Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 241 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

VK2NZA Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2018 01:09 Send this review to a friend
A solid performer.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of these rigs now and recently sold one on to a younger VK3 for a fair price

I have found the IC-7200 to be excellent value for performance and use mine in an RV alongside an Icom AH-4 and a ZS6BKW or multi tap vertical whip when travelling.
It is built very solidly, having a "rugged nuggety" feel to it with good external protection for controls and rear panel plugs that make it ideal for portable use, although not a real lightweight for backpack use.
The receiver is sensitive and the IF DNR works very well, the reviewer who found the IC-730 receiver performance way better may have a problem with his unit, as I also have owned an IC 730 and a good rig in its day but the IC-7200's receiver is hotter,but maybe not as "sweet" it helps to back off the RF on the lower bands, the IF DSP, notch etc are excellent the twin Passband Tuning is very good and tailoring the selectivity is easy for all modes.
The small front mounted speaker is crisp with good clarity and enough gain, although not that old wide Hammarlund HQ-180 valve sound on AM
An external speaker does undoubtedly improve fidelity, but remember this is an effective communications weapon not Hi Fi.
The lack of an antenna tuner doesn't worry me as most inbuilt tuners are fairly narrow in their SWR range and the Icom AH-4 is very capable and wide ranging.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the display is kinda small, smaller than the IC 718 but not unreadable and displays all the info required, 1 khz readout, logical easy menu selection, voice synthesizer if visually impaired, and 201 memories.
I have also owned an IC 718, also great value however the IC7200 IMHO has a "hotter" receiver and standard IF DSP Vs AF DSP (optional in the IC-718), and the difference is noticeable, also much better selectivity options.
I have several more sophisticated transceivers in the shack, including an FT-1000D, an IC 765, 2 IC 7410's and a Kenwood TS-480 Sat but the Ic 7200 hears as well as the others although maybe not a competition grade rig.
Rock solid under stressed finals and good cooling with the chassis design.
It has a punchy voice processor and I've received good feedback on audio copy.
Its design is a unique approach to a military style design and I have the feeling of being able to "manhandle" it a more than other rigs.
Its solid!
Neither of my 7200's are the later 4 wire power cord models but the earlier 6 wire plugged models, Serial no's 00896**. 02041* both have been very reliable and I have had no faults with either, performance between both is identical.
IMHO one of the best performance for cost transceivers available and the 4.85 star rating says something about the rig.

W0VET Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2018 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Good transceiver for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
To be brief, the 7200 performs very well for my purpose to rag chew and occasional contesting thus a 5 rating. One feature I am currently preparing to use is the digital mode, which appears to be pretty intuitive. Since owning the rig, I have connected a vertical, beam, and a couple wire configurations and it does not even hiccup.

N6MWA Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2018 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my IC-7200 for about two years. So far it has delivered excellent performance. The build quality is very good. Has a very flexible IF filter section and the Noise reduction circuit works well. Wish it had a built-in tuner but it works fine with my LDG IT-100 external tuner. It's rugged enough to take to field day and it provides surprisingly good in the shack. Have also used it for PSK31 operation and with the built-in USB interface, it's a snap to get it going on digital modes.

WB9VKM Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2018 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed   Time owned: more than 12 months
With all the hype about this radio I bought one to replace a IC 730. The receive audio from the internal speaker does not come close to the 730. Using the same antenna on 40 meters I could hear a signal on SSB,no needle movement but readable on the 730 - could not even tell he was there on the 7200.When trying to work a station on 20,again same antenna the other station could not copy me on the 7200,switched to the 730 and he came back adding did I turn a amp on.Sure the dual pass band tuning and infinite adjustments are great but it falls short for me.It sits collecting dust.Maybe its better on digital modes?

KF5ZJF Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2018 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Great value and performance!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The IC-7200 is a 5+. I moved to this from an IC-718 and a Kenwood TS-440sat. Also used a Yaesu FT-817nd. I liked all three of them but this IC-7200 is my favorite. More sensitive receiver but less noise sensitivity than the others, easy menu to navigate and great filtering. I love the twin PBT. It seems to have everything I need plus a lot more. I don't think it can be beat when it comes to value for the price. There is a lot to love here!

