Reviews Categories | Tower and Antenna Installers | Don Daso, K4ZA Help

Reviews Summary for Don Daso, K4ZA
Don Daso, K4ZA Reviews: 158 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Within Reason
Description: Tower Works: That title says it all—if you need tower work done, from installation to repair, I can probably help you! With 53 years of ham radio experience, I’ve worked on most every size & make of tower/beam, & specialize in Rohn guyed-towers (25, 45, 55G, etc.). Have a solid mechanical & engineering background (NCJ contributing editor), along with all the necessary skills & tools to install, take down, or repair your system, whether it’s 20 or 200-feet high. Reasonable rates, good reviews, & ability to travel.

k4za@juno.com 704 408 7948

More info: http://www.k4za.com

You can write your own review of the Don Daso, K4ZA.

WX8C Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2019 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Successful Tower/Antenna Installation!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A year or so ago, I decided to put up a sizeable Optibeam 17-4 yagi on a self-supporting 90 foot tower in rural Missouri. I contacted Don for the project which he accepted. Not only did he sign up for the project but he also provided some contacts and I was able to purchase used, the tower, yagi and rotator in good condition, at a good price. The tower is an AN Wireless HD90 and the rotator is a Prosistel 71D. Don provided a lot of guidance to my brother-in-law and me over the course of a number of months as we put in the foundation and assembled the tower and yagi. Don arrived in early July 2019 and with the help of a skillful local crane operator and a small local ground crew, Don had everything up in the air and fully functional in a day and a half. In addition to the big multi-band yagi the installation included an Optibeam 6-6 meter yagi at the top and an 80 meter dipole on a stand-off just below the top of the tower. The tower was up in 45 minutes. The yagis took a bit longer but Don used his patented “flying forklift” from a man basket and completed a very professional installation despite the sweltering heat.
Finally, Don directly and through his book provided a wealth of information that was very useful at every stage of the project.
If you have a basic or a difficult tower/antenna project, Don is your man.

W4FZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2018 16:16 Send this review to a friend
Antenna Replacement  Time owned: more than 12 months
Called Don as I wanted to swap out my existing Force12 mono-banders with a Steppir DB42. Don agreed to perform the work. He arrived as scheduled and I was a little surprised that he wanted to do the swap alone. The largest Force12 mono-bander was a MAG620/340 which had a 47 foot boom and weighed around 260 lbs. But Don with his flying forklift make the job appear effortless. He also removed a Force12 4BA which was at the 80 foot level. Again Don performed this task with very little effort.

The Steppir DB42 which is no small antenna itself was placed as desired .. again with absolutely no problem.

During this entire project, I found that Don was totally professional and courteous. I'm totally pleased with his work and would not hesitate to call him again.

In fact, a few weeks later when some strong winds passed through from a dying hurricane the Steppir rotated on it's own due to rotator slippage. I called Don again and he offered several suggestions to resolve this anomaly. Ended up with replacing the rotator clamp on my Big Boy PST71D with one of K7NV's replacement clamps. Again Don arrived on schedule, climbed my tower, lifted the mast and Steppir, and replaced the clamp. Only took a few hours.

Don's work on this was again excellent. Highly recommended.

K8IA Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2018 02:10 Send this review to a friend
Rotating sidearm mount design for Trylon tower  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don and I have known each other since the early 60's. I've always respected his knowledge and judgement.

I had an interesting problem in coming up with a suitable design to take my JA fixed 5el15m yagi and make it so we could rotate it to EU as well, 325 degrees thru North to about 35 degrees. Being a Trylon (angle members) tower made this more of a challenge than a tower with tubing legs (Rohn etc).

Don, came up with a slick design and some needed clamps too. Our work crew here (KC7V, N7GP, KF7U and I) installed it two weeks ago and all is working well. TNX Don!

73, Bob K8IA
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

N4GGC Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2018 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Tower Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I asked Don to come up and correct a few problems on my tower. He did a great job. He made several recommendations about other things that I should do in the future and I plan to take his advice. Don is a great guy and a real expert on amateur radio towers and antenna systems. After he got off the tower we had a little time to talk. I wish we had more time to visit. He is an interesting person. I highly recommend him and will call on him again.

