Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 241 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

VA7UO Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2019 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice field radio!! Good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this in a trade and would not give it up! Has the front carry handles which make it ideal for field day which is it's main purpose instead of my 7300. The filter selection and tapering is exactly what is needed in something in this category of HF field ready radios. With the front firing speaker which sounds great is a bonus and the one I have is a 2014 model. The mic that came with it sounds really good, however some people may not have a great voice for radio and in particular SSB no matter what mic you give them.
The menu system is fairly intuitive albeit after reading what some of the buttons do. A built in tuner would have been nice but I prefer to have resonant antennas rather than a transmatch.

VA2DV Rating: 3/5 Jan 8, 2019 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Was good in 2007...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently acquired a used IC-7200 to run some tests in my somehow noise-limited urban shack.
I had one years ago but it was long gone to play with other radios. The first thing I noticed when powering it up was the background noise. No ajustments (ALC,RF gain,NB and NR) could make it a little quieter. Even at lower settings, the NR is so badly distording weak signal that it makes it difficult to listen for long periods. Don't get me wrong, the dsp (Blackfin Processor) was OK 10 years ago, similar to the one in the Yaesu FT-450, but now it's clearly outdated. Even with a good external speaker, the 7200 sounded real crude to me. I have not been spoiled by hi-end rigs since I have always owned mid-class radios as the Kenwood TS-590 and Yaesu FTDX-1200.
I may be the right radio for you if the form factor (military, rough look) is what you are looking for, but for a simple base station setup, they are way better options now on the market. Even the small Yaesu FT-891 with a 32-bits DSP would run circle around the 7200.
The IC-7200 is still available new from many dealers, but for the price, I would certainly buy something else. Even the IC-7100 seems a better deal. Now, with the aftermarket brackets made by PortableZero, almost any rig can be dress to look like a military field radio...

WA8MEA Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2018 00:53 Send this review to a friend
Update - MUCH better!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Icom IC-7200 update: In a prior review, I was rather upset about other hams not hearing me when transmitting on this model Icom. Recently, I ran across an online article that said the mic gain and mic compression had to be turned all the way up in order for the rig to transmit at full potential. So I removed it from off of the shelf and hooked it back up. Since doing as the article recommended, the rig is a pleasure to run. And the receive audio filters are sure nice to have to knock out all types of interference.

AF7RV Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2018 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Underline the word "Solid". The IC-7200 is well built and has all the features one needs in the field, or for a newer general operator who wants performance without a lot of confusing options.

I bought my '7200 used from a friend who lost the opportunity to use it. I found set up straightforward and operating easy. The supplied microphone is not what I would consider Icom quality (likely outsourced) so get a quality headset or desktop model.

I've used this radio on both SSB and digital. It works well with FT8 and PSK31. The audio from its little speaker is impressive. You may need an external tuner unless you have a well matched antenna so I picked up an LDG IT-100 autotuner. On an end fed half wave wire antenna, I was QSOing with central and South America, some European countries, and even Asia. I'm convinced the LDG tuner could match a barbed wire fence, but that's material another review.

Great performance from a well constructed transceiver. If you are on a budget, or are looking for a quality machine for portable ops, this is what you need. The price point is well within the means of many and likely better on the used market if you can find one. I'm happy Icom didn't discontinue this model. It's a winner.

W6AKF Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2018 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just got my IC-7200 and I’m very impressed with the ease of the operational controls. The manual is easy to understand and there didn’t seem to be any “Japanese to American” verbiage problems that they seem to have with sentence structure when they write up the manuals. The Advanced Instructions Manual I got off the ICOM homepage helped pinpointing controls and what they do. I got good receive signal strengths off my Alpha FMJ vertical and my LDG IT-100 did a great job finding the best SWR sequence(1.1 &1.2) for each band I worked.

There are two items I think should be addressed by Icom. The microphone they supply with the 7200 is awful! The reports I got said it was “muffled” “no highs” “very basie” “mush mouthy”. After raising the mic. gain up 100% and a Comp to 5 they said it’s “a little better.” So, off it want to get; shall we say to get his “mush mouthy” remove so he can sing in soprano. The other item is no antenna tuner, actually it’s “rig” tuner. No wait, it’s a “antenna & rig tuner”. Well anyway, it doesn’t have one. I thinks Icom should really look in to the next generation of the IC-7200 with a tuner. They can give it the model number IC-7200ART.

