Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Collins Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Collins Radio
Collins Radio Reviews: 99 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: For all your Collins repair and restoration needs, please contact me.

My speciality is the S-Line and KWM-2 equipment. Collins parts on stock, both new and used - please inquire on availability or from other sources. I know that many of you are new to Collins so if I can assist you, please feel free to call me at (814) 487-4403.

Also, allow me to assist you in buying or selling your Collins.

We are located near Johnstown, Pennsylvania, 70 miles east of Pittsburgh. Visitors to the Collins Radio Center are always welcome Drop off your Collins for repair/restoration if you wish.

Thank you - David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA, editor of the Collins Journal and secretary to the CRA.

Join the largest Collins organization in the world today at www collinsra.com. Our email address is collinsradio@comcast.net

More info: http://collinsra.org/home/

You can write your own review of the Collins Radio.

K0SDG Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2019 03:06 Send this review to a friend
David made my 75S-3 look and perform like new!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm a bit late getting this review out, but I want to say how David Knepper did a fantastic job cleaning, repairing and aligning my early WE 75S-3 receiver for me this past June. It had lived in a smoking environment for many years before I acquired it and it looked (and smelled) like it inside and out. When I got it back from W3ST, however, it positively sparkled! Not only that, but it performed wonderfully across all the bands (such as they are these days).

David has a knowledge base steeped in decades of experience, is personable, very reasonable with his rates and is a man of his word. I enjoyed our chats, learned quite a bit, had my expectations surpassed on the repair and gained a friend to boot. I could not have asked for anything more.

K4MO Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2019 17:01 Send this review to a friend
KWM2-A Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dave did a great job getting one of my KWM2-A's back on the air. He was able to make the PTO as smooth a silk and get the whole rig running in top form. Highly recommended!

K5TNL Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2018 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Professional Operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I called Dave about my Collins set. The 75s-1 needed alignment and an overall lookover from work I had done. We talked for a while about various things. He is a genuinely nice guy who knows his stuff when it comes to Collins. I sent in my 75s-1 and got a phone call within a day or so of it getting there, telling me it was ready to be shipped back. He tuned up the PTO and lubed it. He checked it all out and made various repairs as well as touching up the cabinet with paint and putting new rubber feet on it. I got a list and explanation of all the work he did which I though was nice. All the freq's are spot on and the radio works great. I have now sent in my 32s-1 to him for repair. (I packed the radios for shipment in a pelican case which worked out nicely.)

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2018 14:23 Send this review to a friend
An Officer and a Gentleman  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
David really is a retired officer in our armed forces and definitely a gentleman. His restoration work is meticulous with extreme attention to detail. His labor rates are very reasonable. I feel that David and I have become friends during the course of my Collins KWM2a restoration. His work comes highly recommended.

Thanks Dave.

AG4CN Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2018 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Hardly Recognize It!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a used KWM-2A from a seller overseas. It was in poor shape both physically and operationally. Of course Dave went above and beyond what I expected to get it straightened out. It is in tip top shape now with a new paint job on the case. He also took care of some stubborn scuffs on the face. It puts out the power it is supposed to and receives very well. He also put in additional crystals in the upper deck for me. In addition to all the radio work he spruced up a 516F-2 for me as well. Looks almost new. This was all at a very reasonable price. Would recommend using Dave for your Collins or other radio repairs.

WA3ZKI Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2018 00:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellence in every way  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am writing this endorsement of Daveís excellent work on my Collins 32S-3 transmitter. When I sent this radio to him it was literally in near Ďjunkerí condition. Dave examined the transmitter and accurately described the extent of its condition to me. He was initially doubtful of its restoration at the time. Not to worry. Within one week of sending it to him, during which time he was in frequent communication with me, he had the the 32S-3 in perfect working order. He said that he put in six to eight hours in going over the radio and even provided preventative corrections to preclude the possibility of further problems down the road. His price was extremely reasonable and I now have what is a new transmitter. This endorsement would not be complete if I did not include my getting to know Dave at a personal level. He was a pleasure to deal with and I feel that I have developed a new friendship. I extended to him an invitation to lunch if he is ever in the Cherry Hill, NJ area (my treat of course). Again, thank you Dave.
Alan, WA3ZKI.

K2TW Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2018 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Great job, S-Line now looks and works like new  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I can't thank Dave W3ST enough for the terrific job he did bringing my 32S3 and 75S3B back to life.

I purchased the rigs from an estate so the operating condition was unknown, but they had been collecting dust for many many years. After a general cleanup and replacement of the electrolytics it was time to send them to an expert for refurb and alignment.

Dave resolved all the issues I had identified, plus quite a few more. And the cost was more than reasonable. He is very meticulous and will not call the job done until the radio is looking and working exactly as it should.

I picked the radios up at Dave's shop and am pleased to report that he is truly a gentleman who loves restoring Collins radios. I appreciate the hospitality he showed me during my visit and feel I have made a friend. If ever I need help with a Collins rig in the future Dave will be the first one I call.

K4BSK Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2018 12:47 Send this review to a friend
32s3 repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Dave did a great job with my 32S3. He met the tedious challenge of replacing the failed antenna change over relay. He was not satisfied just addressing the electrical needs. He meticulously cleaned the chassis and case. I appreciated his phone calls to keep me informed of progress. I now have a new friend.

W6RKE Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2018 20:14 Send this review to a friend
75S-1 repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
When one has a respected Collins piece of equipment, it is a privilege appreciated by others who share your same good fortune.

If the time comes that your Collins needs attention beyond your capabilities, you must seek the most qualified person. I was fortunate to learn of David Knepper W3ST.

My Collins 75S-1 belonged to a childhood friend who was given it by his parents in either 1959 or 1960 when he got his license. He and I would delight in using it during our start of our amateur radio days.

In the early 2000ís, I was able to get this receiver from him and after so many years, it needed some attention. Here is where David Knepper entered the picture.

David and I had several cordial phone conversations and I sent my receiver to him. He gave it his careful examination and has restored it to proper operating condition. In addition to Davidís Collins expertise, he is guided with a strong desire to keep this equipment in the hands of people who appreciate it.

During the service, the PTO was disassembled, cleaned, given proper lubrication. Several components were replaced. The receiver was given a proper alignment and proof of performance according to Collins specifications.

KE8FLM Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2017 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Superb Repairman, Gentleman and Scholar   Time owned: more than 12 months
Dave recently serviced my prized Collins 51J-4 receiver that I purchased off eBay. The radio had not been aligned since 1997. I dropped the boat anchor off at his shop/museum nestled in the beautiful Allegheny Mountain region of Pennsylvania. Dave was a great communicator and gave me a weekly progress report on its condition. The unit was only out of service for less than a month. Dave also arrange to have my radio shipped back to me by one of his friends who was passing threw the state at the time. This was definitely above and beyond the call of duty. Once the radio was in my possession Iíd have to say it was like new electrically and mechanically. And like a true craftsman you could not tell the receiver was opened up. The opportunity to take advantage of his years of experience, vast knowledge and skill on a vintage piece of equipment is truly a rare find in todayís electronic age.