W3DP Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2017 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Great full QSK CW operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC-7200 is my first Icom radio. I am impressed by the receiver sensitivity and DSP filtering. I operate 95% CW and recently started using it in full QSK and to my surprise it's outstanding! Very smooth without any receiver pumping or thumping of the AGC. A great CW operators tranceiver at under $1000 is hard to beat. Glad to see it's back in production. Simple to setup and operate.

VK3LBT Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2017 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just bought a secondhand IC7200 in mint condition from a VK2 at an extremely good price. My buying this radio was based on the reviews and specifically for data modes. Having had it running on HF I am very impressed with the PBT, and filters. I have briefly attached a Heil Goldline microphone through a small mixer with very good audio reports.
The receiver is all I can ask for and is quite sensitive and selective. The front firing speaker would be passable in the field but a decent external speaker is required in the shack for a more rounded audio experience.

On data modes after downloading the software and some issues with Windows 10 (worst windows to date in my opinion)
I got the 7200 to work, this again is impressive when you consider the price for a new unit and what has been packed into the radio it is good value for money. I am enjoying the data modes which are a relatively new area of the hobby for me and a learning curve.

One concern I had initially was the size of the display, however it is easy to read, displays the necessary information and is not as small as I envisaged.

I like the commercial/military design, no nonsense easy to navigate.
A good sturdy and practical radio in an affordable price range one of the better Icoms I have owned.

Cheers VK3LBT Barry

KC4BW Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2017 05:24 Send this review to a friend
This is a great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just wanted to give everyone a little tip that will make it easier and faster to change from one band to another.
I noticed K1VCT mentioned that he doesn't like the band select buttons where you have to do the long and short presses, etc when changing bands.
When I purchased my 7200 the first thing I did was program each band from 160 to 6m into a memory slot. At that point if you leave the radio in memory mode all you have to do is use the multi-function knob to switch from one band to another. I mainly use SSB so I programmed each memory slot for the middle of the phone band on each band. Once I am on the band I want I can then simply use the VFO to go up and down the band as per usual. For example, if I am on 75m and I want to QSY to 40m all I have to do is turn the multi-function knob one click clockwise and I'm there.
I won't go into details here about how to set your radio up to operate this way, as the manual gives all the info you need to do what I did.
I have not had to use the band select buttons on my radio to change bands since I did the programming. I don't use the VFO mode either, I just leave it in memory mode.
As has already been said, this radio is easy to use, and some of the programming can make it even easier.

KB4DU Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2017 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Choice for HF  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does exactly what it is designed to do, and everything I want it to do.

O Extremely rugged. I had 50 NPOTA activations with it, worked every time. The optional handles really help for portable operation. All the knobs and buttons feel very sturdy. Oh, and its weather resistant with sealed buttons and knobs.

O The DSP filters in the IF are variable to any reasonable bandwidth for each mode. Using Digipan to view filter effectiveness shows the are right on.

O The DSP noise reduction is adjustable and very effective. The automatic noise reduction is amazing on single frequency audio, like the tuner uppers that like to park on a nearby frequency.

O The passband tuning is very effective in reducing interference from adjacent signals and is very intuitive to use with the two concentric knobs.

O Band selection is quick and easy, with the previous frequency, mode and filter settings memorized.

O Audio on receive and transmit is very clear. Although there are no audio EQ adjustments available, I received numerous compliments on the transmit audio. The internal speaker provide clear audio at higher levels needed for outside portable operation.

O Dial accuracy is excellent. The Frequency readout can be displayed to 1 Hz. Using the frequency readout and Digipan, I measured the ARRL Frequency test to .4 Hz.

The only negative for me is the (sealed) numeric keypad buttons aren't lighted, so some aux lighting is needed.

LZ1DPN Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2017 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought it second hand from eBay, with full set (with LDG IT-100 tuner). Wonderful rig with great PC connectivity, and N1MM+ logger support. I'm very pleased with this combination. Ideal for base station and for mobile activity. I often participate in HAM contests with him. Wonderful choice.