One other thing I noticed was the newer DC power cords are a little different than the earlier ones. ICOM changed the fuse holders from a white plastic to a black rubber type, like the ones Powerwerx sells, or something similar to it with the rubber cap that fits over the fuse holder. The newer power cords have a small cylindrical device on the positive & negative cables. There about 5¨ from the fuses. There wrapped in heat-shrink and the positive has numerals & lettering -F- (100) the last 0 has a horizontal line through it. The negative has 0 with a line through it, no other markings on it.

My hypothesis is they could be reverse voltage diodes or thermastors.

I have sent an email to ICOM and asking whet these devices are for and what is the function. A week has gone by with no response.

If you have any information of what they are please let us all know and please send to at w6akf at arrl dot net.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2018 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Ham Radio Best Buy !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had 2 of these 7200s... both great radios, easy to use, minimal hidden menu options, nearly everything important that you'd want to use is right on the front panel. Great rig for new guys, operations where operators change frequently like Field Day or contesting, and just a fun, relaxing radio to use every day. Twin bandpass tuning is EXCEPTIONAL! No accessory filters, etc needed. Mic mods are easy to do, just Google for them. Rugged, great looking (especially with the optional front handles), fun radio to have and use daily. Highly recommended !

K1EAR Rating: 4/5 Jun 9, 2018 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought to use while working on my IC 730. RCVR not particularly hot (maybe slightly less so than 730) but quite adequate. Consistently good reports on XMIT audio. Good value at current price ($700s).

G4VRR Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2018 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Great little Radio With Just One Or Two Caveats  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio is not without its faults, yet despite this I am enjoying using it immensely. I find it reprehensible that Icom should see fit to ship it with a microphone that has such unacceptably low output and is of poor tactile quality. I've encountered far better CB mics. However, unlike another correspondent, my response to this was not to eschew Icom product in perpetuity, but rather to procure a second-user Japanese variant of the mic'. When I stop to think about that, it gives me the shivers; it's a little like buying a second hand harmonica. Yuck. Further, this business of having to change mode and power just to tune up and then change the settings back again is just plain daft. Why we have allowed them to get away with it for so long and over so many different radios is beyond me.

To address this inconvenience, I am using the "Tune" button with one of the Molex plug dongle kludges, but there are issues related to that, not least in having to wait for the capacitor to discharge before using the function again. It's not as though this is the first radio from Icom that sports such an ergonomic "accident". It's unforgiveable, but overall (and since fractions of stars to award are not allowed) 5 it has to be since this is better than a four star set. In any event, I suspect other manufacturers are equally keen for us to use their own in-house tuning solutions on their respective offerings?

I believe that the radio languishes somewhere a long way down from the stellar performers at the top of the table regarding first IF image rejection and reciprocal mixing, but I cannot tell that from using it so it's not a deal breaker for me. I wasn't forced to re-mortgage my house to buy it either. Even given my foregoing remarks, I still have no hesitation in recommending it. If you are a cutting edge DX hound or some one that likes to send TEST and 5NN ad infinitum then perhaps this TRX is not for you, but for the rest of us it seems like a cracking little radio to me.

Perhaps Icom could be persuaded to issue a firmware patch that might address one or more of these observations? No, I didn't think so either.

KG4FQF Rating: 2/5 May 23, 2018 19:57 Send this review to a friend
mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a new IC 7200. Came with a mic that was made in China. I have a Ameritron 811H amp. When I select Ritty it will put out 600 to 700 watts of power. When I select SB with normal voice it only put out 200 To 300 Watts. If I yell into the mic the watts will rise to 500 To 600 watts. After reading the reviews on the China mic it makes me sick to think I bought a radio that won't drive the amp because of this mic. Will have to send it off to have it modified. If I had to do this again I would look at another brand of radio. This is the 6th Icom I have purchased . Two of them used and never had this problem. My opinion is this will be the last Icom that I will buy.

LZ1DPN Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2018 07:27 Send this review to a friend
SOLID ROCK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great HF transceiver for all mode/work. If You have money for only 1 transceiver - this is one. For all mode work, for base station, for mobile work, for contesting. Well documented. The sharp of edge, with it's computer connectivity. All You need in one place. I'm lucky men to own this transceiver. Disappointed - they is obviously will be always disappointed with/from something ...