Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-microphone Headsets | YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE Help

Reviews Summary for YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE
YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $60.
Description: Double side headphones with boom microphone

You can write your own review of the YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE.

K7ABV Rating: 3/5 Mar 24, 2015 10:34 Send this review to a friend
ymmv --my .02 cents worth  Time owned: more than 12 months
On my 4th pair of CM-500's since 2011, use them off and on with the Yaesu FTDX-5000, FT1000D and FT-1000MK5..the microphone went bad on 3 sets...seems the pivot point is where they might break down...tricky to fix, so I didn't mess with it...I use W2ENY adapter , works great...I like these phones, very cumfy for long periods in contests..turn mike down of the rig and no problem..like the summary said YMMV.good DX

NT5Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic-Headset for the $$  Time owned: more than 12 months
I needed a mic-headset combination for portable use and field day. I use it with my K3 and TS480 and get great reports. I bought the W2ENY adapter for the 8 pin connection to the K3 and one for the TS480. Headset is very comfortable over long periods (think field day) and easy to carry in the RV. Definitely worth the money.

N1GMV Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2015 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Works great with the IC7600  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What can I say, it is a condenser microphone and a comfy set of headphones that go completely around your ears. I use the same audio levels on my radio as I do with the Icom microphone, didn't have to change a thing.
I got my headphones from Amazon and went with the K6VHF's 8 Pin Icom adapter from Ebay to connect it to the radio.
All total about $75

N2UJN Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2014 03:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Audio, High Output Electret, Extremely Comfortable  Time owned: months
I own and use an FT-1000MP.

Although the MP does not have an equalizer, the 1000MP does, with EDSP, have five different transmit "EDSP" microphone settings. These settings are: OFF, 1, 2, 3, 4. OFF is pass through of the audio from the microphone, same as EDSP off. Two low cut, higher frequency microphone outputs, EDSP 1, 2 can be used for contesting. Additionally, two high cut, lower frequency, filtered, 3, 4 can be used for ragchew. All of these have a very excellent noise filtering (can hear efficacy by comparing OFF with 3 with furnace on in background) for the mic. Menu 4-4 controls these settings on the FT-1000MP. These varied audio settings are a key feature to preserve with audio mods.

I bought and used the MP with the hand mic for more than one year, then, purchased a Heil Proset Elite 6 with foot switch.

The hand microphone (acoustic element) did offer good audio quality and good power output for all settings of EDSP transmit audio. Measured PO was smaller for the higher frequency outputs (expected for SSB), best power out with setting 3 (lowest frequency voice rendition).

However, when I switched over to the Heil Proset Elite, the Heil Mic only enabled good power output above 5W for OFF and EDSP 3. To be fair, for these settings, the audio and PO was excellent. But, the Heil element just could not offer enough input for the MP EDSP settings 1,2 and 4 to output more than 5W. I could barely get the ALC to deflect upward at all with the Heil for those settings. So, I sent the Heil back and stayed with the hand mic. No need to lose the entire EDSP transmit audio feature on the MP just to switch over to Heil.

A friend of mine, K2RNY, suggested the Yamaha CM500 headset. This is an 'electret' microphone, which, as I read reviews, is generally perceived as not as good as an acoustically driven microphone like the Heil.

However, the electret microphone on the CM500 offers three attributes that make it an absolutely spectacular microphone/headset on the 1000MP:

1) it has a high output drive from the amplified electret microphone.
2) It has very, very good audio frequency response.
3) Unlike the Heil Proset Elite, the CM500 is comfortable and offers "forgettable" wearing (you forget it is on).

When CM500 is hooked up to the MP, I can adjust the MP microphone gain to obtain well above the ALC deflection needed for each and every EDSP audio setting. So, the high cut EDSP and the low cut can be set to max ALC deflection, and, obtain good power output/audio output with the Yamaha CM500.

The ability to put enough audio drive into the MP to properly adjust the ALC for each EDSP setting is a must have for the 1000MP.

I can hear my audio with the Monitor and, with the EDSP setting 3, the audio is optimal for ragchew, but, I do use the high frequency setting 2 for contesting. I do get, frequently, unsolicited 'great' audio reports with the CM500 headset.

The Heil mic connector would NOT work with the CM500 due to not passing the necessary +5V back to the electret amplifier.

The CM500 DOES come with a battery powered amp drive, which, is removable, to use with radios that do not have +5V.

However, I ordered a connector from http://w2eny.com/adapter/ which does have +5V from the Yaesu radio +5V pin connector back to the electret element. This connector works well, and, has some minimal capacitance filtering it it for RF on the wire to the radio.

One challenge with the electret CM500 mic with my antenna system.

I do not have much "RF in the shack" as defined as common mode current. However, my rig is in the basement below my antenna system which is outside and 30 feet up. The CM500 DID become garbled during transmit due to interference with reception from my transmit antennas.

To resolve: I ordered from Mouser snap on ferrites and added them until the audio output cleared completely up.

My complete audio setup for the CM500, including the w2eny adapter and the Mouser snap on ferrites which result in clean audio is shown at the link below.

Lastly, the Heil headset hurt my head and ears after 10 minutes. The Yamaha CM500 is comfortable for hours (well, I think the longest I have worn them are 3 hours).

These headsets started onto the market in the $40 range, I paid $49. I do still use the Heil footswitch with the system shown in the above photo.

