Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7700 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7700
ICOM IC-7700 Reviews: 130 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $6999.95
Description: Description: The ICOM 7700 200W HF/6M has been introduced at the 2007 Dayton Hamvention. ICOM has followed all the success of the beautiful IC-7800 with the smaller, single receiver IC-7700. It utilizes two separate 32-bit floating point TI DSP chips, has a 7-inch wide TFT display, built in RTTY/PSK31 receive and transmit using a USB Keyboard interface, external video connection, high res spectrum scope, plus high voltage MOSFET 200 Watt PA.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7700.

K2KN Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2018 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Best Transceiver Ever Used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the IC-7700 for 3 years. Chasing DX is my primary interest. I have operated many transceivers over my 49 years amateur radio licence experience, and this radio has been the best.

The IC-7700 has a total luxury feel and quality build. The receiver is excellent. The filters and noise reduction is to die for. IN CW or SSB you can pull in the weakest stations. It works equally well in both modes. This radio will be a keeper.

IK1VQY Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2018 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In the past I owned TS-850, then Ft-1000MP, then Ft-2000 and lastly FTdx5000MP. Two months ago I bought a beautiful ICOM IC-7700, used but checked and revised completely by the retailer and with a one-year warranty.
I had never used ICF HF devices but I have to say that there are no comparisons. Excellent receiver, excellent sensitivity and selectivity, NB and NR extremely effective, much more than the other devices I had, even the FTd5000MP which is still an excellent radio. Extremely intuitive in use and settings. Excellent sound from the internal speaker, excellent control of headphones even at high impedance.
Truly a great radio

In passato ho posseduto TS-850, poi Ft-1000MP, poi Ft-2000 e per ultimo FTdx5000MP. Due mesi fa ho acquistato uno splendido ICOM IC-7700, usato ma controllato e revisionato completamente dal rivenditore e con garanzia di un anno.
Non avevo mai usato apparati HF della ICOM ma devo proprio affermare che non ci sono paragoni. Ottimo ricevitore, ottima la sensibilità e la selettività, NB e NR estremamante efficaci, molto di più degli altri apparati che avevo avuto, anche dell'FTdx5000MP che è comunque un ottima radio. Estremamente intuitivo nell'uso e nelle impostazioni. Ottimo audio dall'altoparlante interno, ottimo pilotaggio di cuffie anche ad alta impedenza.
Veramente un'ottima radio

W5KG Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2017 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Great So For  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the 7700 but about a month and a half, but have I have enjoyed the big rig. I had an IC-7600 and I had trouble seeing the screen and adjustments on the face. So I sold it and bought an IC 7700 from a one owner for $2800 shipped. He also sent the invoice and warranty repair slip. In talking with about problems, he told me he bought it HRO in 2009 and had to send it to replace the finals under warranty and had not had any trouble with sense.
He ran it a max 200w with no problems.
So I tuck a chance. Now, with the use of the monitor I can see the screen very well and due to the size see most of the controls.
To sum up , very nice receiver with plenty of noise reduction.
Great transmit audio too.
I have used TT Orion, FTDX 3000, FT 2000, and the IC 7600. Better than them all!
Don, W5kg

G3OZN Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2017 06:04 Send this review to a friend
A great rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two recent rigs were Kenwood TS940S and Yaesu FT1000MP MK V field, both very good in their time. The IC 7700 is a totally different rig, the 200 watts and internal PS with RTTY & PSK inbuilt is great, I am hearing stations on 160m (same antenna) and working them that I have never heard or worked before. The filtering on receive is excellent allowing me to dig them out of local band noise, and with the Icom desk mic I am getting some wonderful audio reports. Will report back in a few months time.

N0UY Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2017 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Well Worth the Wait  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been wanting one for about 5 years now. I owned the IC-781 in the past and have always missed that large radio with knobs and buttons for the common items you adjust during a qso. I bought a nice used 7700 from a fellow who told me everything about it's service record and the upgrades that have been done. I operate CW most of the time but have found it to be a very nice rig on the phone band also. The firmware was several upgrades behind so I brought it up to the current version 2.1. Now it's like a whole new radio with additional features easily accessed. Many people have told me that since it doesn't have dual watch feature it won't be a good DX chaser. Well I spent some time using another model of radio with the same XFC button feature and find it very useful and less confusing during those undisciplined pile-ups. It is a real plus for me and I wouldn't change a thing. I think I have found an exceptional radio for all of my operating needs. Highly recommended. BTW, as for all of you guys that need to have the latest and greatest, Thank You. Your desires for everything new has helped to bring the cost for a used rig such as this down to a level where guys like me can muster up enough cash to pull it off. Finally. Best Regards, Ray

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2016 14:39 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After owning several different radios of different brands I find this ic-7700 to be the best in it's class and this is comparing to the top radios out in the market. Size, rx performance, a beefy 200x output, and good looks, what more can one ask for. The only down side to most is the price. Then again, you get what you pay for. I haven't owned an ic-7851 but I prolly will stick with the ic-7700 for a while.

