Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Help

Reviews Summary for WOUXUN KG-UVD1P
WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Reviews: 161 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $110.00
Description: A DUAL BAND [UHF,VHF] HT WITH DTMF AND MULTIPLE FREQUENCY RANGES TO ACCOMMODATE VARYING COUNTRIES PROFESSIONAL RADIO MARKETS
More info: http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UVD1P.htm

You can write your own review of the WOUXUN KG-UVD1P.

KS3J Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2018 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A couple of years ago, before the massive proliferation of cheap Chinese radios, I bought one of these at a hamfest, along with a spare battery and several accessories. I wanted a backup radio for my emergency kit, and this inexpensive dual-bander fit the bill nicely.

Before driving home, I used my laptop to program the radio, put one battery on charge, and connected the hand mic and my mobile antenna via an adapter. I used it all the way home and was impressed -- I got good audio reports, was able to achieve pretty decent performance, and found no issues.

The radio has actually become my preferred one if I need to grab and HT and go ... for talking to friends at a hamfest, working an event, or on a mountain hike.

The presence of an actual encoder knob is a huge plus over the cheaper radios. I'd gotten quite used to it on my Icom radios and could not imagine living without it.

The radio is solidly built. The method of battery installation / retention is a little weird ... but after a while I've found it secure and reliable. Battery life is excellent -- I've never felt the need to buy an "extended" battery.

There have been reports of bad quality control, but I apparently got a great one. I recommend buying at a hamfest so that you can actually try the radio out before closing the deal.

I have no need to use the radio out-of-band, so I can't comment on those capabilities. The CHIRP software works just great with these radios and I recommend it.

KI4SDY Rating: 0/5 Jul 6, 2018 13:43 Send this review to a friend
JUNK!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A nearby budding ham acquired on of these and asked me to program it for him. Everything worked, except either the squelch or the busy program is locked open. Constant noise with full signal indicated and no way to stop it. Resetting the squelch level or turning the busy lock on and off has no effect.

I have bought two Baofengs and they worked perfectly by comparison. Always buy these on Amazon covered by their Prime guarantee. That way if you get a bad one, they will replace it and pay the postage!

AC8JU Rating: 4/5 Mar 17, 2018 11:46 Send this review to a friend
worthwhile  Time owned: more than 12 months
Only real gripe is the things will kill batteries while turned off, and fairly quickly. They do charge right back up without complaint. Surprise is when you put on the optional AA battery tray. It will kill that, too.
I have two of them, and use them quite a lot. First one I bought new 7 years ago. The other was sold as a tech special by it's first owner. Turned out it had been set to "Transmit Inhibit". Gotta watch those menus. Having only one charger, I just use whichever has the best charge. Instead of a spare battery, I have a spare Wouxun.
I have other HT's, but these are the only dual-band ones.

AC7CW Rating: 2/5 Feb 20, 2018 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Not worth much  Time owned: more than 12 months
The one time I actually needed this radio to work it lost it's programming. I had to program it manually, on the fly, from memory. I did it but it was stressful. Recently I tried to listen to the newest satellite but all I heard is intermod from a local repeater. Truly not worth much of anything regardless of the low price.

KB8LKH Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2017 17:52 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent HT.

At the time I purchased it, it was also Part 90 compliant. This radio is NOT Part 90 compliant anymore.

Regardless of Part 90 compliance, this is still an excellent little HT.

I also have the programming software and cable. These items are a huge help, being the radio is not that simple to manually program.

Surprisingly, a great little dual band HT for the cheap price.

DAN KB8LKH

VE5EIS Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2015 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Good value in a quality radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I read some of these reviews and I wonder if people are talking about the same radio.

I've had mine for a year and a half. I've since acquired two Icoms and a Kenwood, plus three Baofengs and a Puxing. All of them have some aspect or other that gives them an edge over the others, but I still have the Wouxun. Here's what I'd say about it:

- Compared to the Baofengs (which admittedly are cheaper) it's way more sensitive. It seems in the ballpark of the sensitivity of the Japanese radios.
- the batteries seem to have good life. I got a dual-slot charger and an extra battery so it's easy to swap between batteries if I use the HT a bunch, but I haven't found a lot of need for a second battery.
- the stock antenna leaves something to be desired, but it is better than the stock Baofeng antennas, and the stock Japanese antennas have the same problem. Buy one of those extended 17-inch whips and you'll do way better. (Wouxun makes a nice collapsible one if you don't mind a metal antenna. It is still resonant while collapsed, if you want greater compactness at the expense of gain. Use it fully collapsed or fully extended, but not in between.)
- if you learn how, you can definitely program this radio manually, but it is way easier to program it on a computer. None of my radios are that fun to program manually, so I don't think the Wouxun is at a huge disadvantage here. Buy a programming cable (the cheap ones work great with Linux; with Windows you'll save some mental anguish by buying a genuine Kenwood cable, which uses the same pinout and will have better Windows drivers). CHIRP is free and will program these radios under Linux, Windows or Mac OS X (as well as being able to program a lot of other radios).

Overall - probably the best value in an HT. Better than the Baofengs (which are still worth buying given the cost), but this is a superior everyday radio if you're only going to own one.

KK8ZZ Rating: 0/5 Jan 2, 2015 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Terrible  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Eventually, you will prefer to shoot yourself in the head before you ever want to program these beasts by hand. I often wonder how many potentially great hams have just quit the hobby after buying one of these dogs. Run, do not walk, if you're ever even offered one free. Get a Kenwood K-20 or something like it that is still a bargain but won't cause you to stroke out when you unbox one. There should be a special place in radio Hell for Wouxun for manufacturing these and sending them to America.

K8WRS Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2015 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
The manual tells you not to charge it with the radio on but some people don't read.
This is the best China is offering unless it is made there by a Japan company with better quality control.
Built strong, operates well and you can get an English translation of how to program it on line.
It really beats the $40.00 radio by leaps and bounds in quality. Maybe I was lucky but none of the members of the clubs I belong to complain about this radio and many own it.
Many also like the $40.00 radio but my expectations are higher, they feel cheap and seem to have a brittle case. I traded for one but have not used it extensively. So it cost me nothing which I expect it to be worth?
I have a Yaesu VX-5R I paid over $350. for but programing it is worse than the Wouxun.

WW6L Rating: 0/5 Oct 28, 2014 07:47 Send this review to a friend
bad charger design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I left mine on while in the charger. Apparently the charger cant keep up with the battery and the radio (even while squelched) so it self destructs.

KC0LRP Rating: 1/5 Apr 19, 2014 17:04 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
It just up and quite for no reason the only thing it will do is receive F.M.radio no transmit and it was just setting on my desk and went to check in on Sunday night net and nothing.