Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Yaesu ATAS-120A Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu ATAS-120A
Yaesu ATAS-120A Reviews: 117 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $369.00
Description: The ATAS-120A is the upgraded, more weather resistant version of the ATAS-120. Leave comments only on the ATAS-120 "A"!

You can write your own review of the Yaesu ATAS-120A.

SO5BCT Rating: 4/5 Apr 20, 2019 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna but not excellent.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
ATAS 120A - good antenna for working on 40-6m bands. Mine ATAS is working with FT-891. While driving, you can hear the air and hear the noise in the back of the car. The antenna sticks to the handle but you must calmly drive the car. During tuning, the antenna can be blocked unfortunately. You must turn off the radio and turn it on again. I try not to use this antenna during rain. I recommend this antenna for mobiles and camping and as a portable antenna for HF bands.

VK4FEEL Rating: 3/5 Jan 20, 2019 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Great but not sturdy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had this antenna mounted on the Bullbar of
my 4x4 although I donít do any extreme 4x4 driving the roads here in Australia are pretty rough in some areas. Have had the antenna installed for 12 months love the ease of operation performance on the air was great but due to our adverse road conditions here and the vibration through the bullbar the antenna has just shaken to pieces. So if you are just going to mount on a car that drives on good roads you canít go pay the this antenna, down side for a $500.00 antenna itís sturdiness leaves a lot to be desired.

K7ER Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2018 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Installation  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna works great 857D no problem. I have just bout a FT891 and I am sure it will work great as well. I believe the believe the BAD reviews are due to installation. You really should look into ground bonding. This antenna relies on a good ground. If you install this antenna on a K400 mount you need to run some ground braid from the mount by the antenna connection to the hatch then from the hatch to the body of the car. Also from doors to chassie and hood to chassie. This makes all the difference. My install is on a Subaru Forester but this advise would apply to any mobile install. BOND to the chassie. I been very secussful with this antenna. 73 to all!
Jerry de K7ER

AF5BG Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2018 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu ATAS-120a as a base station antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Impression after making 1000 contacts in my first 35 days of use.

It's good enough to make 1000 contacts in 35 days.

This is particularly impressive since I have it on a mag mount on top of my metal 3 car garage, which of course provides a lot of metal under the antenna, which seems to be necessary for good performance.
Rig used is a Yaesu FT-857D with a Diamond MX-62M Duplexer.
Most contacts were FT8 or PSK31 plus a few really good rag chews on HF SSB and 2m/70cm FM. Bands used so far are 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 2m and 70cm.

Some notable contacts:

Longest confirmed contact:
9879 miles, Indonesia

Other interesting contacts (in no particular order):

KING SE-JONG Antarctic Scientific Base
Azores, Iceland, South Africa, European and Asiatic Russia
107 QSOs to Europe
41 QSOs to Asia (30 to Japan)
270 total international contacts to 60 countries

The antenna has suppressed my every expectation. Not only has it performed superbly on HF but also on local 2m and 70cm repeaters. The whole trick to successfully using this antenna is to get plenty of metal under it and provide a solid ground. I have only used it a little over a month, but right now my review is 5/5.

KH6ITY Rating: 1/5 Aug 8, 2018 04:23 Send this review to a friend
A true POS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was soooo pleased when I bought it. I no longer has to stop to change bands. Well, that only lasted A FEW months and then it quit. Ended up sending it in twice for repair. The first repair lasted one week. The second repair lasted for only one use. When I tuned it for 40 meters it went to the top and then stuck there never to move again. This is the second time Yaesu has cheated me on a product. The first was my 857D where the screen went bad and you couldn't read it. Turned out it was caused by a poor attachment process design which Yaesu corrected later. Problem is they refused to fix mine unless I pay them $250.00 plus shipping both ways. It was their mistake to begin with. NEVER AGAIN WILL I TOUCH A YAESU PRODUCT!

