Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | Dentron Super Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Super Tuner
Dentron Super Tuner Reviews: 37 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$125-$175 used
Description: 160-10AT 1KW Tuner. Heavy duty tuner will couple a 160-10m transmitter to
almost any type of antenna system. Includes a highly efficient balun for
antennas feed with open wire line. Will work with coax as well as open feed line.
No SWR/PWR meter.

You can write your own review of the Dentron Super Tuner.

WB8ICU Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2019 18:33 Send this review to a friend
best ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the dentron super tuner for about 5 years, and it has never failed me. I use it at home on my 80-40 loaded dipole (dave tadlock), mostly because of the 80 meter portion, which just doesn't work as well. (cw only here). I also use it at field day nearly every year. Only nit pick I can find is the dial settings. I have to use 5+ or2-, because swr always falls between 2 numbers. Small price to pay for a cost effective really great tuner.

W4IV Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2018 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Simple but effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found the acrylic tuning capacitor mounts were shattered like so many others have found.
It's a good thing the seller had removed the knobs, as the capacitors were flopping around inside the case, yet the nylon shafts were unbroken.
I fabricated new mounts using two pieces each of 2" wide by 7" long 1/4" plexiglass I had lying around. I did move the front mount hole forward by 5/16" to allow the tuning shaft's to stick through the face of the tuner. Now the knobs have a good amount of shaft to grip. The two plexiglass pieces were sanded lightly and super glued together.
I didn't countersink the screws, I drilled 5/16" holes in each piece at the proper location and used the original screws.
The tuner work's great!
Email me if you want pictures of my mounts.
It's just a box with a tapped coil, rotary switch, and two capacitors but isn't that all you need. I have given it 1kw so far with no problem.
It doesn't use a roller inductor, so no need to worry about keeping that clean/aligned.
This tuner will tune almost anything, and probably outlast me!
W4IV

SWLCHRIS Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2018 04:55 Send this review to a friend
revised review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to correct my review to a fantastic item for a shack.I can travel a large part of the band without having to retune using this Dentron. I couldn't do that before with the MFJ 904H. It was about 1\10 the size of the Dentron and the capacitors and inductor were tiny compared to this.
This tuner is huge compared to my old one.It does take up a lot of real estate on the desk but I know I can go anywhere on the bands without having to retune every 30 khz.
Hooked up to a Daiwa NS660PA meter shows it's real worth. I can now see what I was missing out on.Buy cheap get cheap. This tuner was built to last.

KF4MKP Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2018 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Nothing like it  Time owned: more than 12 months
A good friend found this tuner for me on eBay for less than 75 dollars after I got a new AL811H and was looking for a good used tuner. His recommendation to go with the Dentron has been one of the best ham gear decisions I've made.

I use a Daiwa CN-101L SWR-Wattmeter along with this tuner. When I first got the tuner, I had intermittent results and after troubleshooting found a short in one of the coax connectors, after replacing it the tuner was again "like new" and it has been fantastic ever since. I have never had an issue getting a match using my Hexbeam, EFHW, G5RV, or other antenna.

Actually, instead of "if you can find one", I'll just say that it's worth it if you "go looking for one"! It really is built like a tank, they are heavy duty and mine has never let me down. This is one piece of ham gear that I'll NEVER sell, it's just worth too much! I'm always looking for Dentron tuners when I go to hamfests because I'd love to have another one.

KF6WND Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2017 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna on ebay about a year ago. After getting it I discovered one of the capacitor plastic stand-off rails was broken so that the capacitor was loose. I cut four pieces of oak wood the same size as the rails and epoxied them on each side of the rails and to the bottom chassis plate. The tuner is now physically solid and works very well on my rebuilt Dentron GLA-1000 amplifier.

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2016 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Great basic tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is much nicer than most of the junk made today. It is rated at 1kW, but I do not know the minimum/maximum impedances it will match. Inside there are 2 hefty variable capacitors that I have never had arc, and a nice tapped inductor with a ceramic switch. There is also a large balun for balanced line or a wire. The SO-239 connectors are also good quality that have the serrations the entire circumference unlike Palstar tuners that use the cheap Chinese ones with only 4 serrations that do not make as good of a mating contact with a PL-259. I've used this tuner on random wire, NVIS, dipole, and G5RV antennas. Things I do not like about the tuner is there is no SWR bridge or meter, the cheap nylon shafts that are press fit to the capacitor shafts dry, crack, and loosen and the design of the shaft requires machining a custom coupling. Also the plastic insulator that Dentron used to mount the capacitors fails over time and cracks and breaks requiring making new ones out of G10 which Dentron was too cheap to use in the first place. As far as rated for 1kW and being able to handle it? I run 500w CW on it and I'm surprised being this small it handles it. PEP it may do 1kW, but I'll stay with my larger tuners when I run that much power.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Best ever.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used a Dentron Super Tuner as a Novice in 1988. Without getting into all sorts of technical stuff about impedance matching, etc, I'll just say I am very pleased with the unit. One of the best things about it is the fact you can run balanced line into it.

KB9EZL Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2015 02:39 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found this tuner on Ebay and it has some age on it but works great! I went ahead and removed the case
to be sure things were right in it and to check the large variable capacitors out. The insides looked
like it was brandnew! This tuner is well built and heavy duty. Years ago I had a Murch 2000 and it had a
roller inductor that kept getting intermittent. When it was working I checked it seemed to give me a
loss in receiver reception. I went ahead and cleaned the roller inductor up and sent it down the road.
The roller inductor tuners do not impress me and since then have shied away from them and will stay with
a switched inductor construction. The Dentron is well built and heavy so that tells you that it has some
quality in it. I got mine for $85.00 and after researching it didn't blink about the putting a bid on it
lower than the asking price. The fella replied immediately on my price instead of his asking price of
$100.00. I considered it a real good buy. Just one of the large variable capacitors is almost worth the
entire price of the tuner!

N0TQQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2014 07:47 Send this review to a friend
High Grade Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
These tuners have the tapped inductor, which I prefer over the roller inductor. Very well built, 1000 watt output, without all the bells and whistles. I set a meter on top and away I go! I also own the Super Super tuner, which is 1500 watt output.
The tuning capacitors have fiberglass shafts and are easily broken in shipping, but can be easily repaired.

W1PDG Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2014 13:36 Send this review to a friend
A++ tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
They don't make them like this anymore. Matched up with my Array Solutions power master II power/ swr meter you could not ask for a better tuning combo for anything under 1000 watts. 1:1 match on 80 -10 into a 80 windom. Can match 160 with but will wait until I have an antenna capable of handling 160 before I use it for that. If you can find one of these in good condition $150 is a steal compared to the manual tuners sold today.