Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair Help

Reviews Summary for N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair
N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair Reviews: 211 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $65.00 per hour/ rated
Description: Radio and amplifier repair. Specializing in Yaesu FL-7000 Amplifier Repair and/or Modifications
More info: http://n4ats.com/

You can write your own review of the N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair.

KC5MZA Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2019 18:53 Send this review to a friend
IC703  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A good friend recommended Bill for repairs on a seconds IC 703 in need of alignment. Folks , I can't say enough for the quality work and turn around time that I received. You won't be disappointed with the cost either. Radio works like a charm !

KM4TM Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2019 22:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Helpful With THP Amplifier Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
Contacted Bill via e-mail after experiencing an issue with my Tokyo Hy-Power HL2.5KFX solid state amplifier. He responded quickly and immediately called my attention to the frequency detect circuit board and small mini RF coax connector thereon. As it turned out, that little connector had pulled loose from the board. After simply re-connecting it, my problem was solved. Without Bill's help, I NEVER would have found this loose connector, as it was buried beneath other wiring and stuff. Bill could have handled this differently, costing me plenty. I cannot guarantee that your issue will be this painless to fix, but I certainly can recommend that you contact Bill - N4ATS!!

K3SV Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2019 18:12 Send this review to a friend
FT-1000D Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sent an email to Bill about my FT-1000 giving me a problem in the TX/Amp relay. Arranged to drop at his location at some point. Finally made it over to his place with the radio. Very clean shop and easy in/out for drop-off. Just make sure you make arrangements if dropping off. Fixed the radio in a couple of days. Nice work and reasonable price. Much better than shipping, that old rig is HEAVY.
73 Bill K3SV

NN4U Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2018 03:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, knowledgeable support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After retiring/returning to Amateur Radio following a 32-year absence, I learned that my Yaesu 757gx was DOA. Some research led me to the doorstep of Bill Grassa, N4ATS. The short version: Bill bench-tested the 757 at no charge and provided timely and accurate advice to include selecting an alternate radio and a proper microphone with matching dynamic range, and even got on the phone with me to help set the software menu options for various filters and settings for the Kenwood TS-870s. The result - I have consistently received excellent RST reports and in some cases, surprise at learning I am only using a dipole and transmitting "barefoot" at 100 watts. I credit all of this to Bill's knowledge and willingness to share. I will be returning to Bill for an amplifier when the time comes.

KZ5Z Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2018 01:50 Send this review to a friend
AL 80B repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some time ago I damaged my AL80B while attempting to set up the Ameritron QSK adapter with a Ten Tec transceiver. I read some of the reviews here in eHam and decided to send the amp off to Bill for repair. Bill agreed to do the work and started as soon as he received the amp. Although the amp had several issues Bill quickly located all of them and had everything completed in less than a week. Turn around time was very fast and the amp works as good as it did when I got it 22 years ago. I expected good service after reading all the good reviews but the speed and quality of service and the fair and reasonable price exceeded my expectations. If you prefer to have your amp worked on by an expert, I highly recommend N4ATS.

KD5ZSX Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2018 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Replacement for 2SC3133  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bill is a tremendous knowledge base and is always ready and willing to helping us hams. Recently I was trying to get a 950SDX transmit working and he truly bailed me out. I had purchased some 2SC1945 transistors to replace the 2SC3133 drivers which are no longer available anywhere. When I installed the 2 new transistors, there was no output at all. Bill responded to my eham forum listing telling me that there are many counterfeit transistors. I had been checking transistors using the diode setting on my DMM and while that will find an open/short....I certainly learned it doesn't detect counterfeit transistors. Bill recommended getting a Peak Atlas DCA55 transistor tester which I did and quickly found that the transistors I had received marked Mitsubishi 2SC1945 were not that at all....have no idea what they are but using the DCA55 I learned the emitter and collector were reversed on the transistors I had received. Thanks Bill for being a lifesaver!!!

KB0UXV Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2018 02:58 Send this review to a friend
Great service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running a FL7000 amp which has been going strong 10 years after Bill updated the unit, and was paired with a TS590. I recently picked up a FT991A and purchased a custom band data/ALC cable from a seller in Italy on Ebay. The radio did not work with those cables, Bill and Tom helped me figure out that I needed to set menu 141(tuner) to LAMP (Linear AMP). The help was spot on and prompt. I learned that Tom makes custom band data cables for the FL7000, had I known this I would have ordered from the master instead of Ebay. You won't be disappointed with service from these fine folks.

K6ZB Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2018 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Fast, competent and reasonable in price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can vouch for Bill, N4ATS, as an extremely competent and superior repair expert. He fixed my THP HL-1L fx in less than a week for a very reasonable price. He communicates very well, too.

K5TH Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2018 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu FT-817 Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Years ago I made the mistake of packing my FT-817 in my suitcase when I went on a flight. The baggage gorillas damaged both of the rotary encoders after the bag had been opened and repacked by the security folks at the airport. I put up with the damage for way too many years and finally decided that it was time to get the neat little radio repaired. I researched a number of repair services here and Bill (N4ATS) had excellent reviews, so I contacted him and sent my radio to him for repair. It arrived back home safely today and I am happy to say that it works like new again. I had considered buying a new FT-818, but decided that it would be foolish to spend that much when my radio worked like new except for the tuning issues. Bill saved me about $600 and no need to explain to the XYL why I wanted to buy a new radio!

Thanks Bill!

KX4DX Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2018 21:53 Send this review to a friend
Commander VHF-1200 repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my Commander VHF-1200 in for repair of what appeared to be a power supply problem. It turned out that the amplifier was working perfectly and it was discovered that there was a supply voltage problem which was then traced to a faulty circuit breaker at my home, something that I should have checked before sending unit to Bill!
Bill provided excellent communication before, during and after his evaluation and returned unit expeditiously in a custom-made shipping container.
Excellent service!!!