Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | Dentron Super Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Super Tuner
Dentron Super Tuner Reviews: 37 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$125-$175 used
Description: 160-10AT 1KW Tuner. Heavy duty tuner will couple a 160-10m transmitter to
almost any type of antenna system. Includes a highly efficient balun for
antennas feed with open wire line. Will work with coax as well as open feed line.
No SWR/PWR meter.

You can write your own review of the Dentron Super Tuner.

WB5TKA Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Finally Really Putting it to Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new back in the late 70's. I kept it in line with various antennas but mostly to help insure a low SWR for the transmitter. With moving to a modern solid state rig with no-tune transmitter, I did not use it much.

Recently I have put it back into service to allow matching to my Butternut HF9V which is tuned to about 3,800 to tune down to the CW and digital portions of the band. It presents a 1:1 SWR to the transmitter.

I discovered a looseness in the transmitter loading control and when I took it apart I discovered that the clear plastic standoff on which the capacitors are mounted has cracked. A little JB Weld to reattach the pieces fixed that problem.

With the reviews I've been reading on the tuner and the fact that it seems harder to come by now, I wish I had bought several of them when I bought mine. :-)

Dan, WB5TKA.

VE1FG Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2012 06:40 Send this review to a friend
great tunner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got this one second hand from another ham use it with a sb-200 on a cw-80 windom ant cant say enough about it it loads perfect and tunes great on all bands from 1.8 -30 mhz great find if you see one dont pass it by if it works like mine u wont be dissipointed 73 mike in canada ve1-fg. ps i rate it at a 5 out of 5.

KI4LUY Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 15:47 Send this review to a friend
nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought my tuner at the "HAMFEST In The WOODS" In florida, The person said It was His Dad"s and work's perfect;He wanted 80 and could not go any lower, so I walked ;he then said 70$ and I turned around and took another look; It had a tape mark on the face so I passed on the deal[ I told my good friend that had just purchased a heathkit 201 from Him said " give me 60 dollars" and went and got It for me for the 60 bucks! wow that thing weigh's around 15 lbs. I get It Home and plug It up to my IC.7000 and nothing the recive went dead! so I spin the Inductor Knob still nothing,At that point I open the tuner up Half expecting to find a large brick,because It was so Heavy and both air cap's showed a short,I called My friend Bob AF4JS and he walked me thru the repair! It Turned Out Some Yahoo replaced the screws that hold down the cap's with longer screws so they were touching the bottom of the top xcrews causeng a direct short! So With the help of AF4JS,It is now tuneing my 75 meter dipole behind my drake l4b any were I go. what a tuner, Iv'e Had the heath 2040 and Yes the gears do slip, And my mfj989c caught fire ! who sells tuners rated at Input power? then again It was a Henry 2kd with 1300 R.M.S to be fair,I like this tuner much more then my palstar 2 k,I dont like roller Inductor tuners the coil Inductor is much nicer to me. anyway If you see a guy with a beer gut a red ford with sunglasses and a rented young boy, dont trust the s.o.b. He Is a crook, but I got a deal with a easy fix thanks to mark w4jly and bob af4js! the tune Is built like a 1969 caddy hardtop great deal great tuner and great friends, Man I Love this hobby, 73 de KI4LUY

W1ASY Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2011 16:50 Send this review to a friend
GREAT TUNER !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought the Super Tuner at a ham flea market about a year ago.. Payed 60 bucks for it.. When I took it apart I found that the the insulator under the antenna matching tuning capacitor was shattered and the shaft coupling for both capacitor was slipping..Went into the junk box found parts and fix the problems..Very easy to work on and very rugged...Using it for my 160 meter closed loop with great success...If I run across another Super Tuner at a flea market I will but it..All I can say is is a GREAT TUNER !!!

KJ7YY Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2011 17:58 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine since the late 70's? Can't be sure because it has been around forever. Still works good as new. Now being used to tune my 160 meter dipole for 80, 40, and 15 meters. I have a log of settings for best swr and they never change, dial and go.

N2XNB Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2011 15:48 Send this review to a friend
easier then my heathkit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well I hate to admit it but I like this dentron super tuner better then my heathkit 2040. Let me explain that. The dentron is very simple with no plastic meshing gears like my heathkit for the counter. Basically cause it doesnt have one. The heathkit always would slip numbers. well This dentron is simple and tunes very easy my wire antennas and my 1000 foot loop. The only drawback to speak of for me is the tuner only handles 1000 pep ( which is amp output of around 700 actual watts. Not that big a deal as I am running an icom 718 with a ameritron 811h with the dentron super tuner and all works better then expected for a small foot printed tuner. Tuner is the same size wide as the icom 718!
bought if off ebay for 135 shipped
thanks shaun

N3TU Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2011 18:44 Send this review to a friend
A Work Horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner at a hamfest a few years back. Ran my Drake L4B for three years on it and now I run an AL-82 amp with it. The one in the picture is different than my Super Tuner. Mine is bigger and the size of a microwave oven. I use it on my G5RV, Inverted L and my Imax 2000 antennas. Don't pass this baby up if you can get a hold of one.

N7KME Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2011 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one up off EBay and noticed that it wouldn't tune above 40 meters, so I opened it up and found that the 12 position inductance switch was burned. found a rotary switch on line that was an exact match, replaced the switch and BINGO! The Super Tuner lives and breathes once again. Once a frequency is tuned, it never varies. I love this tuner, and use it with my SB-200 Heathkit amp and my Icom 751A. Makes for a great station, I love it.

ZL4VT Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2011 13:38 Send this review to a friend
as you see  Time owned: months
there is not much to add,
i got my one 2 weeks ago and it is great, tunes everything and i like the solid outfit.

KE7OPK Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2011 12:09 Send this review to a friend
EASY TO USE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
BUILT LIKE A TANK! Bought one on ebay in excellent condition for about $100 after reading the reviews. Much easier to use than the MFJ 962D, which it replaced. Too bad they don't make these anymore. Buy one of you can find one, it will definitely do the job for you. Since I use the SWR meter on my SB-200, and a like-new Heath RF power meter was only $35, I have no complaint that there are no meter movements. You could do tuning "by ear" using background noise level as a reference. I will be keeping this until I am SK!