This headset cannot be beat for Amateur Radio audio quality, output, and comfort, and value. For my applications with the 1000MP this headset and mic are perfect. The microphone output is high enough for any radio (ICOM, Yaesu, Elecraft (my friend has this headset on his Elecraft), etc).

K7XDX Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2014 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Search no more  Time owned: more than 12 months
I looked around a bit an ran into the Yamaha CM500
headset. Easy to wear for long sessions. Not heavy. I get excellent reports over and over with nothing added into my Icom 756 pro III. I often get feedback from others that it sounds much better than the dedicated communications headsets. Nice balanced sound without that hard to listen to edge of others. I turn the compression on when I want to punch through.

K2GAV Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2014 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Great value - excellent mic and headset  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one of these for my Elecraft KX3 on the recommendation of a user of both during an on-air conversation. I thought his audio sounded very good.

I paid about $55 total for this headset. I used it with the KX-3 and an adapter and it works great. I made my own adapter for a Kenwood TS-990 and I love using it with a foot switch for PTT.

One note about comments from listeners - there are so many variables from your vocal cords all the way to the listener's ear drums that it's difficult to tell exactly which variable is most critical. I believe your own voice characteristics and the listeners personal preferences are the most influential variables. That's not to discount other significant variables such as the microphone, outboard audio processing gear and your ability to adjust it correctly, your transmitter, your ability to operate your TX properly, mode of modulation, propagation, the receiver, the RX operator's ability and the receiver's speaker/headset/listening environment.

One quality issue on my CM-500 - the microphone arm was flopping around in the swivel mount. I had to jamb a piece of black cable tie into the gap to fix it. This worked very well and is invisible.

Well, hell, it was only $55. It would have gotten a 5 from me except for the QC issue.

W2EG Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2014 16:43 Send this review to a friend
COMFORTABLE - great for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like to do a bit of contesting and so wear the headphones for hours at a time. These are among the VERY few phones I've tried that are comfortable for EXTENDED wear. I got mine for less than $50 and have used them for several years now without a lick of trouble. The mic works fine with my K3. (I must say that I do not do a lot of SSB work.) I won't say these are beautifully constructed of the highest quality materials, but I will say that I like them much better than some much more expensive headphones I've tried. All things considered, I have no hesitation about giving them a '5' rating.

K8JHR Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2014 13:04 Send this review to a friend
OK, I guess... good enough but uninspiring overall  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a headset junkie and while the Yamaha CM-500 is good enough, I don't agree it is worthy of all the fuss and acolades it gets, especially with a $60 price tag.

This a a reasonably well made, comfortable, and durable enough headset for the price, although I have had to repair my friend's set with a new microphone boom, and another friend's set died in the middle of the CQ WW 160 phone contest... but it is not an outstanding performer in any way. Earphone receivers have average, uninspiring sound. The electret condenser mic is a bit hot for most transceivers and should be attenuated, and produces just OK voice reproduction. It is, however no better than virtually any low to medium quality (and cost) computer gaming headset, and I suggest the KOSS SB-45 at 2/3 the cost of the CM-500, is its equal in comfort, durability, and audio performance. Plus KOSS usually provides a limited lifetime guarantee on its products. I do not believe Yamaha does for the CM-500. The guys at the contest shack I sometimes play at, use the SB-45 and CM-500 and consider them equivalent and interchangeable.

No doubt this headset should work OK with your transceiver... I just feel it is overrated and there are loads of other, less expensive gaming headsets which are equal to the task, and which may sound better, overall, at lower price. Compare them to the KOSS SB-40 headset, which sells for around $29 and uses a dynamic microphone that "might" be better suited for use with some transceivers, and draw your own conclusion about build quality, value, and overall performance.

Bottom Line: Just OK, good performing headset, but nothing to get excited over considering the rest of the market. You won't be unhappy with it, but I sold mine and moved on to better models with no regrets.

W5VIN Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2014 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Headset tests  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had purchased a Heil Pro 6 and it seemed uncomfortable after extended use. On a tip from AC0C I bought the Yamaha CM500. I purchased an adapter from W2ENY on ebay for the Yaesu 8 pin mic connector on my FT-2000. The audio was too hot so I added a 30K ohm resistor on pin 8, the center pin and that made the audio drive easy to adjust. During on the air testing I received one negative comment from a Heil lover in a roundtable. I changed headsets several times during the hour long QSO and no one even noticed. The audio looks as clean on the transmit monitor display as any dynamic microphone. AC0C just used an inline mp3 volume control in place of my resistor mod to set the drive level. Just plug and play this way.
This headset is very comfortable to wear and with proper drive level adjustment generates very clean transmit audio. It is an Electret mic driving a transceiver designed for a dynamic microphone.
Over the years I have found eham to be a good barometer of how products are accepted in the amateur radio community.
It may break tomorrow but initial observation gives the Yamaha CM500 a 5.0
Charlie W5VIN

WX2S Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2014 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Good phones, cords a nuisance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Heil ProSet was getting uncomfortable, so I went looking for a set of supra-aural phones and came up with these. Sound quality is fine for communications and the mike works well on my K3. The only real complaint I have is that the V-shaped cord feels uncomfortable. FOr maybe a penny more, Yamaha could have engineered these phones with the cord in the left side only. Still, not bad for the price.