Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-microphone Headsets | YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE Help

Reviews Summary for YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE
YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $60.
Description: Double side headphones with boom microphone

You can write your own review of the YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE.

KC4VO Rating: 1/5 Jun 13, 2019 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Used to be great, but something has changed in the last year  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Yamaha CM500 headset with mic for many years, first on my Icom IC 7300 and most recently on my Icom IC 7610. I have found them to be excellent performers - good quality audio from the mic (with a little eq from the radio), comfortable to wear and very affordable. Recently, my good friend KP2XX (who also uses the CM500 on his Icom IC 7300) and I both bought new ones. This was both his and my third pair of headphones. Immediately, we both detected a problem with the new ones. The new headphones had was so bass heavy as to make them nearly unintelligible on the air. This problem was compounded by a much larger proximity effect from the microphone (electret condenser mic with a cardioid pattern) than was present on the older pairs, so much so that the boom had to be fully extended fully away from the mouth to reduce the bass to usable levels. On the Icom radios, reducing the bass eq to -5 and the treble eq to +5 (there is no parametric eq on Icom radios) only made the transmitted audio barely acceptable. A direct comparison between the two newly purchased pairs with the three older pairs (all over 1-year-old) confirmed that there was a huge difference in the quality and intelligibility of the audio on the older pairs versus both new pairs. All the older pairs sounded great on the air (with modest eq adjustments on the radio), while all the newer pairs were marginal at best. We can only theorize that Yamaha may have changed the microphone element that are using. We also tried using battery bias (3V) using the supplied battery adapter versus using the bias supplied on by the radios (8V). We noted that using radio bias actually made the bass problem worse for some reason. While the new CM500 may be perfectly acceptable for uses such as pod casting or Skype, both KP2XX and I cannot recommend them any longer for use in amateur radio.

WB7DND Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2019 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Very Comfortable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I only operate cw so have no opinion on the mic, except to say that it easily folds up out of the way. These block out room noise well and are easy to wear for extended periods. They certainly enable me to focus on code characters without outside interference. Contrary to another reviewer's experience, I have had no problem regarding the headband holding a position.
Easily a solid 5.

AJ4XM Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2018 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Great with KX3  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got these for my KX3 because they were lightweight and inexpensive. I could have gone with something lighter weight but I like the cover my ears feel and sound of these for QRP work. The audio quality is great both listening and talking, They come with a inline power supply if needed and I have used that with them on my PC for work with a DV Dongle and with Dragon Naturally speaking for writing. (I have 2 pairs of Logitech I use for that also but these work better and I get 99.9% accuracy vs 95% with the Logitech). Fir the cost these can't be beat. I also have Heil Proset Plus for my Yaesu desktop and Heil PRO7-IC for my Icom. I would rate the overall audio quality comparable. For my KX3 this Yamaha was a better choice.

NW0LF Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2018 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received one this past December as a birthday gift. It replaces a Heil BC-10 Traveler. I get good audio reports with it on my Yaesu FT-1000MP and a W2ENY adapter without needing the battery back. Not sure about head band problems. I adjusted it the first time I put it on and it has stayed in that position. I put them on and adjust the mic boom and away I go. I was constantly adjusting the Traveler. I absolutely love the over the ear configuration. I shut out all the noise in the House. My wife has to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention. I would definitely purchase this again.

73, Wolfie, NW0LF

W9AC Rating: 2/5 Jan 28, 2017 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Needs Help  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Sorry to go against the wave of positive reviews. My chief complaint is that the headband won't maintain its adjustment. Each time the set is worn, I find that the adjustable band has collapsed to its minimum position; there's no means to hold the position in place like other headphones. Of course, this has no effect on audio quality but I find the constant adjusting to be a nuisance.

The second issue is that ear isolation is marginal. Every other inexpensive headset I own has a better fit around the ear - mine at least.

On a positive note, receive and transmit audio quality is good.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2016 06:34 Send this review to a friend
CM500 / Koss SB45  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review of these headphones. I did a lot of mic testing with my Icom 7300 prior to this weekends VHF contest. In addition to these 2 headsets, I also tested several hand-held mics like the Radio Shack 33-3001, Audio-Technica ATR-30, and the Axis CM-3. These mics work fine with my Icom radios using the XLR to Icom cables available most everywhere.

Please note, I did NOT try to adjust the mic settings in the radio. I just listened to my own signal on another radio.

While the hand held mics are good, the Koss and Yamaha are EXCELLENT. The mics are very hot and have nice, full sound. The on-air reports have been outstand as well!

They might not be military grade rugged, but they WORK great.

ron
N4UE

K4RKY Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2016 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had mine only a few weeks using them on my Kenwwood TS-140S but the headset works so good I will definitely buy another set. Found the complete set including the battery box for 59.99 with free shipping. But, don't talk too loud with them because the mic is really hot. The only problem I had was I needed to add a mono to stereo adapter (was not included) inline with the mic. Comfortable and great sound and I get excellent audio reports.

2M0YIO Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2016 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: months
I am using Yamaha cm_500 headset it has electric condenser mic element.I am using it with my yaesu ftdx 3000 I get great audio reports so get ready to turn your mic gain and processor levels down mic very hot wouldent buy heil again this headset a lot cheaper and very comfortable to where for long periods buy 1 you won't regret it regards 2m0yio brian

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2015 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Great headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the Koss SB40, same headset but less money. Excellent comfort, great audio on receive and the TX is very clean. I use them on my FT950 and good reports of great audio.

You can by three of these headsets for the price of one of the other well known brands, but are no where near as comfortable or durable as this headset.

K7ABV Rating: 3/5 Mar 24, 2015 10:34 Send this review to a friend
ymmv --my .02 cents worth  Time owned: more than 12 months
On my 4th pair of CM-500's since 2011, use them off and on with the Yaesu FTDX-5000, FT1000D and FT-1000MK5..the microphone went bad on 3 sets...seems the pivot point is where they might break down...tricky to fix, so I didn't mess with it...I use W2ENY adapter , works great...I like these phones, very cumfy for long periods in contests..turn mike down of the rig and no problem..like the summary said YMMV.good DX