Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-450 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450
Yaesu FT-450 Reviews: 239 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $aprox 999.00 new
Description: The FT-450 is a rugged, innovative multi-band, multimode portable transceiver for the amateur radio HF & 6M bands. Providing coverage of the 160-10 meter bands plus the 6 m, the FT-450 includes operation on the SSB, CW, AM, FM, and Digital modes, yielding the most comprehensive performance package available for field operation.

Designed for use from an external DC power source, the FT-450 provides 100 watts of power output from a 13.8-Volt external power supply, 160 - 6 meter coverage
More info: http://foxtango.org/FT-450/Yaesu_FT-450.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450.

KD6HUC Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2008 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been meaning to post a review for a few weeks now,but can't pull myself away from the rig! To make a long story short. I like it a lot! My Icom 756PRO died on me and I needed to get back on HF in a hurry to satisfy my craving for static crashes and all night ragchews. I did'nt want to spend a lot of money because I am still sending the Icom for repair and once again this fit the bill. Good audio on TX Good RX and very adaptable DSP. My only complaint was I had a hard time finding one WITHOUT the built in tuner. All my antennas are resonant, so why pay the extra $$$? If you are looking for something a little more hefty for mobile ops this rig is for you! If you are looking for something smaller than the full size rig, this is also for you. I've been a ham since 1992 and an SWL for a few years longer. HF is my playground and this is a great toy to use there. No it's not top of the line, but it's not top dollar either. Listen up for me on 6-80 and maybe even 160 this winter. (I have to be careful as I am an apartment dweller).....

NJ2H Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2008 14:04 Send this review to a friend
More than I expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend let me borrow this rig for a few days, and I am impressed. It is easy to use, and worked well with my AV-640 vertical. My only mechanical gripes are that the DSP button is right next to the power button (and I turned the rig off accidentally because of it), the VFO lock button is right next to the tuning dial (it is easy to move the dial while locking it!), and as others have noted, it sits flat on the desk with the tuning knob only a half-inch above the desk. On the plus side, the display is great and the menu is easy to navigate. It took less than 30 minutes for me to figure out the key functions. Performance-wise this thing pulls 'em in pretty well. Terrific value.

ZS1JHG Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2008 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Radio with latest technology  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great radio for portable,field day use.
My wish list was for a radio that could :
work on 12 v
have good interferance fighting abilities
be software updateable
built in atu
clear display
good tx audio
The FT450AT meets all of the above,looked at
Icom 7000 a great radio but VHF,UHF not required
and no atu and only acceptable tx audio.
My FT450AT purchased new came with the TX 400hz hum, which was sorted by the local agents. Yaesu
need to jack up their quality control, and hence only rated a 4 out of 5.Value for money and a techno leader for sure. Thumbs up for the FT450AT

WV4I Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2008 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Great for FD and Mobile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned my FT-450 a little under a year. Most previous radios included MkV Field, FT-857D, IC-746, etc.. I just used this radio in FD this year as well as recently tried it out in my 2006 Ford F150 truck.

The 2006 F150 has coil on the plug ignition for lack of a better descriptor. The ignition noise to the radio is S8 until the NB is on, and then it goes away. Completely. Amazing, at least to me, and lots of HF mobiling here in past. The NB is for pulse type noise only. There is a LOT of confusion as to what a NB is supposed to blank vs DNR or AGC functions.

CONTOUR function. It provides either NULL or PEAK of the selected portion of the IF passband, which is shiftable indepenedent fm IF shift, a different function. NULL to null interference, PEAK to increase the target signal strength. No numbers are given for the FT-450, but the FT-950 is in the range of +20db for PEAK, and -20db for NULL as I recall. With PEAKIng, noise is also increased.

DNR. DNR has 11 different noise reduction algorithms. Which one works is determined by discrete selection, and with each selection, the radio goes to DNR off, and then the new setting takes effect, either is better or not. This is NOT for QRM reduction, only QRN.

IF width and shift. The SSB IF width is variable fm 1.8/2.4/3.0 kc. I found this adequate and ran with 2.4kc for most of our 20m SSB FD ops. We had 3el 20M beam at 40', multiple replies to each CQ, and I found this setting adequate for picking out the strongest station and for dealing with the substantial QRM everywhere. The skirts do not sound very steep, and no ringing, tinny sound was observed. I did not run this rig on CW for FD, by then we had switched to my FT-950 for other club members' comparison. I note that the FT-450 only goes to 500hz BW on CW, which probably needs to be tighter for FD or heavy QRM contest condx. A firmware update? My radio has firmware 0109.

The NOTCH function can be shifted thruout the passband, and is there to deal with offending heterodynes, tuner uppers, whatever, and makes them disappear, as advertised.

AGC. The AGC can be set to fast or slow attack/recovery. Fast is more aggressive, resultant brief rcvr null is deeper, longer to recover. Right like it's supposed to work. The FT-950's fast AGC setting is even more pronounced in this area. AGC is there to protect the receiver and your ears. Slow is probably not aggressive enough in the summer with TRW static crashes present, at least for me. Otherwise slow is fine for SSB, Fast for CW, pretty typical.

ATT/IPO. I find this radio, and the FT-950 for that matter, have so much gain with a good antenna, that pre amp selection is NOT always all you got. There are 2 preamps in series. For 20M, even fm a dipole, one pre amp is plenty, two is overkill. For 75M and a 132' dipole, it's pre-amps off. If the S meter is moving, you've got enough receiver gain. More just increases noise, QRM, and is hard on the ears. Makes RF gain adjust not necessary, could've left that off even, and I leave it set to SQL function.

There is one quick access button, and I leave that set on MONItor, when on SSB, to listen to transmit audio, which gets great reports on this radio.

