Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-736 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-736
ICOM IC-736 Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1600 - 1800
Description: 160-6Meter Transceiver w/built-in tuner
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-736.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-736.

VK2XQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2018 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Great value...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second IC-736, the first served me well for many years and was used in around six DXCC countries in that time, what was appealing I could hand carry it on to the aircraft and not as check-in luggage.

Only problem I seem to have with this second unit purchased secondhand is that the receiver seems down on NDB and VLF band, signal meter also down around four to five 'S' points compared to IC-R75 and FT-2000D.

Tried changing antenna from 1 to 2 connector and no change, works very well otherwise, any one suggest anything for NDB/VLF section low performance? Good all round base radio and simple to use without confusing multi function buttons.

KU2US Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2018 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Has Everything!  Time owned: more than 12 months
YES it is an older radio, but if you find one in great condition, GET IT! HF+6M at 100 watts. Has all the bells and whistles. A noise blanker that works, RF Attenuater, Freq.shift, pre-amp, AGC, Adjustable power 5 watts to 100 watts, Mic gain, Voice compressor, notch filter, built in antenna tuner, Built in AC power supply, Two separate antenna connectors-6m + HF, RF gain, frequency lock, and mccuh more. All that you would need. A joy to operate. The 736 holds it's value. Selling now for $650-$700..This thing KILLS the IC-718 which is a good little rig W/DSP. (Which I have) Glad I got this.

G7NKS Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2018 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought off an amateur friend. Always fancied having a 736. Not disappointed. Lovely Rx, fuss free tuner, well specified but no overly complex controls/menus. Clean 100w out. Simple, effective and does what it says on the tin. Paid 400 for it. Well pleased. If you want a fuss free well performing HF/6m rig then you can't go wrong with the 736.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 15:05 Send this review to a friend
geeze  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one..and I am still kicking myself for selling it. what a great rig. I should have sold something else when I needed the money..learned a hard lesson.

W0LD Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 11:04 Send this review to a friend
Very good 6 meter radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned one of these in the 90's and just bought one as a back-up for my K3. The audio is easier to listen to than the K3. The selectivity is down from the K3, but not by much. The sensitivity is far better than the K3 without the K3's preamp. Transmit audio is excellent, I use a Heil mic. If you can find one, you will love it.

MM0XXW Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2016 00:05 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a rock ....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If it's lots of bells 'n' whistles you're looking for don't buy this however if you want a rock steady performer grab it with both hands.
The large display screen is easy to read and not cluttered so you can see what's going on at a glance, internal psu is quiet as a mouse and the internal atu is quick and efficient in it's performance.
PBT and Notch filter works flawlessly.
If I had an issue it would be the colour of the writing on the pad/buttons but this has been mentioned already but on a well lit desk it isn't that much of an issue as to reduce points here.
I've had excellent 'on-air' reports regarding the audio, I use an aviation headset, with quite moderate settings and even using the hand mic the audio is very acceptable.
HF-6m with built-in psu and atu ..... what's not to like!
Good examples don't come along to often and when they do they are not expensive to buy, in todays DSP world, however if you come across one you will not regret your purchase one little bit!

G0WHY Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2015 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Welcome back to an old friend   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had one of these when they first came out in the 90's. Terrific radio, which I sold when I acquired an Icom 781. I regretted that and have now managed to source one again for 400 in very good condition. Very happy.

KA1WI Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2015 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Fundamentals at work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought it because I lost patience with MENUE(s), I love menus in good restaurants, not in radios. Second reason DSP radios can't handle noise, they just amplify it. not the good old analog 736, smooth receiver and simple access to the fundamental parameters of ham operation.

I did notice the audio response of the RX was too wide and low audio frequencies were swamping the speech. I found the main selectivity SSB filter FL-30 had been replaced by a much broader filter. I retrofitted it and selectivity is now sharp with enhanced audio.

Another observation, a hardly noticeable hiss is there on receive. This time the problem seems to be more complex. With radio disconnected from the antenna I terminated the antenna radio input with a 50 ohms resistor. The hiss dropped almost gone. The lower bands more prone to
it. This will indicate that an active device is acting as a noise source in the front end of the receiver. When the port is terminated with a 50 ohms resistor the noise energy drops. I suspect one of the switching diodes or perhaps all of them.

Has anyone experienced this problem, I wonder. If I can cure this hiss it will be a fine radio indeed. Other rigs have similar problems traceable to the choice of wrong PIN diodes switching the receiver front end BPFs.

I like the fact the radio has its own power supply. It is very well shielded and causes no detectable noise. I had to replace the AC input filter. Power supply noise was radiating from there, luckily I had a better filter than the original which I assume is defective.

best 73's to all

Jac
KA 1 WI

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2014 19:21 Send this review to a friend
All you need!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio has a beautiful amber display, big s-unit analog meter, PBT and notch that work great, and receives and talks as an Icom should. I love the built in power supply. The radio is rock steady on receive frequency and the internal speaker sounds really loud. The 736 has vox and 6 meters. There are two antenna ports on the back. The tuner works fast. This is a nice sized base radio that is easy to operate and not a strain on your eyes. If you like older radios without all the DSP that get the job done, this is all you need!

K7MYR Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this piece of equipment since the late 90's When I traded a KW TS-690s + cash for it. It has always operated flawlessly!

I have tried ALL the digital modes that FLDIGI has to offer and they worked well every time!

Lately, I have been using it with FREEDV [Digital Voice] and it "just works".

The big display, internal power supply,rock solid stability, 160-6m band coverage, 100w continuous output and internal 160-6 tuner make this rig compare favorably with the newest stuff on the market for a fraction of the price.

I would rate this thing a "10" if that rating was available!