W5API Rating: 2/5 Jun 4, 2016 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Way too many problems and HIGH REPAIR COSTS.  Time owned: more than 12 months
First I would like to say there are some amazing features and functions built into this radio for a 10 year old design. I bought my IC-7700 from a local dealer new and was very pleased until I was 3 months out of warranty and the PA Finals died. I sent it to Icom at my expense which was hundreds of dollars insured via FEDEX. Then I had to pay many hundreds of dollars for the repair, remember 3 months out of repair. Got it back after my wallet started limping and it worked correctly for about 6 months at which time the powersupply died. Went through the same process again. This time I decided I was not going to be a victim any longer!!!! When I got it back, I sold it immediately in working condition for a significant loss. I was a 25 year customer of ICOM but no more. What Icom should have done was offer an extended warranty contract for say $250 per year and I would have gladly paid it. There is definitely too much risk associated with this radio.

M1WML Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2016 12:59 Send this review to a friend
great radio..  Time owned: more than 12 months
what else can I say....
great radio. well done icom...
10/10.

ZS5WC Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2015 03:59 Send this review to a friend
Bold and Beautiful!.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Placing an Icom IC-756 next to the IC-7700,is like parking a Japanese compact next to an F650!.
The sheer size of this rig -(and weight) kind of caught me by surprise-but then, I like them big and bulky!.

AS a norm, I would normally equate good performance to size, having collected and restored many older rigs and the bigger units normally don't disappoint!. Cooling certainly won't be an issue if you look at the size of the Chassis / heatsink.
Plenty "horsepower" under the hood with the 200w out,and the processor audio with the Heil PR-781 on Transmit does not disappoint!.
Having a HV PA also helps as the IMD levels on transmit are very low-and you can hear this on the air.

The receiver is super smooth sounding, does not irritate the eardrums like some of the other receivers out there, and the audio reproduces well on the external loud speaker.

The Close in IMD on Receive is better than I need, selectivity is good, and the white noise levels in the receive audio is very low. (Could be a bit lower-but then I am picky..)

The NOISE BLANKER has me confused, sometimes it works as described in the manual, sometimes I get a large POP! in the RX audio when a light switch gets turned on or off-and my other rigs don't do this--So will keep on fiddling until I get it better or working well. Just irritates me like a dashboard rattle-sometimes it's ok, sometimes not.

DSP works fine-I normally don't require or like to use DSP, but when needed it certainly makes a difference.
The Internal tuner works great as well.

I would have liked a POWER adjustment in the MENU, because when you excite a modern Solid State amp, you have to twiddle the power and drive knobs to reduce the drive level. For instance, on the TS-590s you would have pressed the menu button, scrolling to "power", turning the selector knob to right level, and exiting the menu. Very quick operation.
Also would have been nice to record a received signal on air and be able to play it back to another station, whilst someone is setting up his station.

Great Big Rig, still learning to "drive" it properly-but very happy with the IC-7700, my only real complaint is the Noise Blanker, but who knows, I might find a way to set it to suit my conditions eventually.
73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC

NW3Y Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2015 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Great radio !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had Icom's before and because of my happy experience with those, I choose to upgrade my station with the IC-7700 and IC-7600 (see seperate review). The IC-7700 is a "beafy" rig. Nice to have 200W output, a 7.0" screen that is surprisingly helpful, several RS232 ports, 4 SO 239's out for antenna choices, great design and good ergonomics, easy to use menu that can shape stuff going out as well as coming in, good roofing filter options and DVK and CW outputs that record four individual output transmissions. Recordings and playbacks are way too easy with this radio. Coming from an older contest rig, its nice to be able to connect and use the cw keyer, in a contest, in conjunction with the cw programing. There are tremendous options with this radio and I find it very user friendly. The comments on the audio quality and crispness continue to be impressive from other stations. Did I mention it has a super nice binder for the operating instructions which is easy to use and understand? I'm very happy with this radio and look forward to putting it through its paces in a contest.