Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna
Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $22
Description: What appears to be a piece of PVC pipe with an SO-239 on one end, little do
they know........

You can write your own review of the Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna.

W4ZZK Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2019 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Goes Head-2-Head With Popular Dual Band Fiberglass Antennas!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I continue to be blown away by the performance of what would be considered a very simple, yet effective antenna design. I have taken special effort to put this antenna head-to-head with several popular dual band omni base antennas, one in particular to mention, the Tram 1480 Dual Band antenna. At the installation location, 20-25' AGL in North Alabama, in relatively horizon-to-horizon open area, somewhat hilly in the distance, there is **very, very little, if any difference in signal level when receiving distant repeaters and stations. Seems to take the same amount of RF Power to bring up distant repeaters. I work repeaters 50+ miles away daily with 15 Watts at 20 feet. When there is tropospheric ducting going on, it gets so much better. This is worth every dollar. I also cannot stress enough how important it is that you do use Class 200 PVC Pipe, as directed. Schedule 40 does detune the antenna, due to velocity factor of the SCH 40 pipe. They have tuned these antennas with Class 200 pipe. Be sure to use it. Look, it may only take a few bucks to make these yourself, but seriously consider supporting Ed's students in purchasing one via his eBay store. It's "the" economical performer for VHF and UHF FM work.

WH6FSA Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2019 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well made antenna. Lifetime warranty. You provide your own PVC and mast. I Originally intended to use the DBJ-1 as a back-up/portable antenna for field use. Received good reports on performance and able to tx /rx well on simplex as well as hitting many of the local repeaters. I now have it mounted on a 16í mast as my main antenna and picked up a second DBJ-1 for use away from the shack. Ed Fong is a knowledgeable ham and is quick to answer all questions. Itís also especially great that the proceeds support his students.

KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2017 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Been using it since summer 2017. Working great in every way. I had to really double check some SWRs and ended up replacing my coax. Now It is flat on VHF and 1.5 on the UHF repeaters I use. I am hitting repeaters all around. The other cool thing is I can call Ed himself if I have problems or questions. I called him just to chat. Learned a few things from him, he is fun to talk with. For the price, and I can talk with the designer himself. Along with he stands behind this thing. This is real value. It wonít be long before I have another. I am also thinking this will be perfect for the motorhome. Or should I say enginehome as it has no motor hi hi.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2017 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Super value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ed is a PhD EE and designs and build these antennas with great care. They work. The price is fair. They weather well. What more could you ask?

W8RMV Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2017 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first & only 2M/440 antenna. I have had it up for a few years and it always worked great. Yesterday I realized that I had a SWR meter that would work at 2M so I hooked it up & was disappointed to see a 3:1 SWR. I sent Ed an email & he quickly emailed me back & told me to call him. He answered just as he got out of the shower. I told him I'd call him back but he was having none of that, he wanted to help me now. He quickly figured out that I did not have it clear of the roof edge. Sure enough he was right. I moved it up 5' & now the SWR was 1.5:1 across the band. I was able to talk simplex on SSB on 5W with my HT to my buddy over 30 miles away . He said I was 59! Thanx, Ed.

VK3FORK Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2017 21:34 Send this review to a friend
For the money = Exc  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the $$ competes with much more expensive antenna . Might want to tighten and glue the SO 239 to stop it rotating . I currently have two of these , and to be honest the older one performs better than the newer one . The older one is very close in performance to my Diamond X50 , the Diamond just edging out the EF PVC . SWR is very flat on my sample ( 2 meters ) and the antenna works very well for both 2 meters and 70cm .

What ever repeater I can hit with the Diamond X50 I can also hit with the EF PVC @ 1/3 the price .

KD2KCY Rating: 3/5 Jun 5, 2016 05:02 Send this review to a friend
somewhat puzzled  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna to use on a portable 12' mast while camping in the heavily wooded Adirondacks. With my Yaesu 2900 I received no signals and couldn't break into any repeaters while my 25w mobile unit with it's mag roof antenna received several and worked very well on transmit. Later at home, I found that I could use only about 4 very close repeaters and not the 20+ as far away as 60 miles using my Diamond X30a antenna at the same height. I ordered another X30a this morning.

W3DKV Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Super scanner antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the commercial version of this antenna which is tuned for 152-157 MHz and 460-470 MHz, and it performs great when connected to my scanner. When compared to the highly-rated Diamond RH777 vertical, it performed about the same in the UHF range but blew the competition away in the VHF range. The only nit.... As some other reviewers noted, the SO-239 connector really isnít fastened tight enough and can turn when attaching a transmission line. A lock washer would have helped. Thanks Ed for a great antenna.

KE0ETZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 17, 2016 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Good on 2m, Poor on 70cm  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
On the antenna analyzer 2m is relatively flat throughout the ham band. I can work local VHF repeaters and distant ones 30+ miles away full quieting. On 70cm I have had problems working repeaters from the house that I can normally work well from my vehicle. After using the antenna analyzer I could see that across the 70cm ham band resonance goes up and down in several times within the band, between SWR 2:1 and 3:1 making points with the band that are workable and others that are not. The antenna is nearly useless on UHF. Upgraded cable to LMR400 with no significant improvement.

KI4TCX Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2016 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 75w version of this antenna. Shipping was fast. It was easy to put together. I had it up and working in no time. The swr's on this antenna were good on both the 2m/440 side. I checked into the nets tonight. The on air reports were great. I cannot attest to the long term use of the antenna as I haven't had it that long. So far it's working great. I would recommend this antenna to anyone.