Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Blade Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Blade
Begali Blade Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $255
Description: High-performance straight key based on "Swedish Pump" design
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Blade.

KD1W Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2019 01:57 Send this review to a friend
This is a great key!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Blade for a couple of years now. It is a great key and I have never regretted spending the money on it. It really looks great on my desk and has such a smooth feel. I have not tried to adjust it for a lighter touch yet because haven't had the need to.

It is much larger and heavier than I had anticipated and does not move around on my desk when sending. I has a very solid feel to it.

It is my "go to" key. I have not used my bencher paddles or J-38 since I received the Blade. I'm sure there are other expensive straight keys out there that may compare but, as far as I know, this is the best. You won't have to buy another straight key. This one will last a lifetime.

I just ordered the HST-III so am excited to receive yet another great Begali product!

VK5ISO Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2019 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Marvelous key, pity for the poor PR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

My old Junker straight key (which is otherwise a very fine key) was inducing quite a lot of arm fatigue, partly because of the shape of the knob which is really too small for my hands. So, I finally decided to jump the gun and get a "Swedish Pump" style key with a larger knob to give my hand a rest.The Begali Blade was the prime candidate.

First the good: I am absolutely delighted with the Blade which I just received from the UK.The build quality is superb, it is a gorgeous key and I feel the price to quality ratio is the best among the various modern keys and paddles I have (by N3ZN, Scheunemann), perhaps because Begali produces them on a semi-industrial basis, with all the economies of scale that involves.

Now, the less good.

First, as I wanted to be sure that the Begali Blade fully implemented the "Swedish Pump" design and was unable to find any clear pictures of the actual mechanism on the web, I contacted the Begali factory by email to ask some questions (I live in South Australia, some 2,200kms from the nearest Begali dealer, RF Solutions, in Queensland).

Bruna Begali answered my email with some rather generic statements and told me she would be delighted to send me a couple pictures of the mechanism the following week, when she returned to the factory.

Then, . . . nothing . . .

So, rather embarrassed, I recontacted her once; then, again, to ask if it was possible to send me the pictures she had promised . . . No answer.

I had been ghosted!

The second point is that the instructions for the key amount to an old photocopy which is so faded and blurred that I had to use a magnifying lens to be able to read anything (my eyes are just fine, thank you!) I would suggest something a little bit less unprepossessing for a key of that quality.

The experience has left a somewhat unpleasant taste in my mouth as I am a serious customer who has just purchased one of their keys, all the more so when I contrast it with the speed and friendliness with which Tony Baleno (N3ZN) or Marshall Emm respond to emails and provide the technical details requested. I can only attribute it to a combination of work-load and stress, as I know that times are hard in Italy, and will focus on enjoying my beautiful key and endeavor to forget the rest.

So, unfortunately, while the key is definitely worth a 5, the rest of the experience is probably worth a 3. I averaged it out.

KA2Z Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2018 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful Begali Blade  Time owned: more than 12 months
If your primary mode of choice is CW, this key will make you very happy.
It is very attractive to look at, but even more important, it is a pleasure to use!
very comfortable and easy on the wrist.
Focus on the content of your message rather than the mechanics of sending.
Begali is the best!

WA3GM Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2017 08:17 Send this review to a friend
SIMPLY THE BEST  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
To Pietro & Bruna

GRAZIE MILLE

I have had my Blade now for a few months and what a pleasure to operate.

Best straight key I have ever owned... perfection in every sense of the word.

The packaging was impeccable and arrived safely.

Thank you for another great product.

73 DE Greg WA3GM
SKCC 10382T

KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2016 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Extraordinary Key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received this great key from another local OM who was downsizing. This is my third Begali key and they are all simply excellent.

This Blade is very solid and smooth to operate. I don't care for the high knob so replaced it with a low 'mushroom' cap with skirt and this just put the icing on the cake (for my operating style).

I've had many straight keys over the years and still have two wonderful and diverse keys that I use along with the Blade ... but the Blade is front and center and is my "go to" key for comfortable Q's.

Begali products just can't be beat ... high quality and Piero and Bruna are simply great to work with for new purchases or support with the keys for any/all questions you may have.

WB5AGF Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2016 12:27 Send this review to a friend
typical Begali perfection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a Begali 'Blade' CW straight key at the 2016 Dayton Hamvention last week and now, after getting caught up (somewhat) on sleep, will make some comments.

As is the case with the other Begali keys that I have familiarity with (I own a Begali 'Spark' key but no others up until now) the Blade is, essentially, mechanically 'perfect', as well as being a work-of-art (it's beautiful). Even if you don't agree with some design feature the way that it is built is as-good-as-it-gets.

Things noticed about the Begali 'Blade' key :

- The build quality, and finish, are above reproach

- There is a difficult-to-describe synergy between (as best I can tell) the use of the 'Swedish key' style flat-blade pivot and the metal lever arm (not only the material but also the cross-section). The result is that, when pressing the knob, the sensation imparted to (and through) the fingers is that there is a direct connection to the contact surfaces. (This may sound a bit esoteric but once you've experienced it you'll understand.)

I do 'question' the use of the tip (on the opposite end from the knob) of the lever arm as the contact mounting location. I would like to see how using a 'metal tongue', out a bit from the lever arm (as is done on the Danish Amplidan and NT9K keys), would affect the key's 'feel'.

It's a gorgeous key.

- Paul, WB5AGF (25 May 2016)

KD6SX Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2016 07:23 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been sending CW with a straight key since 1958 and this is the best key I have ever used--effortless and relaxing to operate. I agree with the others who have described this key as a work of art. The Begalis are a pleasure to do business with. Bruna often e-mailed me during the process of purchasing and shipping the key. When dealing with the Begalis, you get an exceptional product along with outstanding customer service.

K6ELQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2014 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Superb straight key!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I replaced my trusty J-38 with a Begali Camelback. Nothing wrong with it, very nice key, but I wanted something a little more robust and decided to try the Blade. The spring on the Camelback does not compare with the "spring" on the Blade. The Blade is slightly more massive than the Camelback and is as long as my Vibroplex Presentation bug. I've been using this key exclusively for over a year for all my SKCC activities including several 24-hour sprints. Never got tired using it; it's just a very comfortable straight key to use. Doesn't move around the desk, easy to adjust and looks great.

This is my sixth Begali, including four paddles and the aforementioned Camelback. As mentioned elsewhere the key comes extremely well packed and Bruna is a joy to deal with. This is a keeper for sure, unless Piero dreams up something better. I'm spoiled by Begali keys and now seriously eyeing the Intrepid.

73 de K6ELQ Tony
SKCC 10250S

K2ROC Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2013 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Holy smokes!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my new Blade key today. It was so well packed that I thought I might have to use my table saw to get to it. What a stunning piece of craftsmanship! Right out of the box it works flawlessly, and makes sending almost automatic. Very, very pleased!

W8FB Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2013 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Nice key  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very nice key, but I still keep going back to my Baumuster T2 (Lorenz key). The old German military keys just have a feel that I like