Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Precision Collins Services Help

Reviews Summary for Precision Collins Services
Reviews: 30 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $90 Per Hour
Description: Repair and alignment of Collins Radio tube-type equipment.
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Precision Collins Services.

W8QW Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2019 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Steve restored my KWM-2A and did a fantastic job. He took my rig which was operationally marginal at best and literally brought it back to life. His service was quick, efficient and cost effective. As well, he not only provided me with an upfront estimate of the anticipated costs, but continued to keep me informed as to progress. In short, I cannot recommend him more highly to anyone with a technical need.

K0VN Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2019 03:42 Send this review to a friend
Professional S Line Restoration  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had Steve restore a KWM2-A, 30L-1 and 516F-2 this past year for me. The equipment now works and looks great. He can handle any S Line need you may have. The work was done in a timely manner and at a fair price. I will not hesitate to use Steve again for any of my S Line needs. PS he's a nice guy and easy to work with.

WB6SVM Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2018 04:28 Send this review to a friend
High quality/fair value S-Line repair and alignment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I searched for an experienced Collins repair facility. I came upon Steve (N6HK) owner of Precision Collins Services. I entrusted him with a 51-S1, 2 75-S3Bs, a 32-S3, and a 516-F2 power supply. All were somewhat working, but all needed capacitor replacement and alignment. The 51-S1 did not work on CW or SSB. Steve methodically cleaned, tested and restored/repaired each unit. He tests and "burns in" each unit. They are now at or better than factory spec. He is truly a master of Collins repair and a treasure to our hobby. I will use him again in the future, and recommend him without hesitation! Thanks Steve!

KT5T Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2018 02:58 Send this review to a friend
My Collins 30l-1 would continually blow the fuses.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Steve is a pleasure to deal with. His repair estimate was spot on what it cost to repair. His price is fair considering his expertise in Collins Equipment.
He diagnosed my 30l-1 amp. problem and repaired it promptly.
Steve gave his repair a final burn in review and had to repair another problem that surfaced.

I can”t tell you how much I appreciate him catching the problem before he shipped it back. Shipping is $100.00 each way.

K5YHX Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2018 00:35 Send this review to a friend
Kwm-2a no output on 20 meters  Time owned: more than 12 months
Steve is great. Telephone trouble shooting. Super friendly, great to deal with. Very knowledgeable, very thorough, does great work. Radio completely checked out, repaired and aligned. PTO is 12:00 dead on frequency. I will use steve again and I would recommend him to anyone needing Collins S line service.
I rated steve a 5 because of his attention to detail, his fast turn around and his great work.
Mason

K0VN Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2018 19:20 Send this review to a friend
S/Line Overhaul  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had Steve refurbish an S/Line, 75S-3B, 32S-3, 30L-1, 516F-2 and 312B-4 that had been in storage for 35years. Steve was able to give me accurate estimates. More importantly his expertise and skill with Collins gear was impressive and useful throughout the restoration process. I would not hesitate to have Steve handle any Collins issues large or small in the future.

WA9TDQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2017 09:54 Send this review to a friend
KWM-2A Repair  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I cannot recommend Precision Collins Services highly enough! I recently purchased a KWM-2A along with the power supply and station console. I had the equipment shipped directly to Steve. Within a few days of him receiving the equipment, Steve provided me his preliminary assessment of my equipment and an estimate for the repair of all equipment. Throughout the process, Steve kept me updated on where he was in the project. The final invoice was spot-on with his estimates and the equipment was beautifully wrapped so that there would be no damage in transit. Steve is a pro and I recommend Precision Collins Services as my first choice for Collins equipment repair!
WA9TDQ

WB6FQZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2017 08:42 Send this review to a friend
RECOMMENED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my KWM-2 back from Steve after a very extensive overhaul. He knows Collins gear inside and out and his rates are very reasonable. I highly recommend him.

AC5J Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2017 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 51S-1 service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I inherited a 51S-1 coming from the Dallas factory, which needed capacitor change-out, alignment, and general TLC (bad tube, lubrication etc.). Steve did a fine job of getting the work done quickly. I appreciated having an up-front cost estimate. I promptly got it back and an early trial showed smoke signals from a 1K resistor in the V2b screen grid circuit! I called Steve and he cleared the decks to fix the problem. Turns out it was a stray metal whisker in the bandswitch, probably came adrift from the switch during the years of use. That whisker put some grey hairs on us both! It is on as I write this. I recommend Steve to anyone with a receiver needing some TLC. He will move mountains to give caring service.

KD6NOT Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2017 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service on recent Collins 51S-1F repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Recently I contacted Steve at Precision Collins to arrange for a repair of my 51S-1F receiver. The excellent customer service started with Steve providing information on how to best package the unit for shipment. The excellent service continued with Steve alerting me when the shipment was received, the condition, and his initial inspection observations. This was followed shortly thereafter with an initial checkout and refined estimate to repair. Steve continued to stay in close contact during the troubleshooting, and although the problem presented a particular challenge that took additional time, Steve honored the original estimate. In addition, when selected parts were either not available or difficult to secure, Steve explained my options prior to initiating repair. My overall experience was extremely positive, with Steve following up a few weeks after returning the repaired unit to ensure the radio performed up to my expectations. I would not hesitate to recommend Precision Collins Services for anyone looking to repair a Collins radio.