VK2LEE Rating: 0/5 Mar 15, 2018 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Cannot get working correctly  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this antenna for about 6 months along with an FT-857D and although I have only had it on the car about 3 times, I cannot get the antenna to tune on 40 meters using the auto tune. It is mounted on My bonnet and I have used braid to earth out the bonnet and base of antenna. I will admit I have not checked out the earth with a multimeter, so that is what I will do next. I was going to fit a longer stainless steel whip to the antenna.. I will admit that it has received strong stations on 40m at times. I haven't had a contact on it as it..

K1GUY Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2018 14:41 Send this review to a friend
COMPACT MOBILE ANTENNA WITH A KICK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When i first set-up the 120A with a Yaesu 891, it was difficult to tune. I manually tuned it from the setting in the radio that raises and lowers the antenna. Then, I bonded the hood of my Jeep to the rest of the body and frame. From there on, the Yaesu tuned automatically, and perfectly. Make sure you enable ATAS in the menu. This radio, and antenna are a good match. Contacts are easy into The USA, Europe and RUSSIA ! Even VK land and South Africa, at times. I will continue bonding the exhaust system and parts of the frame, as recommended.

I have both my Yaesu 400 and 891 mounted on LIDO Mounts, which work for me and my warden. A beautiful set-up.

The antenna stands on a diamond mount that was modified to a custom block of aluminum. It then bolts into the roof rack bolt to secure the antenna. High roof mounting is important for any mobile antenna.

The Yaesu 120A compares well to my previous antenna, a Tarheel 75 Stubby, but you have to give up 80m for this antenna. There is plenty of fun ahead for this set-up. It's perfect for me.
Thank you Yaesu !

WA7NTL Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2018 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Non-mobile Evaluation  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I originally purchased this antenna to use with my FT-857D mobile in my pickup. $400due to a property purchase I wound up using it in a recreational trailer with a metal snow roof. This is review is based upon this fixed location. As are retired engineer, I can say that producing a mobile antenna with moving internal components which is exposed to the physical stresses of wind and weather, and be robust enough to provide years of service under $400 would be very challenging design criteria indeed. I have to concur with others that a sound ground is paramount. For mobile operation, the ground must be solid from your antenna mount to the battery. This would require refurbishing the ground straps to the frame. Without such ground integrity, the resulting various impedances will stymie the tuning process. Having a metal snow roof provides a magnificent ground plane. I also have the rig and snow roof connected to a copper ground rod driven into the ground. It loads up on flawlessly on 40 meters through 70cm. Despite the not so good band conditions, I get 5-7 to 5-8 signal reports from Europe. For a portable set up, it's very streamlined and being able to load up on so many bands is a big plus. Once spring gets here, I'll continue with the truck installation and provide a follow up review on my mobile experience.

2M0LDT Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2017 17:50 Send this review to a friend
better than some say  Time owned: more than 12 months
i suspect the poor reviews are due to not having a good enough earth .. ive been through that, thought it was crap, THEN i got a nice chunky earth strap and it works a treat every time.. 1 star knocked off as it would be nice if it did 80M and its kinda expensive
ive owned this for over 2 years and use with an 857, on HF and 6 but uhf / vhf is possible with a duplexer, but i prefer a separate antenna for that.

VK3FOAC Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2017 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Great resonant antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If youíre looking for the magical antenna which will work 100% out of the box, this is not the antenna for you.

If youíre looking for a great auto tuned vertical antenna for 40m - 70cm, and are prepared to get your grounding or counterpoise right, this is for you.

Iíve installed this antenna at my QTH. I have limits on height and size of antennas. It sits on top of a 2 inch mast 4 meters off the ground. Iíve attached counterpoise wires for HF, Cut to 1/4 wavelength and I can not fault the results Iím getting. Itís resonant it gets out well with 10w. I am very happy with what I have now. It is outperforming a 4:1 OCF I had. My issue with the OCF was not enough height.

Contemplating a second one for mobile operation.