Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-998 IntelliTuner
MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Reviews: 107 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The MFJ-998 Full Legal Limit 1500 Watt Intellituner takes you to the final level in automatic antenna tuners. With a capability of 1500 watts SSB and CW, coupled with automatic tuning, your high-power station can now operate essentially hands-free even when frequency and band changes are made.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-998

You can write your own review of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner.

AD0AR Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2019 18:35 Send this review to a friend
3+ years going good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been a solid performer for me.
Initially I found it hit and miss, but I suspected an issue with some pre-fabricated ultraflex 400 cables as the culprit.
I learned how to build my own cables using compression style PL-259's and I haven't had an issue since.
The shield connections on the prefab ultraflex cables were the culprit confirmed by a continuity check.
Who would have thought?

KB3NWU Rating: 1/5 Jul 5, 2019 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Get something else  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm being generous with this 1 rating. This is my second 998. The buttons fell out of the first one - luckily just before the warranty was done. The ON/OFF button is now acting up on the second one. Nice idea: very wide range, fully automatic, thousands of memories. But it does not deliver on any of those promises. This tuner simply hates tuning 10M, 15M, 40M (especially 40M), and 160M on my Cobra Sr. Ultralite dipole. No, it's not the antenna. The INTERNAL tuner of my FTDX-3000D (which is widely criticized for its lack of range) can tune every frequency on every band to at least 1.3, most of the time it's 1:1; but then, of course, I can't use my amp. The 998 is supposed to have 10X that range! It won't tune to less than 2.4 SWR on 15M and the amp faults when it's that high. With some effort it will "apparently" tune to 1:1 on 10M. "Apparently" because that's what its meter reads; however, when you press the PTT the SWR shoots up and faults the amp. No, it's not the antenna - I tried a resonant 10M vertical with the same result. 40M is pure torture. It simply won't tune automatically ("Increase power"). It even ignores a carrier. So, I went through the hour and a half procedure of manually tuning every 2 kHz and saving the settings to its memory. Did it save the settings? Nope, not a single one. Do yourself a big favor and get something else. The LDG auto tuner is about $200 cheaper than this thing. I haven't bought it YET but several other LDG auto tuners I've had have always worked great.

W2NER Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2019 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a typo, in one comment I should have said: "With this tuner (and any other tuner that matter) you need to make sure it does not see high wattage durung TX during tuning"
------------------------------------------
I have both, the MFJ-998 and 998RT and both perform fantastic. Both of them worked great out of the box with no problems at all. My 998RT I just installed this week and as the desktop model it works flawlessly. With this tuner (and any other tuner that matter) you need to make sure it does not see high wattage durung TX. I think there are more positive reviews out there than negative, its just they do not post here. If you are looking for a auto tuner, don't hesitate to purchase this one. Oh and I had a few Palstar auto tuners also so this auto tune setup is not new to me.

AA8HS Rating: 3/5 Feb 6, 2019 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Gave up on 160 and bought a manual tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 160 dipole is tuned to 1960Khz and this item will only tune it to 1.5:1 at 1926 and 1.9 at 1840 (FT8). My new ATR-30 goes to 1:1 on both without issues. When raising power on the MFJ-998, the SWR rises and the ALS-1300 shuts down on speech peaks. An Ameritron employee even told me that the manual tuner had a higher Q coil and would do a better job on 160. When the wind blows, this unit (as opposed to LDG's) tries to retune which can also cause the amp to shut down on 80 meters. The amp has never shut down with the manual tuner. This deluxe manual tuner was even cheaper than the MFJ-998 and would have been a better choice. On higher bands, the MFJ-998 will tune a variety of antennas without difficulty.

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2018 02:32 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse with some tender loving care  Time owned: more than 12 months
My MFJ-998 was working well at up to 1.5KW even in contests. But lately its tuning became erratic, SWR readings too low, and on 10m at high power the display would blank out.

