Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: by K4KIO Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by K4KIO
Hexbeam: by K4KIO Reviews: 158 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $669
Description: A six band, broadband, G3TXQ- designed, hexagonal beam with performance on par with a two element Yagi but a much smaller physical footprint is fully tuned and ready to go. This is a plug and play antenna, not a kit. It can be assembled in an evening with no measurements or tuning needed. No traps or coils are required and a single coax feeds all bands. Available for Bands 20 – 6 meters in various combinations. All steel components are stainless and non metallic components are UV resistant. Mount on a push up mast or rooftop. The sturdy aircraft aluminum base plate has never been reported to fail by hundreds of users. A “no questions asked” 30 day refund offer comes with each beam.
More info: http://www.k4kio.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by K4KIO.

NP4GW Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2018 12:06 Send this review to a friend
I am happy A+++++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just put up the antenna 3 days ago and I was surprised how easy it was to assemble it.
Explanations were detailed and clear to understand. Now it's on top on my tower with a small AR-40 rotor AND I am getting 5/9 plus most of the time. I am happy about this antenna and I am expecting to do some great DX with it.
Good job

WR8O Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2018 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Only gave it a 4 because it keeps getting knocked down here in the winds of Wyoming. Just put it up for the third time and keeping my fingers crossed.

Last winter wind gusts were really strong 70 - 80 mph. If the strong winds lasted a short time it might be no problem but sometimes they last for days.

The problem is with the aluminum mast to bottom plate bracket. The high winds got to flexing the 90 deg. angle until it just snapped with the Hexbeam winding up in my back yard. You need to keep those u bolt holes to a minimum so as to not weaken the bracket.

Notice where the top of the mast should fit flat against the bottom of the bracket which would reduce flexing in that direction. With the 90 deg. inside bend of the bracket being rounded, once the u bolts are tightened the top of the mast can't get any closer to the bottom of the bracket than 1/8 to 1/4 inch. you'll need to file down some of the to edge of the mast so that when the u bolts are tightened. most the mast top rests up against the bottom of the mounting bracket.

Along with making sure the mast top and bracket are tight, when you park the ant, you might make sure the part of the mounting bracket that bolts to the mast is in line with the prevailing winds so there is minimal flexing of the 90 deg. bend.

If you don't have strong winds, just enjoy as the KIO Hexbeam is operationally excellent. If it gets knocked down again, I love the ant and I'll put it up again.

73 Ron WR8O

W4PIG Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2018 15:29 Send this review to a friend
4YEARS GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE HAD MY HEX BEAM UP 4 YEARS OF GREAT SERVICE. PLUS GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM LEO YOU CANT BEAT IT FOR WHAT IT IS WORKED LOTS OF PILE UPS WITH IT. 73

W9RAC Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2018 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Beam Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put up a KIO Hex last week. My situation is a bit unique. I live in the forest, inside 15 ac of heavy woods. On my property is a hill in the back with around 200 foot of elevation and a plateau area at about 70 foot elevation. It requires 300 foot linier to get to the 70 foot spot. Living in the woods I have a 20, 40, 60, 80, 160 all flat top dipoles up at around 85 foot n the trees. I wanted to try something different. I ordered the Glen Martin 9 foot heavy duty tower, 9 foot mast, Yaesu G-450A rotor, KIO hexbeam, 300 foot coax and 300 ft of heavy duty rotor cable. I did the assembly at the site in the woods. The Hex Beam was flawless in its manufacture making the assembly a breeze. I could not believe it. Its flat as a pancake on the bands I chose to have, 20, 17 and 6 for local talk. I have to say its a great product. I did order a few extras to beef it up being in the woods and up 70 foot, the ice cord set, universal mast clamp. I have been getting great reports on the Hex. Comparing it to the 20 meter flat top dipole at 65 foot in real time, the HEX gets much better reports, has a better receive and is considerably quieter. Being in the forest I have generally a ZERO noise level most times but the Hex even drops atmospheric noise. A added benefit is being able to talk to the owner Leo with ease regarding questions before/during/after purchase who is a great guy! If you care to see the installation of it, WWW.W9RAC.com and click on Hex Beam link. I put some pictures on as I went, might give you some ideas on yours depending on your location. It's been a lot of fun so far I don't see it changing. Will be a lot of fun this winter. 73 Rich

AE7KB Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2018 01:05 Send this review to a friend
5 Year Report  Time owned: more than 12 months
After five long years baking in the Arizona sun, I collapsed the mast and removed the Hexbeam to replace the coax and perform a detailed inspection. The station was running fine when I took it down.

I upgraded to the universal mast mount system but the antenna itself required only minimal maintenance and adjustment.

Tucson isn’t famous for it’s ice and snow but the summer sun down here relentlessly destroys almost everything over time along with our fair share of high winds but this antenna just begs for more.

Thanks Leo K4KIO for one tough antenna. Money well spent.

KK4WL Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2018 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Great. Seems as good as my TA33  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It took me 3 hours to assemble. The only ant I have ever assembled that I did not have to tune.I put my rigexpert on it before I put it up on tower and all 6 bands were 1.3 or less in the center. I thought that such a silly looking ant could never work as good as the published specs. Boy was I wrong.
I am completely satisfied with the performance and construction. I have made over 400 DX contacts in the first month with ant at 35 feet.

I painted the spreaders. If you don't paint them like is recommended they will be damaged by the sun. Plan on it.
A great ant and great company.
Thanks to Leo K4KIO for such good service.

