Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Watson W-2000 Triple Gainer Tri Band Colinear Help

Reviews Summary for Watson W-2000 Triple Gainer Tri Band Colinear
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $120 approx (59 UK)
Description: 2.5m long 150W tri band 6/2/70cm antenna.
Gains: 50MHz - 2.15dB, 144MHz - 6.2dB, 430MHz - 8.4dB

You can write your own review of the Watson W-2000 Triple Gainer Tri Band Colinear.

M0ICG Rating: 2/5 Apr 23, 2018 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Performs well but not weatherproof  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 Watson W-2000 and they both leaked badly at both the screw join and the top. I first realised there was a problem when the VSWR went high, I took the antenna down and found that the supporting foams were sodden. Put a second brand new W-2000 up and checked after a few weeks and the foams were wet too. I first tried using silicon sealant to weatherproof the antenna but that didn't work. I then tried using Amalgam tape over the screw join which worked for the lower half but the top foams were still getting wet so had to seal the top too.

From an RF performance perspective the antenna performs well including on 6m with 59 QSOs into Eastern Ukraine and further afield during sporadic E lifts. Whilst I think I have found the secret to weatherproofing the antenna I am replacing it with a Comet GP15 for peace of mind and will use the W-2000s for portable operations.

G4IPZ Rating: 3/5 Jun 6, 2010 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Longer term review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having had this antenna up for 2 years I felt I needed to add some further points to my original review prompted by a couple of questions that have been raised and from my experiences.

As for reliability (and fingers crossed) mine has suffered no failures due to windage, weather etc.
It has also been moved a couple of times during building work and has also not suffered.

However I have realised that this antenna seems inherently noisy on 6M whilst 2M and 70cms are fine.

Comparing it between my 1/2 size G5RV also used on 6M and allowing for the vertical/horizontal comparison losses, the 5RV works better on vertical polarised signals than the W2000 when the background noise is considered.

While looking on the web I came across the following site http://ea4eoz.ure.es/v2000.html which concerns a modification to the radials of this antenna, part of which improves the noise problem. Having merely 'bodge' trialled this mod I will be installing 3 new radials when my antenna is installed permanently in it's new position.
I am still quite happy with this antenna but I think the compromise over the radials knocks it's overall score down simply to OK.