Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | LDG Z-100Plus Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-100Plus
LDG Z-100Plus Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $159.99
Description: LDG’s popular Z-100 economy tuner is now the Z-100Plus. Still small and simple to use, the Z-100Plus sports 2000 memories that store both frequency and tuning parameters. It will run on any voltage source from 7 to 18 volts; six AA batteries will run it for a year of normal use. Current draw while tuning is less than 100ma.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/1/49/1

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-100Plus.

VU2OB Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2016 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Magic Box  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using two LDG Z-100plus at my shack for the last four years. Both of them are working wonderfully. I recommend this to all my ham friends. ( Read operating manual first )Sreekumar, New Delhi. vu2ob

N6AIR Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2015 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
As soon as I got my LDG Z-100Plus tuner, I could tell it was a quality product.

I prefer to use a manual tuner with meters for my base station but this auto tuner works great in my mobile setup. I also have the little Elecraft autotuner which is smaller but I find the LDG is easier to use.

The one complaint I have is that I had to solder a couple wires on the circuit board so that I could use an internal battery. Using an internal battery is the only way to go, so why didn't they include an internal 9 volt battery connector? Do they think that hams like to solder every chance they get? Well, some do, but I found it to be a pain.

As for the memories, I'm not sure that works. Maybe it does and maybe I'm doing something wrong. I don't know. But I find that it often has to retune frequencies that it should remember. That's not a big deal because when it retunes it does so fast.

The manual, which you can find online, is very well written.

I've used this tuner with a TS-520S, TS-120S, SGC-2020 and FT817. With all of those radios, it's worked flawlessly. With the TS-520S I have to crank back the power from 145 watts because the tuner isn't supposed to handle more than 125 watts.

If you want an auto tuner, LDG is the way to go. They've been in business a long time and they have a lot of happy customers and I count myself as one of them.

NP4GW Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2015 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for themoney  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm an old timer from the old school and never really paid attention to automatic tuners since I always used the manual type, well the little LDG changed my mind, good things can come in small packages. The Z-100Plus actually remembers each band so once tuned, you can go back to the same band later with no need to tune again.
It can be used with just about any radio, plug in an external wall wart or make a little battery pack for it and at the push of a button, you are tuned. My antennas are a zero five 43 and tune just fine.rig tt jupiter.
My old trusty manual tuner has become a dust collector. Highly recommended.

K6BBB Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2015 22:58 Send this review to a friend
The Little Box WORKS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the only tuner I've ever used. I'm running an IC-718 barefoot, both at home and mobile.

My mobile antenna is a Hustler foldover mast with a 60 meter resonator. After tuning the antenna with an SWR meter for my favorite 5MHz frequency, the Z-100+ will match the radio to the antenna at 75, 60, 40, 20, 17, 15 and 10 meters at 1.3:1 or less. 12 meters at 1.5:1.

The rotatable dipole at the house has the same resonators and matches at 1.2:1 over the same bands, 12 meters at 1.3:1.

I use the LDG patch cable for the 718 - how could it be simpler? It's small, efficient and reasonably priced. The relays clatter and buzz while tuning a new frequency but they don't wake the dead.

If LDG made Z-1000+ (1kw) version, I would buy it for a future linear amp.

K4DZQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2014 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Can't Be Beat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built a KX-3 and a HardRock-50 linear amp for it. I wanted a tuner for the the system and finally decided on the LDG Z-100Plus. It has proved to be just what I was looking for. A good choice for me and what I use it for. As has been said before " buzz buzz, lights flash and match made".

N7AG Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 11:36 Send this review to a friend
GOOD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It just works with any reasonable swr. Plug it in, push the button, buzz-buzz, tuned. Appliance operating at its best, & sometimes you just want to operate.

N4LPK Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2014 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Great little tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this on January 25, 2014 at a Winter Field Day event. I used it with a Kenwood TS 570D and a MFJ 2286 Monopole antenna. The antenna has a air coil. I however shorted the coil and just used the tuner and worked stations all over the country. I used it on 10,15,20,and 40 with good results. I am very pleased with this little tuner.

KJ4NWZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 02:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Little ATU  Time owned: months
I've had my LDG Z-100 Plus since April, 2011. I wanted to use it portable so, as instructed by the manual, I hot-wired the ATU to operate with a 9v battery.

With a velcro strap, I now have the Z-100Plus tethered to the bottom of my FT-817ND and with a homebrewed 40' dipole I can work 80 to 6m. By the way, the manual says the tuner weighs 1 lb. Mine weighs all of 8 oz.

I tried to use the Z-100Plus with my stealth raingutter antenna which conventional wisdom says should be operated as an end-fed antenna. I learned my lesson and read the manual again. The ATU doesn't work with EFAs or random length antennas unless you add an external balun.

Overall, an excellent little antenna, ESPECIALLY with the battery operation option. Highly recommended.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2013 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Still is and will always be..a black box that works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wow, it has been well over 18 months since I bought my LDG Z100+ autotuner, actually, its been about 20 months since I bought my black box from LDG. Ever notice how some things change almost overnight it seems, while other things stay the same, maybe it looks a bit different, or some other tiny feature has been added, or subtracted? So it is with the LDG Z100+ automatic antenna tuner. While a lot of other autotuner either change this or that, LDG changes very little with their tuners, they may discontinue one model in favor of the new and improved model, but the outside, and for the most part the insides have remained unchanged. My little Z100+ while I don't have any model of radio I can use as a fully automatic tuner, I've used as a semiauto tuner. This tuner is mainly used now for testing not just the occasional antenna, but more for testing certain older rigs that have no internal tuner, or tuner at all.

I have used this and my trusty little straight key now on a couple of older Yaesu rigs and a couple of Swan rigs, hook up the G5RV into the tuner, run a patch cable from rig to tuner, plug the key in, switch the rig to CW and let the tuning begin! As in mist cases with these rigs I am running 100 watts or less so this is ideal, cause the battery pack makes it so very easy, no power supply to have to connect to, basically a plug n play device. I haven't found an antenna or rig that this tuner wont work with, are they out there...I'm sure they are, I just haven't found it yet. A lot of these tuners are becoming hard to find, are they not building them, or is it that folks are holding onto them? I have toyed with the idea of selling my little Z100+, but then I think if I do, then I have ta change up my desk, get that rig that I'm testing connected to power, connect my LDG AT600Pro tuner, etc. etc......NAH, think I'll hold onto my Z100+ a while longer, I'm not going anywhere, nor is the tuner, and there will always be a rig that comes through the shack that I gotta test, think I'll just keep MY little black box..that still works!

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2013 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Very competent tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works with many brands, Icom etc, use a brand specific cables or as is. I've used it both ways and while specific cabling makes it one touch, it takes very little extra effort without. Tunes a "wet noodle" Hi Hi. Not really, but it's tuned anything I've tried it with, g5rvs, verticals and does so efficiently, many times you go back to a specific freq it latches on quickly.
Have yet to do the battery box, maybe if I get bored...
For the price I'd buy it again, have had brand/rig specific LDG tuners, but you're "stuck" with it if you sell radio...or practically give it away with rig, I've used this for 3 yrs and many rigs, it's a keeper..