Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Elecraft Repair & Alignment by W3DVX Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft Repair & Alignment by W3DVX
Elecraft Repair & Alignment by W3DVX Reviews: 104 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $60/hr. Const: contact for quote
Description: Williamsport, PA. W3DVX since 1955; Amateur Extra since 1957. Built dozens of Heathkits and many K2s. Electrical Engineer (computer h/w & s/w).In addition to building new kits, will finish kits for you if you need help. Repair of all Elecraft products. Reasonable rates. Also see reviews listed under "Small Wonder Labs Repair & Alignment by W3DVX."
More info: http://WilcoxEngineering.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft Repair & Alignment by W3DVX.

KC5WA Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2018 13:24 Send this review to a friend
repair of my K2  Time owned: months
I sent Alan an Elecraft K2 that I messed up so bad I told him it was a box of two headed rattle snakes. Not only did Alan Repair my K2 but I got back a snake skin belt and a matched set of baby rattles. All Kidding aside Alan did a superb complete repair-alignment of my K2 but also built and installed KIO2 in the process in less then 10 days. Alan's rates are very reasonable and it a pleasure to do business with this fine tech. He knows his business. I would not hesitate to use Alan's services in the future.
73 WW5RC

N2SO Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2018 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service Fast & Expert Repair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi,
Several years ago I purchased a completed used K-2 from a local ham. It had just about all of the options that I could want except the ability to communicate with my PC. I purchased the RS-232 interface and started building the kit. I finished all the soldering work and made up the cable and all went well until it came time to "extract" the control board. The instructions told me to use the long handled allen wrench as a type of pry up tool as described in p.42 of the original construction manual. Although I struggled mightily the board wouldn't come out. At least not until I realized that the instructions failed to mention that you must first remove the two fastener screws on the left and the 2d fastener on the right. If I had put the K-2 together originally, I might have realized that error before ending up cutting the PC Board traces with the allen wrench. Of course the RS-232 Interface failed the 1st test and Elecraft confirmed that the cut traces were the probable cause. Although they suggested a way to repair the traces, this was really beyond my abilities and I sought out the help of Alan W3DVX who I knew specialized in rescuing builds. I am delighted to report that within 24 hours of receipt of my K2, Alan had it shipped back to me repaired, tested, completed and aligned all at a most reasonable price! What more could you want? It is my pleasure to recommend Alan wholeheartedly.

KA3EVT Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2018 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Experience - Again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Alan provide excellent service and support. This is my second experience with his service and everything was as outstanding as the first. I highly recommend him.

KA3EVT Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2018 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Great experience, excellent communication, and first rate work.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Alan has great expertise. He is helpful with any questions and regularly sends updates on his progress. I highly recommend him to anyone for Elecraft repairs and kit building.

KM8L Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2018 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looks like this may be the 100th review. 100 reviews with a 5.0 average! I am happy to add my 5 as I received prompt service, excellent communication, and a radio that seems as good (or better) than it was 13 years ago. After many QSOs later, my K2 needed new finals, a new battery, upgrades, and alignment. All was done expertly at a resonable price. I highly recommend Alan Wilcox if you need any work done on an Elecraft transceiver!

N6DMB Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2017 16:15 Send this review to a friend
K2 Reset and Calibration  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a long break from the hobby, I now have time to devote to amateur radio. While reaquainting myself with my Elecraft K2, I encountered a receiver issue which I could not resolve on my own. Alan did a great job for me on a build project (not this K2) a few years ago. So when my radio acted up, I was glad when he offered to check it out for me. Alan quickly had the radio working properly again, recalibrated and good to go in practically no time. Turnaround time was less than a week.

Thank you, Alan.

WB5BKL Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2017 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent communication  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked up a new-to-me K2 and sent it to Alan for a tune-up. Alan suggested a few mods and updates - and I am glad that I took his advice. Lots of good communication during the process. Great rig and great, prompt service.

N6EZS Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2017 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent in every way  Time owned: months
Highly recommended. Alan lives up to his well-deserved reputation as the go-to guy for Elecraft servicing/assembling/upgrading. Communication, price and quality are all superior. If you've got an Elecraft issue, don't hesitate to contact him.

KL7TF Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2016 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently sent my Elecraft K2 S/N 2153 to Alan for a tuneup and to have the filters re-calibrated. I also had the AF Gain pot replaced per Alan's recommendation. The rig performs better than expected. Never thought the K2 could sound this good. Total turnaround time from Alaska was exactly 1 week! Prices are fair and the service is first rate.

KA1IS Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 20:57 Send this review to a friend
excellent K1 alignment and repair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a used K1 that had problems with the tuning range and resolution.

Alan repaired and aligned it with turnaround time of less than 10 days. The results were even better than expected. The K1 is now an awesome sounding receiver.

Highly recommended.