Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M Help

Reviews Summary for Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M
Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M Reviews: 62 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Samlex 30 Amp continuous switching power supply with or without meters.
More info: http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/productdescription.asp?ProductsID=36025

You can write your own review of the Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M.

N1OEY Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2019 23:22 Send this review to a friend
Good PS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just recently ordered two for a new shack setup. The first one came and was pinning the Voltmeter so a quick check with a multimeter showed exactly 13.83 volts so a quick adjustment on the meter resolved that issue.

The second one arrived and no meter adjustment was required it too sat at exactly 13.83 Volts. Haven't really used them enough yet to determine fan noise but I was impressed with how quickly they did respond to an email on a different topic.

The engineer that answered also offered his personal contact info if I had any further questions. That type of service lacks today.

KE4IZA Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2019 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Power Supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this Samlex sec-1235m yesterday to replace a badly humming Astron 35M. Runs cool, meters appear accurate and the foot print is perfect. Being $80 cheaper than a equivalent Astron was also a plus. Have found no RFI yet.

My only grip is the way you are required to connect to this power supply. For lack of a better idea, I stripped and twisted the wire, inserted into hole and tightened set screw on both sides. It works but ..........
Has anyone come up with an ingenious way of connecting the power wires?

K4EQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2018 22:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Power Supplies  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Samlex SEC-1235, a SEC-1235M, and a SPS-1204UL, all of which I've used for several years. No hash, low fan noise, no problems! I'm very satisfied with these power supplies.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2018 23:40 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
ive been using the newer version 1235m with the white letteing saying samlex power. mine is 2 years old and has been excellent powering a rigrunner with numerous radios and goodies attached to it. yes,the fan comes on periodically,as do many other brands. no louder then the rest.and the meters do seem to be a tad off,but im overall real happy with this supply. I ordered another one to power another station I have in the shop. got rid of all my linear astrons to aquire more space,and get efficient power in times of increasing power bills. my suppy gets plenty of use.... 5 stars

N5LB Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2018 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Good Power Supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Small, light and so fat reliable. I went searching the HF spectrum for noise or hash and found none. I compared the noise floor using the Samlex and an Astron linear supply and found no difference.

The terminal blocks are not what I am accustomed to using, though once connected they seem solid. Samlex provides two crimp/solder pins to the DC cable but of course having ruined the first cable two pins were not enough. They do work fine on #10. I made solder ends to fit in the terminal blocks and this seems to work.

It is so small and light that it is now located within a foot of the rig keeping cables short.

AA8HS Rating: 3/5 Jun 12, 2018 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Died after 3 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was a very reliable unit while I owned it until I started doing digital modes like JT8. The fan started running all the time although I was only running the Kenwood Ts-590 at 5 watts but sometimes for a couple of minutes with WSPR transmissions. Then the PS just died! It has a 3 year warranty and I need to contact HRO to find out if the warranty is still in effect. Prior to the last month, the fan rarely came on.

WA1EDN Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2017 18:10 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the SEC1235M to run a Kenwood TS590SG and have never had any problems at all. However I accidently cracked the left side meter plastic cover into several pieces. When I emailed Samlex about buying a new cover, they sent me one for free!

WA8KOQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2017 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Super power supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Must say NA6O is right about the Nanoxia
NDS60 fan, it is inaudible. I put it in and don't hear a thing now.This supply is clean and it runs cool, not even lukewarm. Highly reccommend it.

K1EAR Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2017 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Does the job...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Use to power small (450 W PEP) linear. Buzzes and rattles a bit as it approaches maximum (35 amp) current but that does not seem to affect the signal. Good supply for the money...

NA6O Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2016 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Compact, reliable, great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We have 5 of these in service at our contest station and they have worked flawlessly for years, so I got one for home. Very compact. Bought the one without meters for $121 with free shipping thru radiodan.com. Excellent build quality. Components are well-supported and adhesives are applied in many places for extra stabilization.

I upgraded the filtering per W0QE, because I can! Detailed measurements with my spectrum analyzer show that the switching freq is 67 kHz. Spikes on the output are 6 uV at 2 MHz and decay quickly above that. This is a very quiet supply to begin with, and a bit of added filtering assures it will be undetectable.

Another big improvement is to replace the fan with an ultra-quiet model. Any standard 60mm 12V fan will fit. An excellent choice is a Nanoxia NDS60-2000. It is absolutely inaudible. I set it up with 200 ohms to the negative output so that it runs at half-speed continuously, as suggested by AD5X. I also glued on air conditioner filter material over the side vents to prevent it from inhaling dust in my very dirty woodshop/shack. Ultra-quiet fans and filters are my standard upgrade on ALL equipment and it really pays off.