Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Yaesu FT-817ND Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-817ND
Yaesu FT-817ND Reviews: 188 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $589.00
Description: The world’s first self-contained, battery-powered, Multi-mode Portable Transceiver covering the HF, VHF, and UHF bands! Despite its incredibly small size (5.3" x 1.5" x 6.5"), the FT-817 delivers big performance! Its next-generagion PA puts out five watts on all HF bands, plus the 50 MHz, 144 MHz, and 430 MHz bands, on all popular operating modes: USB/LSB/CW/AM/FM/Packet/PSK-31/RTTY. Now the 817 legacy is even better with the introduction of the FT-817ND, which includes coverage of the U.S. 60-meter (5 MHz) band, and it also includes a 1400 mAh NiMH Battery pack (FNB-85) and NC-72B Charger!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-817ND.

VE2TH Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2018 00:31 Send this review to a friend
LOVE IT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 18 years of fun and good use of this tiny little transceiver, I think it is the time to make a review of it.

One day I needed money to buy something else, and I sold my FT-817 (non ND model) and I regret it.
After 8 years of loyal services.

So a couple of months after, I bought the ND model, so it has been 10 years now, for a total of 18 years.

It is a great little performer.
If I had to escape suddently, to somewhere and could take one radio, it would be the 817-ND. Because it is my favorite rig hands down.

Camping, backpacking, expéditions, contests, etc.. you can access to whatever you want on any bands, 160/70 centimeter, all modes. Just to have with you the right antenna and support, and Bingo!!!

I worked satellites, ISS, CW/SSB/AM/FM/REPEATERS,weak signal works, all with a ELK 5 ELEMENTS LOG PERIODIC ANTENNA.I can go horizontal or vertical polarization instantly with it.

If I go somewhere, I take with me a list of the repeaters of the area where I go, plus a list of echo link/IRLP nodes of repeaters of interest, and this way I can talk to friends I know in my area, even some who live in apartment and this directly on their computer or radio.-

I have the original microphone, and the DTMF one, believe me, it is very useful.

CW & SSB is a real fun especially on 2 meters, and 6 meters as well.

So a top a small mast I put at the top the ELK antenne 2M/70CM H or V,

Right Under I put a 2 or 3 elements 6 meters beam made of Buddipole parts, and Bingo , I'm ready for any VHF Contest.

On HF, portable operation gives the opportunity to try & experiment different kind of wire antennas, such as Inv Vee, EFHW, Loop, etc... always full size no compromise antennas.

That being said, this is the ultimate go anywhere, do anything transceiver, in terms of flexibility, versatility, and overall performance.

It is a real bargain, big deal, best buy , considering all that it does!!

I always use external battery, after using different size and makes/model of batteries, I now use the K2 BATTERY, MODEL K2B12V10EB From K2BATTERY.COM
It is a Lithium Iron Phosphate, 12.8 volts 9,6 Ah, 122,9 Whr.
And very satisfied with it.- It weight nothing compared to the same size gel cell @ 7 amps.

You want to listen to AM or FM broadcast, Aviation, VHF etc. with the touch of the bandswitch you get and ear what you want.

Think about emergency preparadness, Survival radio,camping, backpacking trips, Sota, Iota, CIsa (CDN Islands).

As accessories, I have the 500 Hz cw filter, it is a must. + the small milestone tech paddle for cw.-

The rig is very easy to travel with.

The menus are not hard to get used to, if you use the rig often, and the manual is very well written, complete, each control, each menu are very well explained. Available originally in English, but you can have it in French, and Spanish, and may be in other languages ??

By the way, I have had no issues in 18 years of intensive use of it.

But I take very good care of it, and always tune any antenna on an analyser before using it on the radio.I always monitor the SWR while transmitting to avoid issues.

Conclusion, Yaesu did a fine job and hats off to those who designed and promoted it.

72/73 Michel VE2TH, always fun QRP

HG0WH Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2018 00:58 Send this review to a friend
Happy that I've made this choice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I decided to go for a HF radio I kept in mind that it should be portable. Well, there were 3 radios on my shortlist: OMEGA+ - an all band QRP radio made in Poland, JNB 200 - a two bander made in Hungary, and the Yaesu FT 817 ND. The two former radios are significantly cheaper, and are also much less known. I spoke with the manufacturers of those radios, but finally I decided for the Yaesu for two reasons. I use endfed wire antennas while I'm out in the nature. So I need the SWR protection, and only Yaesu provides that. And Yaesu has a built in battery.

I am spending about an hour or so QSO-ing at one time. So setting up a mast is not an option for me, I want to be on the air in 5 minutes. I use either a fishing rod fastened to the back wheel of my bicycle, and put a home made EARC 6-40 antenna on it, or I throw a wire-reinforced fishing line onto a tree forming an inverted V antenna. I prefer the latter in the past weeks, since it can be put higher.

