Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Collins Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Collins Radio
Collins Radio Reviews: 102 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: For all your Collins repair and restoration needs, please contact me.

My speciality is the S-Line and KWM-2 equipment. Collins parts on stock, both new and used - please inquire on availability or from other sources. I know that many of you are new to Collins so if I can assist you, please feel free to call me at (814) 487-4403.

Also, allow me to assist you in buying or selling your Collins.

We are located near Johnstown, Pennsylvania, 70 miles east of Pittsburgh. Visitors to the Collins Radio Center are always welcome Drop off your Collins for repair/restoration if you wish.

Thank you - David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA, editor of the Collins Journal and secretary to the CRA.

Join the largest Collins organization in the world today at www collinsra.com. Our email address is collinsradio@comcast.net

More info: http://collinsra.org/home/

You can write your own review of the Collins Radio.

K3MA Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2019 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dave checked out my 74A-4 and found a few tubes needed to be replaced and did a realignment. It now works like the day it left the factory.

Reasonable, responsive and a man of integrity.

K5TNL Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2019 03:59 Send this review to a friend
75S-1 Repair/Tune  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my 75S-1 to Dave for repair and tuneup. He looked it over and found some issues with the band switch, which he repaired. As well as some other miscellaneous problems that were causing some oscillation, etc. I had previously had him work on a 32S-1. Everything is now up and running great. Along the way, I've gotten to know him fairly well and consider him a friend, through our several phone conversations. His pricing is very reasonable with a 'do unto others' attitude.

WB2NEW Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2019 14:39 Send this review to a friend
KWM2A repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dave did a good job in reasonable time. I have a very old 2A that finally died on me. I couldn't find the problem. After the second trip to Dave it is working fine. He also is very reasonable with pricing for the repair.

K0SDG Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2019 03:06 Send this review to a friend
David made my 75S-3 look and perform like new!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm a bit late getting this review out, but I want to say how David Knepper did a fantastic job cleaning, repairing and aligning my early WE 75S-3 receiver for me this past June. It had lived in a smoking environment for many years before I acquired it and it looked (and smelled) like it inside and out. When I got it back from W3ST, however, it positively sparkled! Not only that, but it performed wonderfully across all the bands (such as they are these days).

David has a knowledge base steeped in decades of experience, is personable, very reasonable with his rates and is a man of his word. I enjoyed our chats, learned quite a bit, had my expectations surpassed on the repair and gained a friend to boot. I could not have asked for anything more.

K4MO Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2019 17:01 Send this review to a friend
KWM2-A Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dave did a great job getting one of my KWM2-A's back on the air. He was able to make the PTO as smooth a silk and get the whole rig running in top form. Highly recommended!

K5TNL Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2018 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Professional Operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I called Dave about my Collins set. The 75s-1 needed alignment and an overall lookover from work I had done. We talked for a while about various things. He is a genuinely nice guy who knows his stuff when it comes to Collins. I sent in my 75s-1 and got a phone call within a day or so of it getting there, telling me it was ready to be shipped back. He tuned up the PTO and lubed it. He checked it all out and made various repairs as well as touching up the cabinet with paint and putting new rubber feet on it. I got a list and explanation of all the work he did which I though was nice. All the freq's are spot on and the radio works great. I have now sent in my 32s-1 to him for repair. (I packed the radios for shipment in a pelican case which worked out nicely.)

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2018 14:23 Send this review to a friend
An Officer and a Gentleman  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
David really is a retired officer in our armed forces and definitely a gentleman. His restoration work is meticulous with extreme attention to detail. His labor rates are very reasonable. I feel that David and I have become friends during the course of my Collins KWM2a restoration. His work comes highly recommended.

Thanks Dave.

AG4CN Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2018 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Hardly Recognize It!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a used KWM-2A from a seller overseas. It was in poor shape both physically and operationally. Of course Dave went above and beyond what I expected to get it straightened out. It is in tip top shape now with a new paint job on the case. He also took care of some stubborn scuffs on the face. It puts out the power it is supposed to and receives very well. He also put in additional crystals in the upper deck for me. In addition to all the radio work he spruced up a 516F-2 for me as well. Looks almost new. This was all at a very reasonable price. Would recommend using Dave for your Collins or other radio repairs.

WA3ZKI Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2018 00:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellence in every way  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am writing this endorsement of Dave’s excellent work on my Collins 32S-3 transmitter. When I sent this radio to him it was literally in near ‘junker’ condition. Dave examined the transmitter and accurately described the extent of its condition to me. He was initially doubtful of its restoration at the time. Not to worry. Within one week of sending it to him, during which time he was in frequent communication with me, he had the the 32S-3 in perfect working order. He said that he put in six to eight hours in going over the radio and even provided preventative corrections to preclude the possibility of further problems down the road. His price was extremely reasonable and I now have what is a new transmitter. This endorsement would not be complete if I did not include my getting to know Dave at a personal level. He was a pleasure to deal with and I feel that I have developed a new friendship. I extended to him an invitation to lunch if he is ever in the Cherry Hill, NJ area (my treat of course). Again, thank you Dave.
Alan, WA3ZKI.

K2TW Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2018 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Great job, S-Line now looks and works like new  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I can't thank Dave W3ST enough for the terrific job he did bringing my 32S3 and 75S3B back to life.

I purchased the rigs from an estate so the operating condition was unknown, but they had been collecting dust for many many years. After a general cleanup and replacement of the electrolytics it was time to send them to an expert for refurb and alignment.

Dave resolved all the issues I had identified, plus quite a few more. And the cost was more than reasonable. He is very meticulous and will not call the job done until the radio is looking and working exactly as it should.

I picked the radios up at Dave's shop and am pleased to report that he is truly a gentleman who loves restoring Collins radios. I appreciate the hospitality he showed me during my visit and feel I have made a friend. If ever I need help with a Collins rig in the future Dave will be the first one I call.