Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet GP-1
Comet GP-1 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $74.99
Description: Small, Dual-Band vertical
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=5&childID=4

You can write your own review of the Comet GP-1.

SWLCHRIS Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2019 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Went through two antenna in 2 years. Got a Arrow GP144\440 at first then a MFJ 1750 5\8 ground plane.
The Arrow suddenly had issues on two meter and 440 wasn't what I expected so replaced with MFJ. The MFJ was a piece of crap and came apart within the first 5 months. It looked to be made out of cheap metal and low quality construction on the few parts that made it up. The ceramic insulator and driven element snapped apart and I just called it quits at that point.
I put the Arrow back up and it was ok for a awhile until I put a new meter inline and saw my power output was hardly anything the radio was rated for.A test with another antenna confirmed it.
Enter the Comet GP1. I got tired of buying cheap antennas to get by and settled on this as the height and price was ok. Got home with this antenna put it up and suddenly I have fully 45 to 50 watts output and hitting repeaters 45 miles away on 2 meters.The TM2550 likes the match and the SWR is flat across the board.Only at the highest end of the band does the SWR go up to 1.3 to 1.4:1.The 2550 hears really well and some stations are now audible that weren't before.
And installation was easy as can be . Just 3 radials screw in, one screw for the aluminum sheath to mount to mast and make sure you coax seal before doing that and you are good to go.
I would recommend this antenna to anyone .

KM6AME Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2019 02:56 Send this review to a friend
Easy to install   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the GP-1 to replace the first antenna I bought which was a cheap dual band by Ed Fong. The GP-1 worked great until a tree with heavy snow on it fell down and took out the antenna for the repeater I was using. I since have bought the GP-3 (not installed yet) hoping I can get a little more distance to reach a repeater thatís about 100 miles away. I will still use the GP-1 at another location, it is just a great antenna. Review for GP-3 will follow.

N1WCL Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2016 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Best for the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had my GP-1 for about 15 years now.
It still looks pretty good and works as well as it did new. It's short and built real good.
I'm thinking about upgrading to the GP-3, but then again why since I'm likely to get 15 more years of service with the GP-1.
If you are looking for a excellent, short dual band the GP-1 could be it.The only thing would question is are they still built as good as they were 15 years ago.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice small dual band inconspicuous antenna...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Replaced a no-gain J-pole, what a difference. It plays well with others, including D-Star with a decent wide band receive.

Mounted on my roof at about 20' more or less, mounted to a vent stack, as was the J-pole.

So if you want a small, inconspicuous antenna with good receive and gain, get one.

M0RIF Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2014 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Quality item  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these antennas for a little over 3 years, and I have just moved it to a new location. All parts in good order, no sign of sunlight damage or corrosion of metal parts. The hardware to fix the antenna in place is well made. Good swr on both bands and looks discrete in service. I would buy again if I needed a second one. Pretty good for wide-band receive too.

W1ZE Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good omnidirectional antenna that does the job.
I have my GP-1 installed at 70-feet atop my tower rotor mast and if i hear them i can work them.
It has been in use for over 5 years and still does the job.

WB3KTW Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2012 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Works Great, as promised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A great antenna for my 2 meter and dual band HT's; either barefoot (2-5 watts) or with amplifiers (30-150) watts. I am very pleased with is performance in the mountains of Northeast PA. as far as hitting the repeaters in my region. Easy to assemble, easy to install, no tuning! Mine is up only about 30 feet and it seems to work just fine.

KC0WEO Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2012 16:51 Send this review to a friend
strong dual bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just received the Comet GP-1, I already have 2 GP-6 antennas which work great. Having recently installed many of these as part of emergency preparedness on schools that function as evacuation shelters in Central Minnesota area.
The coverage was great, with it's solid construction we mounted these on top of the shelters with a 10ft mast. with our snow and wind we feel this is the best choice for long term use.

They have all performed well with 1:1 SWR on a rather long run over 100ft of LMR400

My 2 GP-6's have performed better than expected, no complaints or problems, one has been up for 5-6 years enduring many storms of all types.

So why not use the solidly built GP-1 used on the ladder mount of my camper. To be used for field communications on a 32ft mast since it is such a light load on a windy, snowy forest road on the North Shore of Lake Superior while working the JBeargrease Dog Sled Race. Time below is on the school evac shelters roof.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna about two years ago (might have been three I can't recall) and it's been on the roof of the house on a ten foot pole ever since. It has performed great! This antenna does a great job, I can reach repeaters 30 miles away from my home QTH with 5 watts on 2 meters while connected to my hand held Kenwood TH-K20 (another great item).

It has a small foot print and has survived several storms with winds as high as 60 mph. This is a highly recommended antenna for dual or single band operation.

KF5PHO Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2012 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for an inconspicuous antenna to place atop my downtown building that would blend in to the existing commercial antenna farm. It only took me 5 min to pre assemble the antenna and about the same to attach it on an existing mounting pole. It has vastly out preformed all of the previous antennas I have put up there and looks great at the same time. I am buying another as soon as I can find a place at home for one.