antenna-snob. If I can work stations from the car and have fun doing it, thatís all I really care about. These antennas work great and have opened a whole new experience in ham radio for me in mobile HF! After 43 years in the hobby, this is my first HF mobile experience, and Iím having a blast! Value per dollar spent: excellent!

See you on the air!

WB9VKM Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2019 23:57 Send this review to a friend
surprised me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 20 meter stick on a Bee Hive /stud mount in the truck deck. I run a Ft 891 thru RG8-U and a coil of 9 turns around 3 inch pcv. With the poor band conditions I have worked Japan Twice and Sovenia, in the first 3 months of 2019 - but I am not in the mobil every day . If I can hear them I can work them . SWR is about 17-2.0 across the band . Wish it would tune lower but it works.

KF2XN Rating: 0/5 Jan 28, 2018 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed & Frustrated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a rail/mirror mount, 25' of LMR-240 and the MFJ-1620T & MFJ-1617T tunable mobile whip antennas with the intention to mount them on the cockpit rail of my 40' sailboat to get a better signal on those bands. I spent close to $100 hamfest price from a dealer at the fest. Spent an entire afternoon trying to tune each whip for the desired operating frequency using an MFJ-259B analyzer. To no avail, I could not come even come close to tuning resonance to my operating frequencies nor could I obtain an SWR that was below 5:1. Worse on 17 meters, I gave up in frustration. I think the product is crap. It's going back to the dealer tomorrow. Licensed ham since 1967 and no beginner at this game. I feel like I got taken to the cleaners buying this junk.

W7KZU Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2017 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Wow, really good for what it is  Time owned: more than 12 months
On July 3rd went portable with two of these on a dipole mount raised up 17ft into the air on a painters pole in the middle of a park. Meanwhile the hams I was with put up a 34ft military mast and 102ft inverted-V dipole up and I was hearing more stations/making more contacts than them! It's amazing what these can do.

Also, I operated out of my 4th floor apartment with an S9 noise floor running two of these in a dipole on a 4ft piece of PVC pipe and was working PSK31, CW, FT8 all day on 20 meters. According to PSKreporter my signal is heard around the entire country daily even with 0 sunspot days and high K index.

I just mounted one of the sticks on my truck's bed lip... going to be testing it out tomorrow.

It's $15, try one out and if one doesn't work, try the dipole setup.. it works like a CHARM.

K6MTS Rating: 2/5 Jun 26, 2015 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Work OK but fragile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have over a dozen MFJ Ham Tenna's (6m-75m)and also have many of the Mini HF sticks.

While the mini stick performance is marginal, but OK-good when conditions are good, the full size Ham Tenna's actually work quite well.

Here is the problem I have experienced over the last 3 years: 3 of them now have broken near the base. The first one had no spring (MFJ says they don't need one, screw it right to your solid mount). The second 2 broke in the same place, even though I am using a large HD spring between the stick and the solid mount, located on the stout bracket solidly mounted in LR bed rail of my truck.

For a $15 item, it's not worth time/expense to ship to MFJ for 1 yr warranty. Last 2 I have reinforced with with multiple wraps of fiberglass. Time will tell if it stands up.

4 stars for performance but average out to 2 stars due to poor (cheap/thin wall) design.

SP5RE Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
I've never used better than this one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've made comparison with outbacker 2000 (multiband antenna with coil and wire jumper). MFJ has given 2 s higher signal; and Diamond BB2M (multiband too) - MFJ has giben 6 s stronger signal.
Using 100 W transceiver I've heard stations from other continents (even ZL). Driving around Poland it was very easy to make a qso with European countries. But ssb conntacts with US, Canada, Korea, Japan, Thailand and others were possible too, even during driving.
The antenna was on the triple magnet, on the van roof, next It has gone to a rear bumper (whole lenght of radiator was over the roof level). It has worked equally good in both places.
I haven't use a wrench to fix it in 3/8 socket so sometimes it has loosen. Tunning the antenna you should not insert radiator into the coil more than 1-2 cm (min lenght, just for fixing the radiator). If you do it, antana stops working. It is better to cut the top than to lower the radiator inserting the lower end into coil.
Now I have 2 years brake with ham radio in the car, but the new tarheel is wailting for comparison with MFJ.

AC2JO Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2013 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Best with a tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to use on Field Day 2013 with my Yaesu FT-897D as I had scheduled a cross-country trip that weekend.

I followed the instructions for tuning it, but could not get the SWR to what seemed a reasonable level. Whether I simply was lacking the patience to spend the time to get it right, or it couldn't get any better- I don't know. In any case I finally added the bolt-on LDG 897 external tuner (which I fortunately already had) to the mix and it did the trick. Takes up a little more space in the car and was trying to avoid using it, but oh well.

At any rate, once that issue was solved the antenna did very well. Worked states as far away from the east coast as Arizona and South Dakota during Field Day (and got compliments on a "great signal" to boot) and later even hit DX from South America and Kuwait.

As a mobile antenna, I'm satisfied.

N4QCV Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 21:37 Send this review to a friend
HERES AN UPDATE ON MFJ 1617 17 METER ANTENNA   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
WELL AS YOU READ IN MY OTHER REVIEW THE MFJ FIBERGLASS ANTENNAS MAG MOUNTED ON MY JEEP ARE STILL WORKING WONDERFULLY.....IM RUNNING 100 WATTS FROM BASEMENT APT TO MFJ ON MY JEEP....TODAY ON 17 METERS I WORKED THE SOUTH OF FRANCE.....BELGIUM.....AND REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA
ALL ON 100 WATTS!!!!!!! LIKE I SAID BEFORE THESE ANTENNAS WORK BETTER THEN I EVER EXPECTED!!!!!!!!!

DENNIS
N4QCV
ARRL VEC

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2011 15:48 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 20M HF Stick Ground Mounted Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MFJ 1620T is half the cost of the Lakeview "Hamstick"
Set up as ground mounted vertical with one 1/4 w counterpoise - 2 feet of the ground - of Arizona HOA - works very well. Many good reports stateside & DX.
The MFJ 1620T is a great value - have used as moble on truck - used 2 in dipole mount & now ground mounted - very happy with the results in all cases. 73 K1WJ

VE6OXR Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2009 16:24 Send this review to a friend
It Does Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well .. I have worked with this antenna on the roof of my car with a 3 magnet 3/8" mount. So far I have worked 2 hams in about 15 min of being on 20 meters. The first contact was in the Bay Area of San Jose California and the second contact was in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Like WOW .. it does work. I was running 100 watts on a Yaesu FT-450. This is from a mobile location in Western Canada. Does this antenna work .... yes it may not be the best antenna but it does get a signal out. What more can I ask for. Overall .. pleased with the performance.