KI6EQW Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2017 11:34 Send this review to a friend
California Sun is doing it in..  Time owned: more than 12 months
Concur with AE5GG's remarks. Support cords have failed, and fiberglass is heavily oxidized by the sun. Replaced cords with larger diameter material, but I am waiting for band wires/fiberglass spreaders to fail. May replace it then with the same, or move to a SteppIr urban beam. Antenna has worked well for me.

AE5GG Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2017 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Company & Product!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In all the companies that I have dealt with in over 35 years as a ham none of them beats the quality of construction and personal service that I received at KIO Technologies! They are fantastic! I had a few questions along the way and found Leo to be very responsive and extremely kind. I highly recommend this product! I also found the materials and instruction manuals, in addition to the website to be very helpful!

Here are some installation points that I would like to pass along:

I built the KIO Hex Beam using a 5' antenna mounting pole inserted into a heavy metal umbrella stand (which I kept in our outdoor table for greater stability). One person could easily build the Hex Beam.

After completing my installation, I measured the SWR on all bands and found it to be surprisingly far better than I expected on all bands (I purchased 20 through 6 meters).

After reading the comments I did spray paint the fiberglass arms with black UV protection paint. I found this useful as I had to collapse the fiberglass arms to get the antenna through a series of trees as I navigated the antenna to its mounting position. (The spray paint helped me to quickly identify where to re-extend the fiberglass arms as you could easily see the difference between the part that was painted and the unpainted portion which was inserted into the next larger fiberglass pole.)

I purchased the ice chords for enhanced stability in windy conditions as well as the occasional ice storms that we get in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I’d recommend this to anyone in any location for enhanced support of the fiberglass arms.

I would recommend putting some coax seal over the connection points for each band as they attach to the center pole. I did this to reduce the amount of possible corrosion from weather and, more importantly, to reduce the chance that the nuts might loosen as the antenna moves under very windy conditions.

The KIO Technology website will tell you that you can install 20 through 6 meters and even benefit from low SWR on 2m. Well, using my antenna analyzer, I found it to be well within acceptable SWR limits on 1.25cm (USA 222-225MHz) and 70cm (USA 420-450MHz). Leo pointed out that the radiation pattern on those last two bands was not as clean as the others so he didn’t add that to the manufacturer’s recommended available bands. But in my opinion, the antenna is good from 70cm through 20m – that’s 9 bands (or minimally 7 bands if you stick to KIO’s recommendations and you purchase all available bands). But even if you exclude the 220 and 420 MHz bands – it’s still a FANTASTIC VALUE!

KK5JY Rating: 3/5 May 9, 2017 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Electrically Excellent, Support Excellent, Materials so-so  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just decommissioned my KIO hexbeam after four years of continuous service. I used it on two different masts, and electrically, it is excellent. Even in the EZNEC+ models, the hexbeam at 20' beats a rotatable dipole at 30' for maximum forward gain at low angles. My real-world experiences match the models. The hexbeam designs in general offer excellent SNR and significant amounts of gain and directivity.

My experiences talking with Leo are also top-notch. He is always willing to answer questions, even years after a sale. I would gladly do business with him again.

My only complaint about the hexbeam is the material selection. The KIO used black rope, which I assume is dacron-covered nylon, like many of the antenna ropes sold in ham shops. Unfortunately, the rope is a little thin for continuous service, and after four years outdoors, my antenna was starting to have ropes fail from UV exposure, and most of them were quite stiff and weathered. I have thicker ropes of the same material and construction that are still very flexible and fresh after the same amount of outdoor exposure.

Also, the resin in the fiberglass on my KIO suffered substantial UV damage after four years of exposure. This affected mainly the tops of the arms.

The wires and their insulation were still in fantastic shape after four years, as was the hardware on the center post, and all the stainless hooks that hold the ropes to the fiberglass. The only issues I had were with the fiberglass and ropes.

If I were to install a new hexbeam, I would still go with KIO, but I would make a couple of changes. First, I would paint all of the fiberglass with an enamel finish, several days prior to initial assembly. Second, I would replace all of the structural ropes with thicker ones of the same lengths, for longevity.

Given that such simple things would substantially improve the longevity of the hex, and given that mine was fairly well worn out after four years, these seem like things that would be integrated better into the manufacturing process up front. I'm sure it's a trade-off of cost vs. average service life. That said, for an antenna that is nearly $1000 when fully-loaded with options, four years just doesn't seem like a good service life.

AG5GP Rating: 2/5 Apr 29, 2017 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna, but....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the KIO hexbeam for about 8 months. I will say its radio performance is outstanding, but the design and structure does not withstand sustained winds in the 30-40 mph environment very well. My hexbeam is mounted on a 55 ft tower with a hygain rotor. During our frequent Oklahoma windstorms, the spreaders are constantly bending and swaying as well as the antenna elements. The wind stress on the elements have caused them to loosen the screws multiple times on the terminal posts and results in coming off the post entirely. Additionally, the spreader support cords are continually slipping off the eyehook on the center post even when bending s-hook closed. There is simply too much bend in the spreaders which in time will cause a lot of "loosening" in the entire antenna. I have had to lower the tower for maintenance on the antenna now about once a month since I have had it. Also, in the strong winds here, the center post has become loose twice now and the set screws that hold it to the mounting bracket have to be retightened on a regular basis. While I really like the radio performance of the antenna, I would not recommend it for areas where gusty high winds are experienced.