Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TMV71A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TMV71A
Kenwood TMV71A Reviews: 106 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $399.00
Description: The advanced Kenwood TM-V71A dual bander provides sophisticated, high-powered performance on 2 meters and 440 MHz. Power levels are 5/10/50 watts on both bands. The large radio display clearly conveys the status of the radio and can be set to green or amber.
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kenwood_TMV-71A

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TMV71A.

KG6TR Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2019 17:12 Send this review to a friend
solid radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have had this in the car for a few months. I typically will monitor air bands on one side, repeaters on the other. The removable display fits perfectly tucked into the stash pocket on the front console, the radio body is mounted in the passenger area under the glovebox. Always get good tx reports. I'm using a through-glass antenna and it still works like a champ. Great radio with true dual-receive.

Don't regret the purchase at all, and larger displays would be a no-go in my car (VW GTI). Ideal combination of performance and small-but-not-too-small size.

N7QIN Rating: 4/5 Sep 15, 2018 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Great radio but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 3 of these radios and 2 of them are in mobile applications of what I would call rough service, one of them in my 4x4 pickup on the dashboard and the other mounted on the dashboard of a semi truck. The other is used as a base station.
Rx and Tx seems great along with ease of manual programming as compared to other radios.
The biggest disadvantage I have found is the inability to program separate tones for Tx and Rx. There are a few repeaters in the areas I frequent that have a different transmit and receive tones on purpose. The work around seems to be only using the tone encode function, but it allows all the unwanted interference to come through the receive frequency.
Other than that, a great rig. If it wasn't, I would not own so many of them.

'73
N7QIN

AC6DN Rating: 3/5 Dec 24, 2017 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Its mosly good..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Time owned, one day...

Its mostly good, however...

Problems:
- It only has six characters to name the memories, when 7 or 8 is needed (10 would be ideal) #1 (see notes below).
- It only allows for capsized letters (at least via RT Systems) #1.
- The remote head kit, only comes with 9.9Ft (3m) of cable (it should be 12.2Ft (4m), or maybe even 16.5Ft (5m). It should come with the mic cable (any LAN cable should work).
- The remote head kit is meant to mount to on top of the dash, when this is not how it can be mounted *1 (it needs to come with a front and under mount, too).
- The squelch works OK, but seems like the range is kinada narrow (not caused a problem, just an observation).
- No TA (talk around) PF option/ button.
- No easy monitor (this can be programed into PF).

#1: Let say you live near San Fransisco. There are 5 repeaters there you use on VHF and 5 more on UHF. You don't know the repeater owner, so the call sign is less useful.
Lets take a look at few examples of this issue:
San Fransisco VHF Channel 1: SANFV1 (or SF V1) the TM-V71 only allows for 6 characters. How about instead, SanFrnV1 (this is 8), or even better SanFran V1 (this is 10)? What if I needed to be more specific like South San Francisco VHF Channel 1: SOSFV1 (or SSF-V1), or better, So SF VHF-1 (8), etc.

*1: I used tin snips to remove the finders (or leafs) and just left the side where it began to be a finger/ leaf, and used 3 screws, one (two) on each side near were I cut and one on the middle of the bracket as designed. I mounted mine on the center console between the HVAC controls and stereo.

KM4UHS Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2017 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Fan Upgrade  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 3 TM-V71 transceivers (1 mobile / 2 Base) have all been fitted with the Noctua NF-A4x10, replacing the noisy and failure prone OEM fan (which retails for $28 but can be easily found for less than a dollar - just change the connector).
The TM-V71 is, I believe, the best all-around dual-band transceiver on the market, but the fan is very cheap. The Noctua is silent and moves more air (most OEM mfg fan specs are worthless) but needs the 30cm lead shortened and the OEM connector spliced in for the TM-V71.
The Noctua 40mm fan comes in both 5V & 12V versions, so be careful to choose the 12 volt unit.

KN4DQE Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2017 18:18 Send this review to a friend
EASY to learn and use! Packed full of features!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I absolutely love this radio! I read all of the reviews of this radio, versus the Yaesu and Icom models and decided on this model. I didn't get the 710 as I don't need APRS right now, but like the fact that I can always upgrade the faceplate and obtain that functionality. The radio itself is extremely easy to operate, and program. I was up and running in literally 10 min without reading the manual.

KM4GIY Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2017 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Great dual band radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just picked up my second TM-V71A because the first one works so well. Pretty straight forward transceiver that is easy to program, cross band repeats, echo link if you need it, and more. As long as you're not looking for one of the digital modes then this is the radio you want. It is 50W on both VFH and UHF which is a big plus. The fan is a bit loud but since these are in my mobiles it's not an issue for me. I can see why when mounted in a nice quiet shack it could be annoying. I like the feel of the mic - it feels solid and fits my hand well. Also, this is a little thing but Kenwood supplies the best mic hangers with their rigs compared to the other manufacturers. There are a few minuses but not enough to drop my score to a 4, the most being the cost of the Kenwood remote mount kit. Too easy to make one with stuff laying around the shack to pay $50 for the factory kit.

N7AY Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2017 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Just works, and works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my TM-V71A for 2 years now. I use it daily and am very happy with it. It just works and does it well. Notable features are cross-band capability, Remote control from HT, ease of use, dual channel, direct computer connect for digital work, 180 degree flipping head, clear and readable display, sound quality.

It isn't perfect, in my opinion it has a few minor flaws, but not enough to rate it a 4. They are: Med power level is 10W, it should have been 20-25W. Fan noise could be a little lower. I wish is was 75W instead of 50W on high power.

I would recommend the radio to anyone - money well spent.

K9OBX Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2017 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Good Mobile   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little radio surprised me. I have owned a number of Yaesus and this is my second Kenwood ( I still have the other one). It works flawlessly in cross band repeat mode and is a perfect match for my TH-D72A handheld. Together, with almost any HT, I can completely control this radio from outside the car. I can put it in and out of cross band repeat and even change frequencies and a whole lot more. I would highly recommend this or the 710

I would definitely buy it again.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2016 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio has been available for quite a few years. It works very well, so no good reason for a replacement. Very sensitive receiver, seems very resistant to intermod. I wish the radio had 25 watt mid power range rating, not 10 watts. Audio is not as full as my older ICOM IC2350, but still very clear. Manual is not so good. Lists buttons not even on the radio. Price is competitive. I rate a five.

K4KXX Rating: 2/5 Nov 13, 2016 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Dead carrier byitself?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought two of these TM-v71's one for my mobile adn one for my base hoping to set up an Echolink Link at my QTH. For abot 3 weeks we ( meaning the local hams on simplex) have been encountering a problem with a dead carrier on 145.600. After messing around trying to track the signal I noticed it was coming from my house !!! Apparently my radio would automatically send a dead carrier all by itself for upwards of 10 minutes ! I'm going to call Kenwood in the morning. This radio is only about 2 months old!!