Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | JRC NRD-535 Help

Reviews Summary for JRC NRD-535
JRC NRD-535 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1600.00
Description: General Coverage Receiver
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/jrc/jrc_nrd535.htm

You can write your own review of the JRC NRD-535.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2017 11:11 Send this review to a friend
one small problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Still would rate the 535D as overall excellent. But, a small problem to critique is that after spinning the tuning knob a few time and stopping, the knob "slowly" rotates one way or the other without my touching the knob, depending on which way one was tuning, CCW or CW. This "slow" rotation lasts about 3-5 seconds and stops after about 2-3 dial markers. The total actual frequency movement depends on which tuning rate you have set in place. Sounds like a very slow 'scanning' situation but the rig is in VFO tuning, not scanning. HI

So, on other receivers or transceivers you usually have a dial "tension" control for quick tuning with the knob or you can set the 'drag' a tad to create friction. I need to INCREASE the drag on this 535D's VFO knob. SUGGESTIONS appreciated IF this can be done from the inside. NOTHING in the manual on how to do this ... no mention at all. Appreciate any information from those who have had many JRC receivers or an issue like this. The slow rotation for a few seconds without my hand being on the knob is a slight issue with me.. K5YY

VE4NSA Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2017 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful and superb receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased another NRD-535DG,

Excellent performer, high quality built and a pleasure to operate. Prices are coming down for these classic receivers, so pick one up if you can. Unless you are GM1FLQ (prior review) you will actually like it.

GM1FLQ Rating: 3/5 May 20, 2017 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Not great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mechanical quality less than good - the NRD-515 was built like a quality receiver should be and in relation this feels flimsy and cheap.

Usually way overpriced on s/h market.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2017 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality and performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In the past I have had all the NRD 500 series of receivers up thru the 545, at one time had 4 on the listening table. Sold most of my "collection" of these and Collins and Drakes over a 5-7 year period as I got older and listened less. Recently I got a wild hair to have a receiver at the computer's side to 'listen' to and chose a 535D for sale on QTH.com. Excellent/mint condition on arrival and worked perfectly. Took 2 hours to play with it, to critique things and get familiar again with the 535D setup. If you want a wonderful, resilient and modern looking receiver, search for a JRC 535D, even though it is out of production and was made several years ago. Expect to pay about $500-700, a bit less than the 545 model. I am now looking for one of the JRC speakers to match, so email me if you have a spare. Thanks for reading.

RAHOBIT Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2016 03:00 Send this review to a friend
A really wonderful SW radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well thanks for your opinion Bill KB9IV. I wonder why you "picked on" the NRD-535 but anyway let me inform the internet that I, for one, (and I am sure there are SO MANY others) have one in perfect working order. Yes in 2016 the keys are still working perfectly! Amazing - eh Bill. In fact SO much better than for instance my Drake R8B which, by the way, I still adore for its unique characteristics. But to award the NRD-535 a score of 1 on the basis of your prediction of a perceived problem which I for one have not experienced (nor have most others) is rather unfair - don't you think?.
In summary, don't be put off by Bill's rating. This is one amazingly sophisticated (technically) receiver which is easy to operate and you can learn some additional nuances that will really enhance your SWL. Is SWL dead - NO. Quite a few stations have left the bands but that makes it more interesting and somewhat easier to hear the ones who remain!
All the best folks. 73's and good DX.

RAHOBIT Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2016 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Sensitive and a pleasure to operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 535D and the extra features are very useful to my location and experience of SWL. The ECSS works a treat to reduce splatter from an adjacent strong station. The PBT and Notch can be handy. The Bandwidth is very useful on 4Khz. I would prefer an option for 5Khz on the up and down arrows but we get by.

The keypad is robust, reliable and a pleasure to use for direct frequency entry and memories. The MHz key is handy for 5, 6, 10, 12, 15 and other entries. The separate clear key is great.