The ATU function was substantially improved with firmware updates, pulse tunes with approx 10 watts regardless of power setting in MENU, and has at least the tuning range of any other rigs with ATUs that I've owned /operated, and easily better than IC-746.

It takes a lot of time to write a review this long so I hope it's helpful to many considering the FT-450 or the FT-950/2000, latter being bigger versions, more of this/that, less menus and more knobs buttons, etc.. But, all have a similar operating scheme, build on one another.

This is not a radio to just turn on and go to it. It takes operating, read the applicable manual section, and operate some more. Ditto for the FT-950, FT-2000, and no doubt the latest Icoms.

Enjoy the hobby.

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2008 04:40 Send this review to a friend
So far so good......  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I have had my FT-450 for about two weeks now. I do like this radio. Features like the Record & TX function, record audio, monitor, EQ, DSP work real good.

Have my mic gain is at normal setting and EQ at 9 with real good reports on audio.

Meters easy to read & look at. Receiver and adustment of DSP seems good to me.

Menu for me, was easy to learn and adjust.
Small radio for sure, & easy to accidently move the small vfo dial when pushing buttons next to it, Lock function solves that for me.

So far so good, is there a better HF/6m 100w radio for $650 ( with no tuner )? Cant think of any...... 5 out of 5 for me.

73 K1WJ David

KR4JA Rating: 3/5 Jun 14, 2008 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good, however..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a nice little radio which does a lot for the money. The DSP filtering is fairly good for a radio in this price class (the DSP is better than the IC-718, but not as good as the IC-7000). I would have kept the radio as a backup to my ProIII, but I had one major problem.

The radio does not do well in a high RF environment. I live about 6 miles from a 50KW AM radio station. The front end of the FT-450AT could not handle it. The 3rd harmonic of the AM station completely wiped out 160M, and the 5th harmonic took out 80M with +20db over S9 interference, even with the preamp turned off on the FT-450AT. Iíve had many radios in my shack over the years, and most had no problem with the AM station (including other Yaesu radios like the FT-767GX, 890, 900, etc-they did fine). I replaced the FT-450AT with a Kenwood TS-480SAT, and it does fine as a backup to my ProIII (neither have a problem with the 50KW AM station). I realize this front-end overload problem would probably only affect 1 out of 1000 operators, but thought I should share my experience

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2008 06:42 Send this review to a friend
So Far Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received this radio and found it easy to set up and use. I didn't find the menu all that difficult. Unlike my most recent prior radio (IC 7000) I am getting excellent transmit audio reports. Never did with the Icom. The receiver on the 450 seems particularly sensitive and with the IF DSP features dealing with QRM is not a problem.

The only "wish" so far is that the meter would allow simultaneous display of all transmit parameters (PO, SWR, ALC). I also wish that the speech processor was not "automatic" and that the compression level could be set and displayed along with the ALC level.

I would appreciate an e-mail from anyone who knows how to change the display color via the hidden menu. I have accessed the hidden menu and tried it per what I have read in some postings and it does not work. e-mail exlasd@msn.com

KA5IQX Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2008 20:02 Send this review to a friend
GREAT LITTLE RIG  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a fantastic little radio. It's not as big as my Kenwood 570...and it's not as small as my Icom 706MKIIG. (I suppose that means it's "in between" huh ?) At the time of this writing...Yaesu is offering the rig for a special, lower price. That price reduction, along with some really good features in a compact size...make for a heck of a good deal.

Of course the radio is to a large extent, menu driven, as most are these days. But after scanning the manual and playing with the knobs and buttons for a while...it really doesn't take too long to understand the basic operation and get on the air. The DSP features seem to work pretty well, although I'm still experimenting with that and will most likely get a better feel for the settings as time goes by. For most users, once you make whatever menu settings you want to change, the majority of your normal day to day operations can be done using mostly the front panel controls.

The microphone is larger than most but is not a problem at all. The small size of the main tuning dial doesn't bother me either. It's understandable. The rig was designed to be compact, so it's obvious that some adjustments had to be made in order to have a good front panel with easy access to the various controls. Besides...the "select" knob can move you quickly through the frequencies and then the main dial can be used for fine tuning.

I was also pleased with the display. The photos I've seen of the radio make it appear that the display is a very bright, harsh white color. Actually it's more of a soft, light blue. I found the size and color of the display to be quite good. In fact, none of the photos I've seen really show what a good looking rig it actually is when you finally see the real thing sitting in front of you.

I've make some really great DX contacts using this little rascal and I consider it to be my "Baby FT-950". It most certainly is not going to be in the category of a Pro III or FT 2000...but then it doesn't have the price tag either. Overall, it's a fun radio with some great features.

K7BEX Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2008 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Turn Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the FT-450AT in my motorhome and run it off of two 8D batteries. The compact size allows me to keep it under the ledge of my desk. The coax to the antennas is less than 6 feet so I have very little loss. The grouping of three Hustler antennas (15,20,40) gives me the performance I need. I have been able to work almost anyone I receive. The options for filtering our the QRM is amazing. My wife and I are traveling all over the western US this summer so I hope for a wide varity of QSO's and eyeball meetings. I have the perfect setup for my needs and all for under $1000.

AE4TO Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2008 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Volksradio peoples radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A combination of a good receiver,good dsp,good output,good filters at a competitive price makes it an excellent buy.
I have use this radio on the 160 meters a band where you need a good reciever otherwise you get lots of of garbage and the radio holds itself well. The output is more than 100 watts. My only complain is non existing cw qsk...but is still a good cw rig with good audio reports on ssb too. It has a small foot print. You are getting a lot of radio with many of the features found in more expensive radios. This is all the radio you need to take you anywhere.I have a pro3, 7000, 706 and find my self using this baby a lot. Its a good shortwave radio too. Ergonomics are good too.