Turned out one diode in the SWR meter was partially broken and screws were loose. I replaced a germanium diode by ubiquitous 1N918 and tightened all the screws. Now tuning is fast again with no surprises.

TF3DT Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2018 02:39 Send this review to a friend
Very good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
The tuner is excellent. You have to read the manual, like someone said here. Running 1KW + constantly into a modified 43 vertical. Tunes everything from 160 to 10 and I have used it to tune 6m. Running IC7300 with interface cable and SPE Expert 1,3.Used it for 3+ years, no problems at all. I have smoked 2 other more expensive ATU but this one is still my favorite

KN6SU Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2018 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd been using auto tuners (Kenwood and LDG) for
I guess I got a "good" unit, since it has been working exactly as advertised. I don't plan to exceed 1KW, so the LDG AT1000 could have also met my needs, though it would be operating at its limits whereas the 998 has a 500W safety margin. It tunes with as little as 5W drive and has a very wide tuning range, and will match stuff my smaller auto tuners can't handle at all. I'm not sure how it will hold up to 1.5KW use, but I'm pretty confident it will hold up to regular 1KW operation. For these reasons I give it a solid 5/5 rating.

CAVEAT: The MFJ-998 has a 48 page user manual. You absolutely need to read the manual in order to understand and access the extensive control menus to properly use this device! I suspect some of the reviewer concerns and criticisms might have been answered by a careful review of the instruction manual.

I also recommend opening the unit when you get it to check for any obvious assembly problems (e.g. loose components and connectors, poor soldering, misplaced jumpers, etc.). Give it a good workout ASAP on several bands and with different antennas to make sure it's working correctly.

PA1ADR Rating: 1/5 Mar 16, 2018 08:59 Send this review to a friend
No "hot switch"'  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Searching for a auto tuner that could handle 1kW+ I choose the MFJ 998', mainly because of the hot switch function.(switches amplifier relay off during tune-proces if used with TCVR interface). It didnt "hot switch" as promised, so my supplier send it to a technician advised by MFJ. He said it wordked properly and told me to check my equipment and cables. (equipement Kenwood ts-2000 into amp Acom-1000 into rotatable 3 band dipole). After doing so (I'm a e-technician myself) and not found any failure in my equipement I tried it again and still the hot switch failed, also with an other rig (icom 737). Send it back again to technician. He told it was doing ok. Well it wasnt!! Via mail to my supplier he asked me about my antenna. I explained that the problem had to be in a tuners processor. I couldnt believe his reaction was that the Acom was to sensitive and he advised to set the amp in standby before tuning!!! After some mails and confrontation with the specifacations they took it back and refunded the price of the tuner (800). The interface (25) and sending costs of me and my supplier where NOT refunded. After all loss of 100+ and a hangover.
Conclusion: it does not do what the specifacation and manual promise and then they try to blame the customer and no refund of costs. I was a MFJ fan but NOT ANYMORE!

VE7IG Rating: 3/5 Nov 3, 2017 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Sent for repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
After working reasonably well for several months the unit stopped working and had to be returned to MFJ (at my expense) for warranty repair. They kept it a long time and through the warranty period. Finally, when I asked them about it in an email it was repaired and returned (shipping at my expense) and since then has worked perfectly, even better than before. Most of my antennas are non-resonant on various bands I use them on and this tuner does tune them all, 160 to 10m. It is not a piece of equipment that I use with confidence that it will last, however.

KI4MOA Rating: 1/5 Nov 2, 2017 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Not What Expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered a new from HRO MFJ 998 auto tuner for an Icom IC 7300. I tried everything I knew to do, reset the default, ordered a new tuner cable for the ICOM 7300 to the MFJ 998... even tried it on an Icom 718 before returning. I was refunded by money for the Tuner, but I now have a power supply and tuner cable I don't need and am out $23 bucks to ship it back.... I will try get credit for the power supply and cable and get my shipping back. So I may update this review. Why don't they actually check these things out before they ship them?