I mostly run the RF gain the minimum I can (about half way) to reduce fading and distortion but there's plenty of gain if you need more. A reasonable antenna still pulls in plenty of stations.

The display is gorgeous and shows all options selected with the nice digital S meter too.

I do have a Drake R8B which is equally good or sometimes gets a station better, but the 535D is amongst the best and easiest to operate.

KA2SHU Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2012 07:17 Send this review to a friend
This dog can hunt!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This review is for the JRC 535D version which has several options over the stock 535. They are as follows:

CFL-243, CMF-78 and CFL-233 factory installed, CFL-243 Bandwidth Control Option, CMF-78 Exalted Carrier Selectable Sideband (ECSS) circuit. The D model also includes the CFL-233 1000 Hz Filter,needed for RTTY.

What all of these features ultimately amount to is the ability of the SW or MW listener to slice and dice that clouded signal you're trying to capture into readability. This receiver easily does it better than my R-5000 (full filters), Drake R8B, NRD-525, Icom R-75. For all or the MW DX'ers out there, the ECSS locks on the selected sideband as well as or better than the R8B. With the passband function, fantastic notch, variable bandwidth control, you have the ultimate tool to yank that elusive catch out of the mud. With a decent external speaker and a wide bandwidth selection, the AM or SW audio is just fine. In fact, it's excellent.

With great ergonomics, an improved display over the NRD 525, and the usual JRC quality construction, the 525D, represents great value even considering the price premium it will usually command.

WA3YUR Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2010 08:23 Send this review to a friend
One of the Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
My NRD-535D was given to me in return for a favor I did for a fellow ham. I had no idea of the quality of the gear; until I started using it and researched the rig.
After using it heavily for over 5 years, I am totally satisfied with its construction and operation. It has some very advanced features for its time, and has outstanding receive characteristics and very effective filters.
An earlier review spoke of inferior build quality, which I can't quite understand (perhaps his rig had been subjected to a cleaning solution which affected the integrity of the plastics), as I have been inside and outside the NRD-535D extensively, and it is very well constructed.
I recommend this receiver very highly.

DDSRADIO Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2009 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 535D is 16 years old and is in perfect mechanical shape. No problems with the push buttons, or anything else.

The AM-mode audio on narrower bandwidths is a little muddy but I find that's a minor drawback. I have the 535D side-by-side with an FT-950 and I find weak signals are more readable on the 535D than the Yaesu (and I think the FT-950 is a great rig).

Just so you know my set-up: I have the 535D going through a Timewave 599zx and into a Yaesu SP2000. The results are not unpleasant to my ears and if the audio is still a little muddy, a slight tweak of the passband does the trick. I should note, audio is much brighter if you use the LINE OUT and not EXT Speaker.

Sensitivity is good and SSB audio is very pleasant. Ergonomics are intuitive, and about the best I have seen on any receiver (and I have used many others over the years). The bandwidth control, which works not just in SSB but also AM mode, is my favorite feature. (As a sidebar: the FT-950 would be much better for DX if the variable bandwidth also worked in AM mode, sadly, it doesn't.)

I have owned two 535D's and one 545 DSP and found them all to be reliable.

Only drawback: it's getting hard to find accessories etc for the radio but I have found the JRC staff in New York to be very helpful in sourcing parts if needed.

KB9IV Rating: 1/5 Nov 8, 2009 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Watch Out!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The NRD 535D is a Great receiver......no complaints,even better with a Sherwood SE5.

However the 535D and 535Db models mechanically are Terrible. It's living on borrowed time for the plastics on the front panel (namely the kepad)to fail. Why the Keypad? The Cheap plastic that holds the Keytpad bracket will crack
making it useless....it won't glue....only melts the Black Brittle surfaces making things worse.

Be very careful with the right front panel and keypad..........if the Keypad keys move all the way in it's junked.

I do not know about the NRD 545 mechanics but bad habits are hard to BREAK.....pun intended.

Good Luck