Reviews Categories | Microphones for ham radio | ICOM SM-50 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM-50
ICOM SM-50 Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$$$ SHOP AROUND
Description: NEW ICOM DESK MICROPHONE IC-SM50

This NEW high performance base microphone

FOR IC-7800/7700/7600/7200/756PROIII/7400/910.
FOR IC-706/703/7000 WITH OPC-589 Adapter
More info: http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/sm50-dynamic-desk-microphone-with-flexible-neck-p-6300.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM-50.

KW2Q Rating: 2/5 Nov 28, 2018 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Works better without the preamp on my 7610!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
At one time or another I've owned most of Icom's preamped base microphones. I decided to try the SM-50 for two reasons. It was recommended by Icom for use with their 7610 and because it used a dynamic mic element. The first thing I discovered when setting-up the mic level is that the level pot under the base just had to be cracked on! Even at that and with the level on the 7610 adjusted properly, the transmit audio sounded as if it was over-driven from the mic. I sent a message to Icom's customer service explaining exactly how I adjusted the mic and radio set-up and asked for help. The response I received said "the microphone and radio have to be adjusted very carefully"! At this point I decided to by-pass the mic preamp and run the mic element directly to the radio by making a wiring change under the mic base. What a pleasant surprise! I was able to properly modulate the radio with the radio mic gain set at 40 (out of 100). Now I was receiving reports that my transmit frequency response was much better than when the audio was going through the preamp. So, in my opinion, the SM-50 is a keeper as long as the internal preamp is bypassed. Be sure to use a 1 uF DC blocking capacitor when connecting the mic directly to pin 1 on the radio or turn the mic bias off.

VK4SX Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2018 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent audio reproduction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok I use Radio Sports RS-60CF virtually exclusively, wanted a good desk top microphone, I heard some friends on air with ICOM SM-50, I was USING dynamic capsule for many years, I read the CONS of the SM-50, most referring to the PTT CLUNK etc,
ok firstly this mic is delivered with the PRE AMP pot FULLY OPEN, so if you do not reduce the gain, the PTT CLUNK will modulate S9+ with no audio,
secondly, the Goose neck is secured to the Alloy base with 4 Grubs screws, ONE grub screw had a INDENT drilled into the alloy base collar,if the first grub screw IS NOT locked up into the Indent, the Goose neck collar WILL NOT PULL UP TIGHT with the four screws, the first locking screw has to be located into the indent, this movement is 85% of the NOISE so if NOT locked tight, wobble and clunking will cause the high level noise when ptt etc,

THIS is a very very good mic,
nice clean RF free modulation, correct ferrite beads over wiring internal to the pre amp, makes for a wonderful Microphone,
Icom 7610 setting, BASS - 0, TREBLE - 0
MIC GAIN 20%, CMP - L2, SM-50 Gain +7%
it takes 5mins to tighten goose neck, and 10 secs to BACK OFF SM-50 Gain, after that, there should be NO CONS
Dennis
VK4SX

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2017 15:18 Send this review to a friend
i use up-down buttons  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I acquired the SM-50, because I must use (due to handicap)the up-down buttons when varying the frequencies on my ic-7200. Operate only CW and digital/do not use the SSB mode.

In the near future, I may try to use the SSB mode ?

Ken KC8Y

WB9DZS Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2017 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Great audio, but susceptible to vibrations  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I loved this microphone in comparison to Icom-HM36 hand mic that came with my Icom IC-9100. I later realized that when I turned on my Alpha 374 amplifier, the vibrations from the fan picked up by my desk caused a high noise level on this mic. I resolved the issue by building a pad of mic base, by using two 6" x 6" x 1/8" rubber pads purchase in the plumbing section a Lowes and placing a couple sheets of 1/8" pipe insulation between the rubber pads. I also put rubber feet on the Alpha Amp. The cushioning of the mic base substantially reduced the noise level from the amp vibration to the desk. Also, the Low Cut filter on the mic does the job, but did not want to limit the audio. I took me hours to figure out the noise came from the vibration of the amp, and not the just the background blower noise.

G3OZN Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2017 06:14 Send this review to a friend
A good mic nice audio reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Run with my new IC7700 and I am getting excellent reports, some stations actually ask what I am using audio wise. A bit lighter than I thought it would be but still very stable on the desk. I think this will remain in my shack for a long while.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2016 05:20 Send this review to a friend
needed up/down switchesaced old mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Obtained SM-50 a few weeks ago. Because of handicap, required large UP/DOWN switches (SM-30 had none). Love the microphone, too :)

N5WJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2016 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Nice Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this mic a few weeks ago to replace my SM-30 which worked fine but I just wanted a bigger footprint mic... and the SM-50 is much bigger.. I have found it to work great and have not found the noise a lot of guys have complained about on this mic.. I love it .. get great Audio reports from most everyone I work...

73's Frank.. N5WJ

N1GMV Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2014 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Very good but not perfect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I get great compliments but not giving it 5 stars and here is why. Clunk when you key, it's not aweful bad but why is it there? I have it connected to a 7600 and in the rig I bumped the treble 2 notches and the bass 1 notch and run at 3khz. I then backed off the level on the bottom of the microphone a bit so the alc would run normal when radio mic gain is centered.
I then opened the bottom and on all sides of the inside base of the microphone I applied small strips of Dynamat I also added some cotton wadding up the gooseneck so that it would cut some of the hollow sound. This helped eliminate some of the noise from my power supply and anything thumping the table. I also keep it on a mouse pad.

It seems every time I use my rig I get unsolicited compliemnts on the audio. I have had on a couple occasions a station to break in just to ask me what I am running.
Pretty happy with it so far but I do miss using a boom.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2014 08:39 Send this review to a friend
N0YXE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just ordered the SM50 as the SM30 that I have is a bit small. While waiting for my new mic I had a chance to use the original hand mic that came with my Icom 7200. Despite the negative remarks concerning this unit, I found that once I adjust the radio (no compression and 70 gain) this Icom product is first rate. The reports were fine and like all ICOM products, great quality, even if it was made in China. My Yaesu speaker mic for my HT (made in China) is total crap. Keep you original ICOM hand mic and use it as a spare. It works well.

M0OIC Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having just purchased the Icom IC-7100 I was very complementary about the rig but goodness the basic hand microphone! Why didn't Icom charge an extra 20.00 and supply a microphone that works, like the HM-151? We looked at other options but being so impressed with the IC-7100 we decided to purchase the SM-50. My wife 2E1SIS prefers a desk mic and the rig will be used static more so than mobile.

We couldn't be happier with the SM-50, excellent quality of manufacture and quality of audio. Stations worked regularly have complemented us on the audio and those met face to face have confirmed that it sounds like me. I was advised by some of these chaps to throw the fist mic in the bin, but I will keep it in its box to sell on with the rig as never used.

I cannot speak highly enough about the SM-50 apart from the need to put a bit of sponge under to cut out the banging noise, base against desk top. I used non-slip mat and it is fine.

A pity that I had to spend another 200 on the microphone to have a rig that worked but we are happy that I did.