Reviews Categories | Microphones for ham radio | Heil HC 5.1 Retro Element kit Help

Reviews Summary for Heil HC 5.1 Retro Element kit
Heil HC 5.1 Retro Element kit Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $59.00
Description: New life for the old Astatic D-104 or any vintage microphone with our conversion kit which includes our low impedance 600 ohm HC 5.1 dynamic element, with great speech articulation. It works great straight into Elecraft, Kenwood, Yaesu and most later ICOM rigs. Icom usage requires the supplied decoupling capacitor on the audio line (phantom powered 8 volts). http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/harmonics.htm#DC

For the high impedance vintage rigs, the kit includes one of our XT -1 high impedance transformers. A mounting ring and cover foam is included to mount the HC 5 element.

NOTE for ICOM USERS: Be certain to decouple the ICOM 8 volts! A 1 mfd. non polar capacitor with instructions is included for use with ICOM radios.

This is a great way to get all of your vintage microphones back on the air!

More info: http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/hcelements.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil HC 5.1 Retro Element kit.

VA7UO Rating: 1/5 Feb 21, 2019 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Save your money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one of these, bad move. You have to run full compression/audio to get anything out of this. Might be good for Kenwood but sucks on Icom.

WB3IOA Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2018 02:10 Send this review to a friend
Great upgrade element  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a beautiful classic Astatic T-3 microphone on a D-104 grip stand. But the original crystal high impedance element was not compatible with my Kenwood TS-440S transceiver. I saw the Heil HC 5 retro kit on DX Engineering's web site and ordered it. I get very good audio reports consistently. On air comparisons against my Kenwood mic vs. the retro kit always give Heil retro kit the preference. Very nice kit, installed easily with a bit of custom fitting. I've been using it over a year now and simply love it. Thank you, Heil, for letting me enjoy my T-3 classic!

W8KMA Rating: 1/5 Jun 6, 2018 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Must have missed something  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tried this Retro Element with a D104 G stand to use on a Icom 746. After the conversion, the old hand mic was still much better than the D104 with the 5.1 element. Even tried the head on a amplified stand just for laughs.. It was much better, but nothing compared to the original element. I just can't believe how little output this 5.1 element has. If anyone wants to try it, I'm done with it... Very disappointing. Maybe I got a dud element...

KE0Q Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2015 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this conversion kit from DX Engineering about a year ago and I think they still sell them. The conversion was simple. I also replaced the cable and connector with Heil microphone cable and connector. My D-104 was given to me many years ago by an Elmer and was in storage for a number of years. I didn't want this unique, classic microphone to go to waste and the Heil conversion kit brought this classic new life. I use it with my standby rig, a Kenwood TS-480 SAT, and I have received very good audio reports with this microphone

WA4FOM Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2015 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Bob really should bring this one back!  Time owned: more than 12 months

I had a battle-scarred D-104 I purchased on eBay a while back. Its cable was dry-rotted, and the base, not much more than cardboard, was badly warped. I gutted the mic, and said "what the Heil? Let's do this right". I bought one of the D-104 conversion kits, along with a roll of HeilWire and one of his easy-to-manipulate mic connectors.

After performing the conversion, I replaced the old rotted cable with the Heilwire, then took some 1/8" hobby plywood and cut a new base and fitted it with some stick-on rubber feet.

My last step was to get my hands on a can of Brasso (brass cleaning polish) and some old (but clean!) undershirts for buffing. After the gentle application of some elbow grease, the mic shines like a chrome lollipop.

Now that I've dished up a big plate of self-serving tripe, on to the real review. I'll keep it short, unlike the rest of this dissertation.

Needless to say, the microphone sounds better than new. I'd buy at least three more of these kits if I could find them.

VA3PUX Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2014 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Heil Retrofit kit with the 5.1 element from DX Engineering last week.
It arrived in a few days and was very easy to install in a TUG-8 D104.

I removed the amplifier from the base and wired the microphone to my Flex 3000.
The default transmit profile did not sound very good but PowerSDR ships with a
Heil 4/5 profile and it sounds fantastic. Nice to see the D104 back in service
with a modern radio.

Be aware that the element has a polarity to it and needs to be wired as such.

Great product and a quick call to Heil answered all my questions.

I would buy this product again without question.

K9RJ Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2011 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent upgrade  Time owned: more than 12 months
I updated my D-104 that I have been using on my Collins KWM-380. Sounds great. I can also add the transformer and use it on the KWM-2A. D-104 looks like a real mic.
Harris K9RJ

W4RKS Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2011 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Works as expected.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Easy to install in my old D-104 head. Looks like a D-104, works like a Heil HC5. Good reports on my low impedance K3.

WB4LFC Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2009 07:31 Send this review to a friend
I had to do this.....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had RFI in my signal with my D-104 conversion.
I grounded the shield to the mic connector and to the mic stand and that cleared it up.
I get compliments with mine used on my TS-2000.

N7ZM Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2009 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Easy and Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Coverted an old D-104 50K impedance to a Heil HC-5 low impedance microphone with the Heil HC-104 conversion kit. You do have to bypass the one transistor active impedance built in circuit. If you have any questions just ask. Works great on my Yaesu FT-2000D.
73 Ron N7ZM