K4DGJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2018 19:01 Send this review to a friend
tower repair.new antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I cannot begin to recommend Don Daso and Tower Works highly enough! He saved my 50 ft Rohm 25 G tower from collapse after I found the base rusted out. The tower had not been taken care of by me and largely ignored. After Don Daso repaired the base, I asked him for advice on a new antenna as well. Following his suggestion, a new J and K Antennas Navassa 6 band yagi (including 6 meters)now stands beside my QTH. I am very pleased with the completed project! Don is very, very professional in his work, and his advice is sound from 50 + years of experience. The charges were extremely fair. I am very thankful to Don for pulling an old retired doctor and surgeon through a master operation! Do not make a mistake, call Tower Works for all of your antenna and tower projects.
Sam Hawes M.D. K4DGJ

W1PDI Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2018 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My feedback on my recent tower and Yagi installation are not much different than most of the feedback here regarding the perfection and professionalism of Don Daso and his co-worker, Joe Barkley. I couldn’t be happier with the end results – and the process leading up to the actual installation. The added value of this 2-day tower project was the pleasure my wife and I had spending time with Don and Joe, during the install and after getting to know them both better.

I started researching and planning this tower project this past January and quickly found that I could not find anyone to handle the tower installation. These guys are few and far between. So I made a posting on Tower Talk trying to find tower installers. Thankfully Don responded ironically after I had just read his book, “Antenna Towers for Radio Amateur” published by the ARRL. When he mentioned he was in Charlotte (and I’m in the Cleveland area) I anticipated the expense of hiring Don would be way out of my budget.

For several months I sent Don many text messages asking questions ranging from anything to everything about towers and Yagi’s. I knew nothing about putting up a tower. Don was great. He took the time to answer all of my questions and when I asked for suggestions on all the parts and pieces I needed, he was extremely helpful.

The long and short of it was that it was a great experience from the planning process right through to project completion. The end result being Don and Joe provided exceeded my expectations, an acceptable cost and the chance of meeting a couple of great guys. They know what they are doing!

After all, Don wrote the book.

I am more than willing to provide more detail on this product.

BTW, I plan on asking Don to come back next year to inspect the tower (his suggestion) and possibly take it up another 10 feet.

AE8I Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2018 21:12 Send this review to a friend
A True Professional  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I contacted Don Daso, K4ZA, after reading his fine book “Antenna Towers for Radio Amateurs” and I’m very glad I did. Although I had a reasonable amount of experience with various facets of Amateur Radio, erecting a substantial tower was not on my resume. Rather than leave an expensive and potentially dangerous project to chance with me and a few friends, I thought it wise to bring in a professional.

I decided on the tower that best met my needs (Rohn 60 ft. fold-over) and then contacted Don to gauge his interest and availability. His quick reply to my e-mail spoke well of his sincere interest, as did his obvious willingness to work with me once I described the project in some detail. Over the next few months, I consulted with Don on several occasions as I prepared for the build. His direction as to where to purchase the tower and other parts and pieces were very helpful hints that likely saved me significant money. He collaborated with me during that time to set up a work schedule which was sensitive to my needs.

When it came time for the base construction, Don arrived on time, just as promised, supervised the build expertly, and the large base turned out very well. Don returned about 60 days later to supervise the erection of the tower, which went very safely and smoothly. The tower is now in service and works well.

A very pleasant surprise was the lively conversation Don and I had as we worked through the build. This made our work time that much enjoyable and productive.

For the expertise loaned me, the advice given, the distances traveled and the work encountered, Don’s rates were extremely reasonable. I found working with Don a thoroughly enjoyable experience and would recommend him to anybody that needs assistance with tower/antenna erection from modest to immense – he’s a true professional.

K1IZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2017 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Honestly, I can say that a 5 is understated. If I could give him 10, I would surely do it. The job was to replace a failed rotator which had been installed upside down by a cable TV dish installer (my bad for picking him in the first place) Don drove 200 miles to my QTH installed the new rotator and then drove home the same day. Don will be my antenna go-to guy for all time

W7SW Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2017 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Don was very helpful  Time owned: months
Don K4ZA generously volunteered very helpful information to me which made the tower project I am working on much much easier. This guy is great and certainly deserves a 5 out of 5 rating. I highly recommend that you consider hiring Don to help with your tower and antenna projects.

AC8LJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2017 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Thanks Don!!  Time owned: months
Don is incredible! Professional, patient, focused, and importantly, flexible: he revised his busy schedule to help my father (NI4E), me, and family remove a 35+ year old 25G. Several problems surfaced, not the least of which involved a couple of stubborn sections that just would not budge. Though the day was one of the hottest this season, we were all so impressed with how Don remained cool and collected throughout -- pulling from a wealth of knowledge to creatively solve each obstacle with the kind of expertise that only comes from someone who has done this work for a very long time. We were in good hands, to be sure. And I'm so glad that my brothers and I didn’t do this work unattended (which was one of the original plans, hi hi)! Thanks Don - you saved the day!