I can use this little radio very well with these antennas. I have a ZM-4 tuner that does the job - I need somewhat more time to tune the fishing line antenna, but it is a bit quieter than the other. So I fasten the tuner onto the radio, and it has a short connection to the balun which hangs on it. I put the whole thing in in my neck with the strap of the radio. I prefer standing, because this way I can also influence the transmission by walking this or that way if needed. The speaker's volume is excellent, even when the tuner covers it, I can hear what I want. I must use the lock button to disable the fine tuning knob, because it has contact to my belly and when I move - it tunes. The display illumination can be disabled when outside, and the contrast can be lowered to about 4-5. The only thing that must be repeated for tuning is switching transmission mode to AM and back. This is a couple of button presses, and can be done quickly. This is the only thing I wish that could be simpler. I recommend this radio for anyone who wants a small and smart rig.

KD7WPJ Rating: 2/5 Dec 13, 2017 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Will not buy   Time owned: more than 12 months
My first radio was Yaesu FT-857D. It worked great, and I used it as base station, mobile, SOTA and for DX-peditions. I sent it for Yaesu for repair once under the warranty, and I repaired it one more time by myself. When it was stolen, I replaced it by FT-817ND. I bought it from another HAM, and it was almost new. First I realized that SWR is very high on 40 Meter band. I also found that sometimes I was unable to setup maximum output power 5W. I used this radio for SOTA only. Some correspondents reported poor sound quality. Finally the microphone fail to operate, and I replaced the microphone element to fix it. Than FT-817ND stopped to operate from external power supply. I opened an enclosure and found very poor manufacturing workmanship on the main board- some ICs were soldered by hands and not cleaned from flux. I decided that it is not worth to repair it , and I sold it for parts. I will not recommend to buy FT-817ND. I also evaluated new Yaesu model at local HRO - FT-991, and it had parasitic receiving channels that I did not hear on other radios. It seems that Yaesu amateur radio product line is going down, considering quality and performance.

HA8MZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2017 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Great little RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first HF TRX, and I'm very happy with it. There are a lot of accessories for it, and very easy to use, especially in digimodes. In RX the power consumption is great, but in TX the 2A is a bit too much, I think.
The VHF/UHF is a big plus. For small portable operation it's a great RIG, and at home you can use amplifier if 5W is not enough.
I can bring it everywhere in my laptopcase.
It was a good decision to buy this one for first TRX, someday I will buy a bigger one, but I will not sell my 817ND.

WB4CNL Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2017 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use it for Digital and QRP SSB a great little transceiver

SV1AGK Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2017 03:46 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have more than 5 years , no any problem ,excellent receiver,

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2016 01:09 Send this review to a friend
The cats whiskers.  Time owned: more than 12 months
A gem of radio.I sold one and almost went into deep depression afterwards.The only way out of the darkness was to buy another.A superb all singing all dancing QRP rig that is so hard to beat.Everything you want wrapped up in a bullet proof case.All radio hams should be given one at birth.

DJ3UN Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 07:45 Send this review to a friend
More then I had ever before  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My first impression was man, I needed full table couple of years ago to fit all the stuff on it that I have now in this small piece of gear!

I bought it new, and I have only superlatives about it. In very beginning, before I got it outside, I wasn't quite sure if I like the way it's buttons and UI are working, but once I started really using it as portable device I'm more than happy with it. Never had any issues with neither transmitting or reception, and receiving is REALLY nice even with my cheapest earplugs I bought some time ago and found somewhere at home.

This is something I'm definitely not getting rid off.

N8AUC Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2016 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Nothing else like it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've always enjoyed QRP, and I always wanted one of these. So when I spotted a used 817 (pre ND) on an indoor table at Dayton a few years ago, I jumped at it. The only thing I can say is, "Why did I wait so long to get one of these?"

This tiny little radio literally does everything (except receive NOAA weather radio). It's a "jack of all trades". And while it's a master of none of them, it performs competently at all of them.

It will use just about anything as a power source, including internal batteries if you must.

Sometimes, 5 watts is a challenge. Sometimes, it's so easy it will blow your mind. Put one of these on a resonant dipole, and real fun awaits.

I absolutely love mine. If it died, I'd buy another one to replace it in a heartbeat. This is the ultimate, go anywhere, do anything, fits in a coat pocket, QRP rig. Yaesu hit the ball so far out of the park with this little radio, that no one else has even tried to compete with it after all these years. There truly is nothing else like it.

KF9MP Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2016 05:04 Send this review to a friend
Best QRP Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I dearly love my FT-817. This rig was purchased new in 2006 and has performed flawlessly ever since. My favorite uses so far have been as a mobile fro 2m in the car or as a QRP rig at home to work JT65 or PSK31 from home. I don't think I've ever worked SSB on HF with it but as a digital transceiver it always works fine.
I use mine on HF with the Yaesu SCU-17 USB unit to sit between the win-10 laptop and the 817. I've also used the LDG tuners and the tiny HF amp sold on amazon giving it up to 40 watts output. Never a problem once you get used to the settings and requirements for operating digital modes.
All in all my most dependable, easy to operate in almost any environment, HF rig.
There are tons of aftermarket programs for using this like a big rig, lots of accessories too.
My only complaint is some of the buttons are tiny, so fat fingered people may find it frustrating poking the V/M and F buttons. If this radio ever died I would immediately replace it with the exact same rig.